Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #106

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First try

Got mine one week ago (the packaging of this lens is top) and I was finally able to go out this afternoon and give it a try on my K3.
It is a good opportunity to get some digital work done as I a mostly analog recently.

The look I get from this lens is for sure different from the other lenses (I have only recent Pentax lenses) and I must admit I like the results.
For sure I will need some practice to find the good subjects to shoot with this one (just like it is the case for any other lens).

Here are some examples I have put on my Flickr account:
Lomography Daguerreotype | Flickr

The results can be very soft (with the widest aperture) or very sharp (as soon as you get wider).
You can get some 'interesting' bookeh depending on the 'metal plates' you insert to get your aperture.

Plenty of room to experiment and not knowing what you will get as final result is something that pleases me.

12-05-2016, 11:53 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on the lens!
Looks beautiful and I must say that this is one of the fairer offerings from Lomography.
05-04-2017, 05:41 AM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got an email from Lomo/Kickstarter, and it looks like they're working on another project called the Neptune Convertible Art Lens System: The Neptune Convertible Art Lens System by Lomography ? Kickstarter

And best of all, it's available in Pentax K Mount! Along with a couple of little niche manufacturers called "Nikon" and "Canon" (?).
05-04-2017, 06:30 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I grabbed a copy of the Brass Monkey (2.9/64mm) for a few reasons. The FL was a fit for my collection, the novelty was appealing, and I was happy that it was offered in PK (and wanted to them for that decision). I applaud Lomography for offering PK in the new system but I don't have the scratch and am not in need of 2 the FLs.

05-04-2017, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTom Quote
I grabbed a copy of the Brass Monkey (2.9/64mm) for a few reasons. The FL was a fit for my collection, the novelty was appealing, and I was happy that it was offered in PK (and wanted to them for that decision). I applaud Lomography for offering PK in the new system but I don't have the scratch and am not in need of 2 the FLs.

I bought the Daguerreotype primarily because it is awesome, but my wife kind of looked at me funny and said "you spent $400 on what?" There's no real rationale for me spending both marital capital and real money on the new system. But it does look cool, and it's great it's in PK mount.
05-04-2017, 07:59 AM   #111
Veteran Member

It looks good, but for me, i will skip these lenses and save for the new 85.

05-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTom Quote

These are basically the reasons for me getting the Brass Monkey (love that moniker!!) too. But I'm going to pass on this one - I can't really see any advantages over having separate lenses of each focal length apart from novelty value. But I applaud Lomography for supporting PK.

05-06-2017, 02:49 AM   #113
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I keep trying to save for FA31, and these things keep coming up... I'd like to have one, but FA31 is what I "need"
If you get the FA31, maybe you can modify it like the guys at TCSTV did with an 85mm lens to get the Petzval effect:

Skip to 17:48.

Edit: nevermind, this is not a Petzval. Sorry.

Last edited by starbase218; 05-06-2017 at 02:57 AM.
05-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I saw the Neptune, with its three lenses, I had a sudden urge to shoot with my 60+ year-old Kodak Retina.

Though the Retina doesn't have the funky bokey inserts...

-Eric