Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
chinon lens hell

Hi all,

I got a nice condition chinon 200mm f3.5 on ebay but...It wont focus to infinity, the focus barrel stops short and focusses to about 25m or so...anyone else had this issue with legacy lenses and can it be fixed?

thanks...

07-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

while a K mount it is not built for a pentax camera, the distance to the sensor/film is incorrect.

however, since this is a very simple lens (in terms of construction) you can fix this problem rather easily with a set of minature screwdrivers, a clean workspace and lens cleaning tools since you probably will get a few things dirty unless your hands happen to not emit bodily oil.

you need to take the lens apart, and re-align the focusing barrel so that it moves lower than it currently does, then you will be able to focus to infinity.

however gettting it PERFECT is very difficult, so chances are you will end up with a lens that will focus to infinity, but also be able to focus PAST infinity! so you would have to be careful

best results are with a split primsim focusing screen so that you know when to catch yourself.
07-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks!

I was sort of thinking along those lines in a weird way as i mounted it on my p30t to check if the split screen focus would align, it didnt!

but using it as a benchmarking tool is a great idea, thanks!

davebris33
07-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On a separate note, I bought a Chinon CP-7m about 20 years ago and used my Pentax lenses without a problem on it. Its Ironic.

Also, Ricoh lenses can get even more weird due to Ricoh "evolving" the k mount.

07-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
Inactive Account

It's weird - I can't use Pentax lenses on my KR10M, but I can use Rikenons on my Pentaxes...