Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #1

Protecting 15-30 front element

I'm always using B+W glass protectors on my lenses, but 15-30 is the first I got with the front element so bulging a filter seems irrelevant. The hood certainly protects a lot, but how do you feel walking around me with this thing?

A+

04-30-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Front elements are tougher than most people think.
Keep the front cap on when you are not shooting and you'll be fine.
04-30-2016, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Front elements are tougher than most people think. Keep the front cap on when you are not shooting and you'll be fine.
Yep. And mount the lens hood when the cap is off (this is a great idea with WA and UWA lenses anyway). Oh, and be a bit careful with it, of course. Point it downwards when walking around.

The DFA 15-30mm doesn't even have filter threads, so unless you want to set up filter holders and then a square filter.. well, your hands are tied. Many UWA lenses are like that, though.
04-30-2016, 05:51 PM   #4

Once I left hobby mode and moved into much more expensive medium & large format gear with the goal of optimum performance and shooting for commercial use- I completely abandoned using lens filters for protection purposes and never went back. Just one opinion in a sea of thousands who practice the contrary.

The point is don't panic- especially if the lens design doesn't let you do anything differently anyways. You'll get used to it, and eventually you may even learn to appreciate it (less ghosting, less loss of color due to flare, greater contrast and resolution).

04-30-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
I'm always using B+W glass protectors on my lenses
I never use protection filters but I can understand the logic. And on older film era lenses they made a lot of sense, a good UV filter helped cut UV light and also protected the front element of lenses whose coatings were not all that tough and often got scratched. Modern coatings however are incredibly tough and largely eliminate the need for 'protection' filters.

However, the 15-30 leaves you no choice as it has no filter threads anyway. My personal philosophy is: lens cap always on unless in use, and if the lens cap is off the hood is on. Whether you use filters on your other lenses or not I guess that's the only choice on the 15-30.
05-01-2016, 01:37 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
with the front element so bulging
I don't use filters for protection on any lens, hoods work just fine for me.

On the “Mistress" (SMC Pentax-A 15mm F3.5)... well she's a bit more vulnerable, so I'm just more careful in handling her.
05-01-2016, 02:42 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm always using B+W glass protectors on my lenses, but 15-30 is the first I got with the front element so bulging a filter seems irrelevant. The hood certainly protects a lot, but how do you feel walking around me with this thing?

A+
I just think you need to get braver...

(sorry just a little joke on you Pentax Forum user name).

I have gotten away from using UV filters as protection. Most of the time a hood will protect any time a UV filter would have and doesn't have the downside of increasing flare (which a lot of UV filters do).

05-01-2016, 02:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never in 35+ years used either UV or "protection" filters. If God would have wanted the front element to be protected, He would have created an eyelid over the lens!