Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2016, 11:27 PM   #1

Looking to upgrade. Lens for INDOOR ICE HOCKEY!

Hello all, this is my first post here. Yay! I currently shoot on a K-3 and have several lenses, including the Tamron 70-200mm 1:2.8 which is my go to "sports lens". I shoot a lot of skiing and mountain biking with this lens and get great pics but never get the photos that I am lusting after while shooting indoor hockey. My camera/lens/me have the hardest time focusing at such high speeds. I am going to purchase the new K-1 (been saving all year but REALLY wishing it had more focus points!!!) and so whatever lens I decide on, of course, needs to be full frame compatible. I am really only considering 2 lenses... unless someone has another stellar idea. The new Pentax HD D FA 70-200 or the 150-450? The dilemma is that both are so new that there are literally zilch reviews on the 70-200 and only a few on the beast. I am hoping for a little insight. It sounds like the new 70-200 is going to blow my Tamron out of the water BUT since I do have this size...do I go for the bigger lens? hmmm

05-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're mainly interested in AF speed, the 70-200mm will be the way to go. The wide aperture will allow for faster focusing than the 150-450mm.

We're planning on testing both the 70-200mm and the 150-450mm with the K-1 this month, so stay tuned! We already have an APS-C in-depth review of the 150-450mm on the homepage.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-01-2016, 11:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you're mainly interested in AF speed, the 70-200mm will be the way to go. The wide aperture will allow for faster focusing than the 150-450mm.

We're planning on testing both the 70-200mm and the 150-450mm with the K-1 this month, so stay tuned! We already have an APS-C in-depth review of the 150-450mm on the homepage.
Adam, I can't wait to see the reviews. Literally, giddy! Speed is definitely what I am after Thank you. Too bad I can't get a special BOGO for both. The 450mm would be insane for wildlife!
05-02-2016, 02:28 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what it is worth, I shoot often indoor volley ball. It is a relatively fast sport in not-too-well lighted indoor settings. After trying (unsuccessfully) zoom lenses, I used relatively fast prime lenses (f2.8 & f2). Nowadays, I only use MF fast lenses: manual focus and f1.4. With MF, I always pre-focus the lens and I shoot Hi continuous shooting (burst of 4-6 shots each time). The large aperture allows me to shoot at high shutter speed with moderately high ISO (eg ISO 800).

Simply from my experience, I found that the Pentax K-3 AF is too slow for volleyball and MF gives a better percentage of keeper.

If you shoot ice hockey in a well-lighted place, you might be able to to cope with f2.8. But remember that a large aperture allows a faster shutter speed, which is important IMHO for fast sports.

My 5 cents...

05-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When my son was playing high school hockey (2012 and years prior), I relied almost exclusively on the DA*50-135 on my K-5. Here are some examples from 2012, by which time I'd gotten fairly handy with the combo in dimly lit rinks https://darylkottwitzphoto.smugmug.com/Sports/Prep-vs-Westside-12512/. I found the best location to shoot was from the end of the rink with the lens hood pressed against the "glass" to minimize reflections. If you have similar access, the 70-200 f2.8 is probably the best choice. If you'll be shooting farther away from up in the stands the 150-450 may be a better choice, but with the compromise of higher ISO and resulting increase of noise. The DA 300 f4 (demonstrated to work well on FF) might be another option for shooting from the stands, but obviously at the disadvantage of a fixed focal length.

Hope this helps.

Daryl

PS: Also, don't forget to enjoy the games!