Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 28-105 Image Distortion

Greetings. I recently purchased a Sigma 28-105 3.8-5.8 UC-III. I have very bad image distortion at the long end. Straight edges come out jaggy. Anyone have any ideas why this is? I’ve never experienced this in a lens.

Attached Images

05-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Looks like an effect from heat to me. What was the temperature at the time you took this?
05-02-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree. Looks like atmospheric distortion (heat waves).
05-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
Looks like an effect from heat to me. What was the temperature at the time you took this?
Never thought of that. The temp was only around 78 deg., however. I’ve taken many images with other lenses in 100+ deg. here in the desert and have never had this issue. I’ll keep playing with the lens. The aperature value didn’t seem to help either. Thanks for your reply.

05-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by iClick Quote
Never thought of that. The temp was only around 78 deg., however. I’ve taken many images with other lenses in 100+ deg. here in the desert and have never had this issue. I’ll keep playing with the lens. The aperature value didn’t seem to help either. Thanks for your reply.
Probably a lot asphalt between you and the store, radiating heat.
05-03-2016, 12:47 AM   #6

The greater the distance, the greater the thermal "heatwave" effect will be. And you note the effect is greatest at the long end of the lens, which is when the distances tend to be the greatest as well.
05-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gavinhw Quote
Probably a lot asphalt between you and the store, radiating heat.
Actually everyone’s suggestion that it is a result of heatwave makes a lot of sense now. I was waiting in a drive thru at a bank and I snapped a few quick shots straight through the windshield. I bet the “heatwave” was coming from the hood of the car. I’ll have to go back out there and try again...this time not shooting over the car. If this turns out to be the case, I will be very pleased that it’s not a defective lens.

Last edited by iClick; 05-03-2016 at 09:21 AM.
05-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iClick Quote
Actually everyone’s suggestion that it is a result of heatwave makes a lot of sense now. I was waiting in a drive thru at a bank and I snapped a few quick shots straight through the windshield. I bet the “heatwave” was coming from the hood of the car. I’ll have to go back out there and try again...this time not shooting over the car. If this turns out to be the case, I will be very pleased that it’s not a defective lens.
Tested the lens again. This time not over the car hood. That appears to have been the problem. The lens is actually pretty decent for the price I paid. Thanks everyone for your input.