Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2018, 06:27 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

If you read the user reviews on the camera store sites, it looks like Samyang has a ways to go with the AF.

Last edited by GeneV; 05-05-2018 at 06:33 AM.
05-05-2018, 07:06 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
No Nikon yet, no micro 4/3 either, so we will probably wait a while for K mount versions I am afraid.
There's no sign of any Samyang AF lens for Pentax K. They only do it for the mass market.
Articles tagged "samyang": Digital Photography Review
05-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Building a PKA lens (eventually with "data" pin) is a no-brainer. Some of the low-production Japanese optics, mainly made for Leica M mount, were produced by a small workshop. The same lenses could have been made in PKA mount, but it seems there is no market for them.
It's strange that some very good Chinese optics are made in plain vanilla PK mount, probably sales are low and they have no motivation to provide electric contacts only for Pentax (for example Canon mount is also plain, I guess because it's much trickier than PKA).
The PKAF mount is another story.
The subtleties of the protocol are undisclosed. Sigma does reverse engineering, quite successfully, but not-so-old lenses often need an update to successfully work with new bodies.
Other third party lens makers licensed the protocol from Pentax, but I believe that present time agreements actually prevent them from introducing new objectives without Pentax' consent.
Tamron sells some of its objectives to Pentax (since quite long), very likely they agreed to avoid open competition.
Tokina is under the Hoya umbrella, I guess Ricoh inherited some agreement. Tokina has all the knowledge, and desperately needs some more market share, no matter how small. It's rather odd that they are not taking the opportunity to fill some holes in Pentax line-up, isn't it?
When the K-1 was introduced I wrote that the only source of new third party AF lenses could have been Korean or Chinese. I still have the same opinion. It could materialize with time, especially if the successor to the K-1 II comes reasonably soon, expanding the market share.
I don't see it happening sooner, but there is hope... especially if the new AF lens/es will be released in Nikon and m4/3 mounts in the coming months.
I believe it would be a good thing. Though I'm not sure Ricoh shares the same view, I guess they prefer to sell their own lenses instead of trying to widen the user base.

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 05-09-2018 at 07:44 PM.
10-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Did Samyang ever come out with AF lenses for Pentax? Love my 85mm f/1.4 but it's impossible to focus

Charles.

10-09-2018, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LMGTFY
10-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Did Samyang ever come out with AF lenses for Pentax? Love my 85mm f/1.4 but it's impossible to focus

Charles.
They make Live View for that.
10-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Live View? HAH! It doesn't work in low light for SHIT. Out of almost 30 photos I took the with the 85mm, hand-held, at dusk the other day, 3 came out focused and only one was framed properly and usable. With AF it would focus correctly every time, I could brace the camera against my face for more stability, and the framing wouldn't wander because I'm holding the camera awkwardly to see the live view while also trying to focus the thing zoomed in with peaking... manual focus is a miserable experience even in good light, but in low light it's the worst possible thing.

Charles.

10-09-2018, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #38

Live View? HAH! It doesn't work in low light for SHIT. Out of almost 30 photos I took the with the 85mm, hand-held, at dusk the other day, 3 came out focused and only one was framed properly and usable. With AF it would focus correctly every time, I could brace the camera against my face for more stability, and the framing wouldn't wander because I'm holding the camera awkwardly to see the live view while also trying to focus the thing zoomed in with peaking... manual focus is a miserable experience even in good light, but in low light it's the worst possible thing.

Charles.

Sorry to disagree but manual focus is just a different art. Yes, it's true it slows things down a little and is therefore not as good as AF for certain forms of photography. But in others, it gives you another dimension to control You can put the focus point where you want it and so it can give you more control over the final image. And with some lens, autofocus would be a hindrance rather than a help. The Zeiss 85 is one.

But if you want an AF 85mm, there is always the Pentax FA version.
10-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #39
Veteran Member

If it works for you that's fine. But I cannot manual focus on anything except an old Pentax ME Super. With my K30 it is simply not possible for me to manual focus. AF gets results every time. I almost wish I hadn't purchased the Samyang/Bower 85mm. I had hoped it'd be a great lens for shooting music shows with, but it's just impossible to focus in low light. It rarely sees use... I had hoped it would redeem itself. I had forgotton how bad it was to focus with, and after that brief shooting session I remember now why it lives at the back of the shelf.

Charles.
10-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #40

If it works for you that's fine. But I cannot manual focus on anything except an old Pentax ME Super. With my K30 it is simply not possible for me to manual focus. AF gets results every time. I almost wish I hadn't purchased the Samyang/Bower 85mm. I had hoped it'd be a great lens for shooting music shows with, but it's just impossible to focus in low light. It rarely sees use... I had hoped it would redeem itself. I had forgotton how bad it was to focus with, and after that brief shooting session I remember now why it lives at the back of the shelf.

Charles.

I must admit, I found manual focus on the APS cameras much harder than the film bodies. Well that was until I got a Katzeye screen for the K5/K3. That made a huge difference. The K1 doesn't really need it and I find I can manually focus using the standard AF screen.

Kim
10-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sell your Samyang and apply the funds towards a used Sigma 85/1.4 and a bottle of lube...

Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Just remember that "Very Good" in Japan means it may or may not have been found buried in a barnyard. (This one has major fungus)

Very Good SIGMA EX 85mm F/1.4 DG HSM For PENTAX rare | eBay

This one looks much nicer, and it is in the US...

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM for PENTAX - EXCELLENT CONDITION SUPER CLEAN NO DUST | eBay
10-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #42
Veteran Member

So, I guess the unsaid answer is "No, Samyang hasn't made autofocus lenses for Pentax, and likely never will."

Charles.
10-09-2018, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Charles.
Forget focus peaking in low contrast conditions, Charles.

What you'd do is get a Hoodman loupe to turn the back screen into an EVF. Use Magnified live view, it's fine then.
10-09-2018, 10:21 PM   #44
Pentaxian

With lenses f/2 and slower, I found a chinese focusing screen works well enough on my K10D.
It has both stigmometer and microprisms.
Don't expect modern digital cameras to focus with the same ease as with film cameras.
Especially crop format ones.
Regarding the K-1, at first I've read that the screen is not interchangeable, because there is an overlay on it.
Then I found that manual focus screens for the K-1 are actually made/sold.
I'd be interested in first hand experiences.

cheers

Paolo
01-06-2023, 12:43 PM   #45

Five years late, doesn't look like this is ever going to happen for Pentax.