Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 05:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Samyang goes autofocus!

Samyang official press release: - Releases 14mm f/2,8 and 50mm f/1,4 AF lenses for Sony E mount.

Thats their first step into autofocus! Now let the speculation begin about K mount AF, more AF lenses and so on. (My hopes: their 85mm f/1,4 and 135mm f/2)

Last edited by Simen1; 05-03-2016 at 05:22 AM.
05-03-2016, 05:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think we'll all be watching this one with interest, especially since they already make a fairly broad range of lenses for K mount.

I suspect their first K-mount AF lens will be screwdrive, if only because it's mature* technology and the implementation is well understood across a range of third-party manufacturers.

* = getting on to geriatric, true, but even an old lion can still bite.
05-03-2016, 05:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow, that's a big step!
Are the E mount lenses identical to the K mount ones, or are there optical differences? I thought Samyang had two lineups, one for m43 and smaller, and one for APSC and FF (and then further divided to still photo and cine lenses). If these E mount are similar to other DSLR mount lenses, then we might see AF for Samyang K lenses in the future. With the 14mm this might not be a big deal, but with 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm and 135mm this would be huge!
05-03-2016, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

If they go AF then predict a discontinuation of K mount support

05-03-2016, 06:08 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Wow, that's a big step!
Are the E mount lenses identical to the K mount ones, or are there optical differences? I thought Samyang had two lineups, one for m43 and smaller, and one for APSC and FF (and then further divided to still photo and cine lenses). If these E mount are similar to other DSLR mount lenses, then we might see AF for Samyang K lenses in the future. With the 14mm this might not be a big deal, but with 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm and 135mm this would be huge!
They must be identical since the k mount works fine on e mount with an adapter. In fact the emount lens (the manual focus) just has a built in adapter. The lens (minus the adapter for registration distance) is the same for all the mounts.
05-03-2016, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great step for Samyang (Bower, Vivitar, etc). I'd like to see them try their technology on an edif manual focus long telephoto, 400mm, 500mm or 600mm f5.6 for example, and get away from the mirror lenses.
05-03-2016, 06:25 AM   #7

Just wow ! That's a huge news ! I have the 16mm f/2, the 35mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4 and it would be amazing to see these lenses with AF.
I am wondering however what the impact of AF would be on the cost of lenses...

05-03-2016, 06:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It would be good to have a telephoto alternative in addition to Sigma
05-03-2016, 06:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I used to be huge Samyang fan because of the image quality, however their built quality is absolutely awful. The internals are entirely made of plastic and I recently had a lens (24mm F1.4) crap out in the middle of a trip. You could literally hear a wobble on the inside and the pictures reflected a major element decentering going on. FYI I generally baby my gear... Many other reports like this one online...
05-03-2016, 06:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
If they go AF then predict a discontinuation of K mount support.
May sound pessimistic, but I'd assume the same. If they're smart they will watch the market and assess the impact of the K-1 first, but in a generally declining market manufacturers may have to focus on what makes them the most money, so they might go down the same road as Sigma and Tamron in terms of K-mount support.
05-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm guessing this is a focus-by-wire implementation, like most (all?) E-mount lenses. Whereas probably (and hopefully) a K-mount implementation would be mechanically coupled. I'd go for that, even if it didn't have a quick-shift clutch mechanism.
05-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #12
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Samyang official press release: - Releases 14mm f/2,8 and 50mm f/1,4 AF lenses for Sony E mount.

Thats their first step into autofocus! Now let the speculation begin about K mount AF, more AF lenses and so on. (My hopes: their 85mm f/1,4 and 135mm f/2)
E-mount is opened bayonet from April, 2011.
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201102/11-018E/index.html

K-mount is not.
05-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I would appreciate knowing if the K mount design hinders Sigma and other companies from offering their lenses for Pentax DSLR's. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
05-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I would appreciate knowing if the K mount design hinders Sigma and other companies from offering their lenses for Pentax DSLR's. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
They (Sigma specifically) never had any problem in the film era, nor in the digital era right up to the 18-35mm/1.8 Art - at least for those who got a copy that would focus properly.
05-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Sigma's own mount is actually very similar to the Pentax K-mount. The Pentax K is pretty good, open, not that difficult to get the basic standard, and then it also allows a lot of added things. For example, Samyang lenses on Pentax have A on aperture ring, so the camera knows and can select aperture automatically. This was not possible with some other brands, which required a special chip and other communications.
The only problem is that it doesn't make sense to make another product line, to tie up a lot of lenses with a mount that doesn't get sold. Its just volume. So many people have Canon, Nikon, that even cheap and high end Sigma and Tamron lenses sell well. But Pentax is a much lower volume market, so not as many of their lenses sell. Eventually, it makes more business sense to only release a few lenses in K, only the ones that are most likely to sell.
The only way to get more Sigma support, to get Tamron and Zeiss and Tokina support again, is by selling a lot of cameras. Pentax K-1 might help with that!