Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2016, 06:19 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, they work on FF.

But they don't have aperture rings.

I use them and other DA lenses on my A7 with a Novoflex PK adapter that has its own (of sorts) aperture ring.

Not very good, but better than nothing.
On my m43 Panasonic the full frame question isn't something I can answer - but the aperture question is.

I use a Fotasy brand adapter that allows me to steplessly adjust aperture. Then by spending a little time I can meter wide open on a bright scene like my computer on a white background. I then watch my shutter speed while adjusting aperture using that to tell me how many stops I have closed it. I then make a note of what the aperture looks like at a couple of f stops like f4 and f8. I then just adjust it to what I think I want and figure out what that looks like from the front of the lens. I open and close to that point as needed. It is slower and clumsier than normal but less complex than it sounds.

05-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
On my m43 Panasonic the full frame question isn't something I can answer - but the aperture question is.

I use a Fotasy brand adapter that allows me to steplessly adjust aperture. Then by spending a little time I can meter wide open on a bright scene like my computer on a white background. I then watch my shutter speed while adjusting aperture using that to tell me how many stops I have closed it. I then make a note of what the aperture looks like at a couple of f stops like f4 and f8. I then just adjust it to what I think I want and figure out what that looks like from the front of the lens. I open and close to that point as needed. It is slower and clumsier than normal but less complex than it sounds.

I track the the manual exposure dial, UV.

Not complex, but horrific to workflow.

Like your procedure, the world has to stop while I expose on a reference background wide open, adjusting shutter speed to at least get the needle to appear, then bring it back three stops worth or whatever, then turn back and manually focus on the subject.

Tedious enough that since I enjoyed shooting the DA35 f2.4 on the A7, I went and bought its FA35 dad for that aperture ring.
05-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I track the the manual exposure dial, UV.

Not complex, but horrific to workflow.

Like your procedure, the world has to stop while I expose on a reference background wide open, adjusting shutter speed to at least get the needle to appear, then bring it back three stops worth or whatever, then turn back and manually focus on the subject.

Tedious enough that since I enjoyed shooting the DA35 f2.4 on the A7, I went and bought its FA35 dad for that aperture ring.
I understand that. I typically want a specific f/stop range and once adjusted I can leave it there for a while. This means the workflow is up front and then I'm done for a bit. But it does make things less versatile. I too have the FA 35 - and it is no slouch. I have shot it side by side with my FA 31 and while the 31 edges it out most of the time - the FA 31 is surprisingly competitive.
05-04-2016, 09:19 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I understand that. I typically want a specific f/stop range and once adjusted I can leave it there for a while.

Yep, not me, nor others who shoot in Av mode and ride the dial to suit what they're shooting right now.

I think people need to know this awkwardness about adapters with aperture rings. They tend to be clickless, so you can't even count while listening, and they tend to be too costly to simply buy one for each lens you have and try to put some markings on what is a very small throw anyway.

05-05-2016, 06:47 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, not me, nor others who shoot in Av mode and ride the dial to suit what they're shooting right now.

I think people need to know this awkwardness about adapters with aperture rings. They tend to be clickless, so you can't even count while listening, and they tend to be too costly to simply buy one for each lens you have and try to put some markings on what is a very small throw anyway.
I'm likely to use Av myself when I'm able. This workflow is a compromise. As for cost, the Fotasy is about $12, so marking one might be reasonable thanks for the idea.
05-05-2016, 06:51 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm likely to use Av myself when I'm able. This workflow is a compromise. As for cost, the Fotasy is about $12, so marking one might be reasonable thanks for the idea.
My Novoflex was at least ten times that ... but there are no light leaks, and its manufacturing tolerances make it perfectly aligned.

05-05-2016, 07:05 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Novoflex was at least ten times that ... but there are no light leaks, and its manufacturing tolerances make it perfectly aligned.
And I find zero issues with mine, I was frankly shocked by the quality, I was expecting junk. It is very well made and the feel is similar to mounting a Pentax brand teleconverter.

05-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

And I find zero issues with mine, I was frankly shocked by the quality, I was expecting junk. It is very well made and the feel is similar to mounting a Pentax brand teleconverter.
You've done well ... there are lots of horror stories of adapters, including owners having to put hairbands or similar around their base to seal a light gap.

Roger Cicala also mentioned how the lens being attached can be ever so slightly off flush, with a subtle degradation of IQ.