Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2016, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Source?

I actually sold my A* 85 and bought the FA* 77 - they both are very nice lenses.

It is quite obvious just from comparing the lens diagrams. There are tiny changes, mostly on the 3rd element, but hadn't the limited cut-through been part of the 2nd diagram, it would have been hard to tell them appart.

There are more such little "secrets" if you start compare diagrams. Like the M85/2, which is the Super Tak 85/1.9 born again. Especially in the 135mm line. All the way from 135/3.5 Taks over Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5 and 2.8, to the A135/2.8 they tweak one and the same formula. Typically a hint is that you can't find a new patent.

05-05-2016, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote

It is quite obvious just from comparing the lens diagrams. There are tiny changes, mostly on the 3rd element, but hadn't the limited cut-through been part of the 2nd diagram, it would have been hard to tell them appart.

There are more such little "secrets" if you start compare diagrams. Like the M85/2, which is the Super Tak 85/1.9 born again. Especially in the 135mm line. All the way from 135/3.5 Taks over Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5 and 2.8, to the A135/2.8 they tweak one and the same formula. Typically a hint is that you can't find a new patent.
Thanks. That makes me feel even better about my choice, my eyesight doesn't let me do as good of a job as autofocus so I let my dear old friend the A* 85 go.
05-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thanks. That makes me feel even better about my choice, my eyesight doesn't let me do as good of a job as autofocus so I let my dear old friend the A* 85 go.
My brother have the A* and I have the 77 limited so I've had good chances to compare them side by side, and they really behave very similarly. And at f1.4 manual focus is really a lot about luck if your portrait subject isn't a statue....or perhaps if you shoot bondage scenes...

But the A* sure is nice to hold!
05-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
My brother have the A* and I have the 77 limited so I've had good chances to compare them side by side, and they really behave very similarly. And at f1.4 manual focus is really a lot about luck if your portrait subject isn't a statue....or perhaps if you shoot bondage scenes...

But the A* sure is nice to hold!
By far the best focusing action I have ever held. The lens was a work of art. It broke my heart to sell it in some ways - but sending it where it would be used by younger eyes was worth it.

---------- Post added 05-05-16 at 11:37 PM ----------

In truth I was able to buy an FA 31 and an FA 77 and still have money left over due to the insane deals passed on to me so I can't complain.

05-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #20

Alright guys, I'm kind of in the same situation so I decided to bump this thread rather than start a new one.

I've had the K-1 for a couple weeks now and it has been awesome (see my pics in the K-1 Pictures thread) but I'm now looking to pick up my first high-end piece of glass for Pentax.

I want to start off with a good portrait-type lens because I intend on giving 'baby' or children's photography a go! (all my friends are poppin' em out of late!)

I initially begun looking at 85mm lenses (specifically the sigma 1.4) as well as the old used Pentax FA* 85mm 1.4. Others convinced me to look at something closer to 50mm first, for added versatility indoors.

For the past few days I've been looking at the Pentax smc DA Star 55mm F1.4 SDM, the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and the Pentax 43mm 1.9

However, i recently saw that the Pentax 55 may introduce some vignetting as it's not meant for full-frame use, and I'm not sure about the Sigma.

Is the 43mm ltd the only good choice in this focal range? I don't want to look at a zoom yet, even though a part of me wants the new HD D FA 24-70mm f/2.8ED SDM WR, i really want something faster first.

What do you all think?
05-09-2016, 10:07 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

77mm f1.8 is a better compromise than a 50mm for full frame. In my film days I used the A* 85 f1.4 and I had several 50mm lenses but they were to short for general portrait use for me. If you are willing to be closer to the subject I think they can absolutely work, much like I enjoy shooting my DA 40 on APSC. (Roughly 60mm ff) but the 77 is a bit closer to ideal. The DA 70 has been shown to have very slight vignetting and makes a great Portrait lens as well but the speed is lower and the options for shallow depth of field are lessened. That said I'd still look at an FA 77 first, and it is cheaper than the FA* 85.
05-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
As I get closer to purchasing the K-1 and a portrait lens (going to the bank after I post this to put some cash into the account I will use at B&H), I am becoming afraid I may be making the wrong purchase with the 77mm. As much respect I have for the lens, I fear I may be buying the best lens I won't use. When I started portraits using my Super Program, I bought the 135 2.8 to get the look I was after. I own the 50 1.4, but rarely used it then, and I rarely use it now when I take portraits. It is my walk around lens, nothing more. I use my 18 - 55 for the wide angle, and the 40 - 80 when I go into the studio way more. My fear is, I will buy one of the best lenses in the world, and use it for 5% of my portrait images like I do with the 50mm. It is my opinion that some of the opinions I have been reading here have been from experience gained from using the 77 with a crop sensor. If I was using a crop sensor still, the 77 might be long enough for me, but I fear the 77 will be like my 50 is right now. I need sharp, and auto focus, I just fear the 77 will really be too short. I am buying this camera in another day or two. Argh!!!

05-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KTschappat Quote
I need sharp, and auto focus, I just fear the 77 will really be too short. I am buying this camera in another day or two. Argh!!!
Can you rent one?

I would think that if the 135 is what gave you the look you wanted on the Super Program, that's where you need to be. If you can afford it, the 70-200 sounds like a winner. If not, I'd suggest trying to see what you could find in a used 135 before buying a new 77.

I'd even suggest the old stuff. I have a M135 f3.5 that's great, though manual everything... But it was cheap enough to keep even if I got something with AF...

-Eric
05-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I would tend to use either my “Sweetheart” (SMC Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4), or my "Lady Luck” (SMC Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8) both have served me well with portraits in the past.
05-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eliphas Quote
Alright guys, I'm kind of in the same situation so I decided to bump this thread rather than start a new one.

I've had the K-1 for a couple weeks now and it has been awesome (see my pics in the K-1 Pictures thread) but I'm now looking to pick up my first high-end piece of glass for Pentax.

I want to start off with a good portrait-type lens because I intend on giving 'baby' or children's photography a go! (all my friends are poppin' em out of late!)

I initially begun looking at 85mm lenses (specifically the sigma 1.4) as well as the old used Pentax FA* 85mm 1.4. Others convinced me to look at something closer to 50mm first, for added versatility indoors.

For the past few days I've been looking at the Pentax smc DA Star 55mm F1.4 SDM, the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and the Pentax 43mm 1.9

However, i recently saw that the Pentax 55 may introduce some vignetting as it's not meant for full-frame use, and I'm not sure about the Sigma.

Is the 43mm ltd the only good choice in this focal range? I don't want to look at a zoom yet, even though a part of me wants the new HD D FA 24-70mm f/2.8ED SDM WR, i really want something faster first.

What do you all think?
DA*55 focus slower than the FA43ltd....and kids move fast. There is also the FA50/1.4 (if not in production it can still be bought new from stock) and the DA50/1.8 which cover FF. Both fast to focus.
05-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eliphas Quote

What do you all think?
I was in the same, in the K3 the 31mm was my "to go" lens, with the k1 i knew tje FOV is going to be diferent, so i wwas looking for something similar in the FOV area, i look at the 55mm but same as you , is not completly FF lens, or the DA50mm... I look at the raodmap for lens, and theres one normal FOV prime in there... They will have DC and WR and probably design accordingly for the K1... And because of that i buy the 43mm, FF ready, Hood included, noiser and non WR but she gonna see pretty beetween my 31 and 77 limiteds

05-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KTschappat Quote
As I get closer to purchasing the K-1 and a portrait lens (going to the bank after I post this to put some cash into the account I will use at B&H), I am becoming afraid I may be making the wrong purchase with the 77mm. As much respect I have for the lens, I fear I may be buying the best lens I won't use. When I started portraits using my Super Program, I bought the 135 2.8 to get the look I was after. I own the 50 1.4, but rarely used it then, and I rarely use it now when I take portraits. It is my walk around lens, nothing more. I use my 18 - 55 for the wide angle, and the 40 - 80 when I go into the studio way more. My fear is, I will buy one of the best lenses in the world, and use it for 5% of my portrait images like I do with the 50mm. It is my opinion that some of the opinions I have been reading here have been from experience gained from using the 77 with a crop sensor. If I was using a crop sensor still, the 77 might be long enough for me, but I fear the 77 will be like my 50 is right now. I need sharp, and auto focus, I just fear the 77 will really be too short. I am buying this camera in another day or two. Argh!!!
DO NOT buy what you don't know if you need.

If 135 was your go to focal length then you should not jump on an FA* 85 or FA 77 until you use them. The hedge bet would be the DFA 70-200 - it ticks all the boxes and has a flexible range. Other options, the older FA* 80-200, the FA* 200 or DA* 200 (but those could be a bit long), the FA 135, the DFA 100.

Personally I would rent a 70-200 even if you don't plan to buy it - to get a feel for the focal length. In 135mm, the problem is mainly that this focal length is underrepresented by Pentax in fast aperture FF lenses available to buy other than the DFA 70-200.
05-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Lots of great posts already, and I don't really do portraiture, but a portrait lens that impressed me the most, from looking at reviews and sample photos, is Samyang 135mm. Sure, no AF, and it is Samyang, but it has A mode, and the image rendering is pretty stunning

Edit: Ah, I see you want AF. Sorry. Though, you could install a viewfinder loupe or focusing screen. These are good aids in general, especially if you use fast primes. Something to think about.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-09-2016 at 03:38 PM.
05-09-2016, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #29
farmerDavid

I have similar interrogations.
Could someone who owns both the K-1 and the DFA 100 WR kindly post some portraits samples and comment on how satisfied or not they are with it. The review database has only evaluations done on aps-c.
Thanks,
David
05-09-2016, 06:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I'm really liking the K 135 2.5 for portraits on the K-1.