Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2016, 06:36 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If your looking to start doing some pro'ish baby shots, you'll be doing kids, kids and family and then family and pets before you know it..... a good 70-200/2.8 will be with you all the way..... gives a bit more distance when you're dealing with easily spooked kids/babies/pets etc as well.

Last edited by noelpolar; 05-09-2016 at 06:42 PM.
05-09-2016, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Another to add to the list for consideration is the Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro, which has been called the 'portrait macro' by many. FF, AF, and still available new in K-mount. Or indeed the Pentax 100 f2.8 macro WR.
05-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by farmerDavid Quote
I have similar interrogations.
Could someone who owns both the K-1 and the DFA 100 WR kindly post some portraits samples and comment on how satisfied or not they are with it. The review database has only evaluations done on aps-c.
Thanks,
David
I used the predecessor on film occasionally for portraits. The F 100 Macro I had then was in theory the same optical formula with different externals and coatings. In my opinion it worked fine. But my other lens for portrait work was my A* 85 which unlike the FA* 85 is not at all soft even wide open and at portrait distances. Both lenses could be clinical in the wrong hands. My standards were different then and I also shot film which is (I think) more forgiving than the 36mp sensor in the K-1.

So all I can say is that the length and the basic optical formula seemed good but I can't say for sure if the results will look "right" until someone posts some examples.
05-09-2016, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
I'm really liking the K 135 2.5 for portraits on the K-1.
I'm not surprised. Way back in Ye Olde Film Days of Yore, I really liked the K 135/2.5 on an LX.

05-09-2016, 11:46 PM   #35
Pentaxian

The Sigma 105/2.8 macro (is AF) if you can stand the Sigma colors. I do.
And the DFA100 macro is one option.

Seb
05-10-2016, 08:14 AM   #36
farmerDavid

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I used the predecessor on film occasionally for portraits. The F 100 Macro I had then was in theory the same optical formula with different externals and coatings. In my opinion it worked fine. But my other lens for portrait work was my A* 85 which unlike the FA* 85 is not at all soft even wide open and at portrait distances. Both lenses could be clinical in the wrong hands. My standards were different then and I also shot film which is (I think) more forgiving than the 36mp sensor in the K-1.

So all I can say is that the length and the basic optical formula seemed good but I can't say for sure if the results will look "right" until someone posts some examples.
Your insights are appreciated. Thank you. Usually, in my small esperience, what used to be good is still good. I think I'll get one with the K-1. I would still like to see portrait samples if someone has any to share.
David
05-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by farmerDavid Quote
Your insights are appreciated. Thank you. Usually, in my small esperience, what used to be good is still good. I think I'll get one with the K-1. I would still like to see portrait samples if someone has any to share.
David
To be clearer - when I say film is more forgiving. I mean that film has a smoother transition of colors and textures because it is analog. That property may make a more clinical rendering lens less sterile. I can't show examples as I have no scanned images to compare. This is particularly true of print films where the negative is only part of the story - the printing can mask a lot as well.

My guess is that all of this can be simulated by post processing and an overly sterile and clinical rendering can be smoothed and corrected - so all is not lost even if that is the case. On APSC I have shot some A* 85 shots in the past and FA 77 shots and DFA 100 shots and none of them appeared too clinical but they were all pretty sharp. I just wanted to be honest and clear with you.

Good luck on the search!

05-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #38
farmerDavid

To be clearer - when I say film is more forgiving. I mean that film has a smoother transition of colors and textures because it is analog. That property may make a more clinical rendering lens less sterile. I can't show examples as I have no scanned images to compare. This is particularly true of print films where the negative is only part of the story - the printing can mask a lot as well.

My guess is that all of this can be simulated by post processing and an overly sterile and clinical rendering can be smoothed and corrected - so all is not lost even if that is the case. On APSC I have shot some A* 85 shots in the past and FA 77 shots and DFA 100 shots and none of them appeared too clinical but they were all pretty sharp. I just wanted to be honest and clear with you.

Good luck on the search!
Well I think you just convinced me its the right lens for me! A sharp lens which is portrait capable. If I become better at the portrait thing I'll invest in a DFA* they'll have brought to market by then In the meantime I need to practice.
David
05-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I think if you are going to shoot kids the speed of the autofocus should be near the top of the list.,
good luck

randy
05-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I think if you are going to shoot kids the speed of the autofocus should be near the top of the list.,
good luck

randy
Quick shift will help but the lack of a focus limiter is an issue if you miss focus with the DFA 100.
05-11-2016, 06:10 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Source?

I actually sold my A* 85 and bought the FA* 77 - they both are very nice lenses.
the source : Two Brothers and a Cousin - the A* 85/1.4, FA 77, and FA* 85/1.4: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
05-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks! I will read that with pleasure. I really loved my A* 85 and I really love the FA 77. I hated giving up the A* but the manual focus woes were just too much for me at this point. In addition to aging I have had minor retinal damage and I have floaters in the hundreds to thousands and I have double vision in one eye (not a typo - I have monocular double vision which is uncommon). So focusing by manual process without a split prism is a bear. The FA* 77 was a great boon to me.
05-13-2016, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

u r welcome ^^ I have a Fa77 too and its size, af make the lens a joy to use, it is the best Pentax lens for a reason ^^
05-13-2016, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

Are you ok with manual focus?
If so the Samyang 135f2 is superb for portraits. I used it on my D810. The backgrounds melt away like butter but what is in focus is razor sharp.
05-14-2016, 06:56 AM   #45

Hey everyone, thanks for all your input and for the wealth of information you've contributed that, no doubt, has helped others as well!

After much reading and research online, and also after thoroughly checking prices and specials, I actually picked up something i never thought would be the first purchase for the K1! I ended up getting the Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR at 369.99$ from B&H earlier this week. I DO do (hehe doodoo) a lot of macro and nature photography, so it was only a matter of time before I got that lens anyway, and at that price it was hard to pass on.

I also picked up an m42 adapter (the good Pentax one) and am currently researching those options (Zeiss, Meyer, Helios, etc.) but will still soon be looking for something with autofocus. So, the search continues, but i think i'll be looking at the Pentax 43mm and 77mm when the time comes, perhaps even the new FA 24-70 if it proves good for portraiture.

---------- Post added 05-14-16 at 06:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Are you ok with manual focus?
If so the Samyang 135f2 is superb for portraits. I used it on my D810. The backgrounds melt away like butter but what is in focus is razor sharp.
I think I'm going to go the Samyang route for my wide-angle landscape applications. The 14mm f2.8 seems like a good bet especially now that companies are releasing external filter systems for it.