Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #1

Focusing issue (weird)

Hi all,
i'm new in the forum and i hope this is the correct section to post this question.

I have a K5 with a Sigma 17-50 2.8, i experienced a weird focusing issue:

If I set the lens at 2.8, no problem at all. I half press the shutter button and the camera autofocus works properly, after that I shoot the picture. Perfect focus. OK

Now, I set the lens at e.g. F8 or F11, and make same procedure: half press -> auto focus -> shoot. Result: back focus!

Another test: Setting the lens 2.8, half press -> focusing OK -> while holding half press the shutter button, i close the lens at e.g. F11 and shoot. Focus perfect! OK

I same way, sounds like the camera tries to compensate some type of focus shift: she knows that the lens is closed at e.g. F11, so recalculates focusing in different manner ... i don't know.

There is some type of focusing shift compensation in firmware? There is a way to disable it? Debug mode or so...

Thank you in advance

05-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 has a problem autofocusing with tungsten lighting at low light levels. Could be what you are seeing.
05-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #3

Please give some further description regarding the lighting / environmental conditions. Also try to replicate the problem in bright sunny daylight and if you are indoors with dim incandescent lighting, perhaps try to replicate with using flash.

Is this happening with the camera set to a single point AF sensor (e.g. center), or do you have it on matrix? Also what were you using as a subject, and what was the subject to camera distance?
05-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveK10 Quote
Hi all,
i'm new in the forum and i hope this is the correct section to post this question.

I have a K5 with a Sigma 17-50 2.8, i experienced a weird focusing issue:

If I set the lens at 2.8, no problem at all. I half press the shutter button and the camera autofocus works properly, after that I shoot the picture. Perfect focus. OK

Now, I set the lens at e.g. F8 or F11, and make same procedure: half press -> auto focus -> shoot. Result: back focus!

Another test: Setting the lens 2.8, half press -> focusing OK -> while holding half press the shutter button, i close the lens at e.g. F11 and shoot. Focus perfect! OK

I same way, sounds like the camera tries to compensate some type of focus shift: she knows that the lens is closed at e.g. F11, so recalculates focusing in different manner ... i don't know.

There is some type of focusing shift compensation in firmware? There is a way to disable it? Debug mode or so...

Thank you in advance

I had this exact issue with a Sigma 24-60/2.8 I bought last year, so I returned it.

Also note that some Sigma HSM lenses don't play nice with LiveView CDAF.

05-05-2016, 01:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply!

I have done many test in many lighting conditions,set to a single (central) point AF sensor.
Focusing in Live wiev works perfect.

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
I had this exact issue with a Sigma 24-60/2.8 I bought last year, so I returned it.

Also note that some Sigma HSM lenses don't play nice with LiveView CDAF.

Now you have another copy of the Sigma 24-60/2.8 that works well?
I mean: the issue is with the single copy or with ALL Sigma 24-60/2.8?
05-05-2016, 03:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Now you have another copy of the Sigma 24-60/2.8 that works well?
I mean: the issue is with the single copy or with ALL Sigma 24-60/2.8?
No, the first copy I got was the worst lens I have ever had the misfortune of attaching to my camera. So decentered it could hardly focus. The second was the one that had the issue. After that I got sick of playing roulette, plus I got a good dose of attitude from the tech I was dealing with, so I cut my losses. Others have been very happy with their copies of the lens though.
05-06-2016, 12:46 AM   #7

Original Poster
Made another test.
Checked K5 - K10 with Sigma 17-50 2.8 and Pentax 17-50 F4.

K10 and K5 with Sigma: same issue. It seems to be a lens (Sigma) problem.... BUT:
check K10 and K5 with Pentax 16-45: same issue. !!!!
Less annoying, maybe negligible, (or maybe not) but still present.

Soon i'll make more test with a friend.

If anybody wants to try, this is the procedure:

1) Focusing an object with central point, lens Wide Open (e.g. f2.8)
Shoot

2) Re-Focusing same object with central point, (best focusing first a far target, and re-focusing the subject, to be sure the AF works), with lens less Open (e.g. f8)
Shoot

3) Re-focusing again our object (best focusing first a far target, and re-focusing the subject, to be sure the AF works), with lens Wide Open (e.g. f2.8) BUT, without shooting, holding half press shoot button (so WITHOUT refocusing), closing the lens at f8
Shoot

In my experience the results are

1) less Depth of Field / Focus OK
2) more Depth of Field BUT Back Focus
3) more Depth of Field BUT Back Focus (like 2, obviously) but Focus OK

Anybody want's to try?

---------- Post added 05-06-16 at 12:50 AM ----------

1) less Depth of Field / Focus OK
2) more Depth of Field BUT Back Focus
3) more Depth of Field BUT Back Focus (like 2, obviously) but Focus OK

Anybody want's to try?