Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Help with F* 250-600 Trunk Case

My F* 250-600 doesn't have the aluminum trunk case, so I'm thinking of having a company build me a custom aluminum case to protect and transport this lens. If any of you have the dimensions of the case (inside and outside), as well as photos to share, I'd sure appreciate the help.

05-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I'd forget the aluminum. I have the A*600/5.6 with its case, but I don't use it -- not enough protection, not waterproof, plus it advertises what is inside. I'd find an appropriate Pelican case (they have some new ones that are lighter) and fill it with plenty of padding. Basically indestructible, and airtight/waterproof. (Use desiccants inside.)
05-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for pelican!
congrats on you new "baby"
05-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the FA version and I agree with the others; don't worry about an aluminum case. The only time mine sees that case is when it's sitting at home. I typically put it in a well-padded long lens backpack when I'm shooting with it so I can carry it on my back. If I ever decide to try to travel with it on an airplane I'll buy a Pelican case. They are better padded, lighter and waterproof.

05-04-2016, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
My F* 250-600 doesn't have the aluminum trunk case, so I'm thinking of having a company build me a custom aluminum case to protect and transport this lens. If any of you have the dimensions of the case (inside and outside), as well as photos to share, I'd sure appreciate the help.
I may be able to help with this in the coming days. Shoot me a reminder via PM and I won't forget!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-04-2016, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Send me the lens. I shall protect and transport it (and even take pictures with it). Best, I'll do it for free!

In all seriousness though, Pelican cases are built very well and should do a good job.
05-04-2016, 09:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I'd find an appropriate Pelican case...
All of you make a very good point. I certainly see the benefits of plastic...but...plastic is so ugly.

There's a reason why I use Limiteds and FA*s, as opposed to plastic lenses. I also don't own Glocks or Springfield XDs, etc. Just metal for me. So my opinion may not be worth as much without pictures:

05-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
If I ever decide to try to travel with it on an airplane I'll buy a Pelican case. They are better padded, lighter and waterproof.
For those unexpected water landings, right?

05-06-2016, 12:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Stock Case Not for Travel

Sold my big 250-600 zoom to another forum member a few years ago...case is not a travel/checked baggage type case but rather a storage and light duty case. Works great for shipping via UPS once loaded into two layers of cardboard boxes.

I'm also an FA* guy (and silver FA Limited--3 Amigos) and really enjoy the feel, fit and finish on these silver beauties, but you aren't going to be able to use the factory case as a work unit. Buddy I sold an F*600/4 to used his factory case for a few years...corner caps came off, holes punched through the "silver foil" outer skin, handle tore loose...again, the pretty factory case is a storage case, not a working unit!