Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Six more people needed for the Kickstarter campaign!

six more people need to commit to get the lens made. This is really close. It would be a shame to have Pentax users miss out on this.

05-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which lens and project might that be?

Steve
05-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think this one: Lomography Daguerreotype Achromat 64mm for Pentax - Photo Industry News | PentaxForums.com
05-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

45 Brass and 3 black pledged. I think that means only 2 more required.

05-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If I weren't already one of the 48...
05-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the brass and black versions are separate counts. The description for the black says that if they cant get 50 pledges for black then backers will have a choice to either downgrade to brass or get a refund.

I know many people are hesitant about these "artsy" lenses but I think it's great that Pentax is now big enough to be considered for them. In the past only Canon, Nikon, Sony, and u4/3 would be considered due to the size of the installed based or potential market impact. The K-mount was too small to be profitable in cases like this. Well, not anymore!
05-05-2016, 11:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I think the brass and black versions are separate counts. The description for the black says that if they cant get 50 pledges for black then backers will have a choice to either downgrade to brass or get a refund.

I know many people are hesitant about these "artsy" lenses but I think it's great that Pentax is now big enough to be considered for them. In the past only Canon, Nikon, Sony, and u4/3 would be considered due to the size of the installed based or potential market impact. The K-mount was too small to be profitable in cases like this. Well, not anymore!
Actually it is 25 in black. 50 in Brass. I can't imagine them not combining them to make the 50 if they had < 25 black and < 50 brass but combined they had => 50 brass. That would be silly. Of course if someone asking for black backed out rather than allowing it to be brass you are correct.

05-05-2016, 12:41 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Just got mine in. I'm sure the goal of 50 lenses will be met!

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I know many people are hesitant about these "artsy" lenses but I think it's great that Pentax is now big enough to be considered for them.
Plus it's really nice to be able to try something different for a change

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry, I forgot to include the link.

Yes, I meant that one.
05-05-2016, 05:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm pledging tomorrow. As of now there are 47 backers for the brass model.
05-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Actually it is 25 in black. 50 in Brass. I can't imagine them not combining them to make the 50 if they had < 25 black and < 50 brass but combined they had => 50 brass. That would be silly. Of course if someone asking for black backed out rather than allowing it to be brass you are correct.
Here is what they say:

PENTAX K MOUNT BLACK LENS SPECIAL: Get a Daguerreotype Achromat Black Art Lens with a native Pentax K-mount!
We’re opening an initial 50 pledges. If 25 pledges are met, we’ll be able to offer this bold, brass beauty in Pentax K Mount in Black! If we do not meet 25 pledges, backers will either be refunded after the campaign ends, given the option to downgrade to a Brass Pentax K mount lens (if the goal is met) or a different mount (Canon EF or Nikon

It says they will downgrade to Brass if the goal is met.

Sounds like they need 50 brass. I could be wrong but...
05-05-2016, 09:31 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Here is what they say:

PENTAX K MOUNT BLACK LENS SPECIAL: Get a Daguerreotype Achromat Black Art Lens with a native Pentax K-mount!
We’re opening an initial 50 pledges. If 25 pledges are met, we’ll be able to offer this bold, brass beauty in Pentax K Mount in Black! If we do not meet 25 pledges, backers will either be refunded after the campaign ends, given the option to downgrade to a Brass Pentax K mount lens (if the goal is met) or a different mount (Canon EF or Nikon

It says they will downgrade to Brass if the goal is met.

Sounds like they need 50 brass. I could be wrong but...
Semantics really - the way I read it was that if say 30 were pledged brass and 10 black then they would not be offering the brass version since they did not make the 50 goal. I would expect that if 49 were pledged brass and 10 black -- they would check to see if at least one of the 10 wanted K mount rather than something else.

One question I have is what anyone else gets from EF mount. The EF mount option isn't going to offer automation - I would think the F or K would open more options for resale since either of those can be adapted to EF as well with simple glassless adapters.
05-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Semantics really - the way I read it was that if say 30 were pledged brass and 10 black then they would not be offering the brass version since they did not make the 50 goal. I would expect that if 49 were pledged brass and 10 black -- they would check to see if at least one of the 10 wanted K mount rather than something else.

One question I have is what anyone else gets from EF mount. The EF mount option isn't going to offer automation - I would think the F or K would open more options for resale since either of those can be adapted to EF as well with simple glassless adapters.
I have to disagree. I only make a point of this since people want to know whether or not they will get a lens.

If they don't get 50 brass, it seems like there will be no Pentax version. I encourage people to pledge sooner rather than later.
05-06-2016, 05:06 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
I have to disagree. I only make a point of this since people want to know whether or not they will get a lens.

If they don't get 50 brass, it seems like there will be no Pentax version. I encourage people to pledge sooner rather than later.
Speculation that no longer matters, 50 brass pledged.
05-06-2016, 05:16 AM   #15
Pentaxian

YES! Just went and had a look for myself.

Well done, all you other forty-nine, and thanks for making this happen. Yet another lens under the Christmas tree this year.