Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2008, 06:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
Perfomance is allready great for hobby and amateur photographers.

About primes.... There is no need for such line. First of all too much vaious focal lengths, secondly - Pentax is amateur gear, not "Professional" like C* or N*. There is no need in 1.2 primes - no body will by them, as well as 1.8/2.0 primes are not profitable - people preffer zooms.
I don't agree. Pentax has always as far as I can understand had a good reputation of their glass. They always had great buildquality and great glass in their lenses. I myself use almost only Pentax lenses I got almost 20 old lenses from Pentax. Infact, one of the very reasons I went for Pentax over Canon was the glass.

QuoteQuote:
Aaaaand... Current primes line:
DA Lims: 15/(i guess 4.5), 21/3.5, 35/2.8, 40/2.8, 70/2.4 (here we need something like 105/2.8 or 3.5)
DA* primes: 30/(i guess 1.4 or 1.7), 55/1.4, (here we need 85/1.4 and 135/2.8)
DA limiteds are not for me, if I am to buy new modern glass I want SDM and I want weathersealing. Why else would I want a body that has the seals? I don't care if my 50mm is 5cm long or even 15 cm long, I am looking for other functionality, if I wanted small lenses, to fit my underwear, I'd get a compact. Limiteds are for Olympus cameras.

DA* is not for me, it has no aperture ring and it will not work with fullformat.

And here is the quirk, I want both focus motors, I want to be able to use it on analog cameras. If I dish up 1000 on a lense, I want to be able to use it on both film and digital.

FA is not for me, it lacks quick-shift, SDM and seals.

So basically, my lenses are FA*+. Aperturering, SDM and ordinary focus, seals, metal construction that will last for 150 years.

And I think there is a customertype for nonzoomable proper fullformat lenses that has buildquality. I'd happily pay tripple for the FA 50/1.4 if it had SDM, quick-shift and seals. Infact, I could consider to pay 4 times.

07-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote

My shoes are a pair of Dr.Marteen's military lowcuts with steel platings in the front. I bought them 5 years ago, after my other pair broke down completly. It is my only pair of shoes and I use them every day 365 days a year, I use them at weddings, just finish them up with new black and polish. I use them in the forest when I am out hiking and taking photographs, I wear them in the snow (I do add some extra padding in the winter though, because the plates gets cold.
The shoes cost me about 70 new, which is about 12 per year so far.
shoes are a very important part of a persons life-long health.

proper footwear helps relieve stress on your feet, correct and maintain proper posture. This results in less stress on your spine and generaly a more relaxed physical condition, both of which will increase the lifespan of your physical body.

It is highly recomended that it be changed depending on use as often as 3-4 months, for the simple reason that they WEAR OUT. Your sole padding wears out, the shoes get dirty and unless you wash them in the washer once a month they get contaminated with dirt and mildue, something you dont notice since you (i assume) change socks regulary and wash your feet, but its effects are there.

footwear is built for specific purposes, and should be used accordingly. Running shoes are designed with stiff arch support, with a curved foot pattern for easier movement and a reduction in shoe compression, as the additional flex will ruin the shoe and put undue stress in your efforts to "bend" the shoe"

basketball shoes are usualy built heavy and tall, this is because your foot and ankle require a great deal of support for the natural movements involved in basketball. Playing basketball in running shoes will lead to greater risk of ankle strain.

crosstrainers are a mix between the two.

i can get more into shoes but you will probably fall asleep at some point

the point is, having one pair of shoes for everything for a year (or more) is BAD FOR YOU, you WILL feel the impact of this later on in life, much like smoking, you are putting undue strain on your body now and shrugging everything off by saying "i can handle it"

it is obvious you never took the time to read into the matter, nor have you walked around in comfortable shoes (and socks, btw) built for specific purposes.

Usually I wear ordinary blue jeans when I am outdoors and ordinary training pants when I am indoors slacking. A pair of jeans usually cost me about 10-12 I do not care what brand it is, as long as it is proper jeans cloth that do hold to some wear and tear. They usually last for 2-3 years if I have 3 pairs.
in my experience (comming from a poor family) 20 dollar jeans do not last 3 years, ever.

I have one proper suit which cost me about 120 when I bought it 7 years ago, it still fits and looks mint.
you're lifestyle does not put you in situations then that require more than one suit

or maybe you never show up to the same party twice so people dont notice that you are wearing the same thing, for 7 years...

Btw, most of my camera lenses dates earlier then 1980, they all have one thing in common, they are of quality.
yes, and they also look very cool!

I got a motorcycle that was built 1983 (Suzuki GRS 650), runs like a charm, never breaks down. Quality, but not the looks of a HD or one of the newer bikes.
so you are saying that modern bikes break down every sunday?

Basically, I live a life where I use thing that can stand to be used and I do put value into quality over looks. My computer don't have a case, it gets too hot .
a few RPM controlled 3" fans cost 10-15 bucks, put those in, there is your cooling.

a computer case is there to protect your electronics from dust collection and accidental spills or introduction of foreign elements (like baby fingers or cats)

in fact with proper cooling and a sealed case, you create a cooler atmosphere inside, much like a fridge, resulting in more stable performance!

I do not in anyway, deny that in marketing looks matter. But as I said, I am still amazed that it do that, to the extent it does. Especially when it comes to clothes really, where a crap t-shirt can sell for 5 times more then a quality t-shirt. Only difference is that you get to do PR for the company that does the crap one.
you dont like to stand out visually, thats your call.

if you laugh at people that put a value on esthetic's , well in all honesty that is your loss.

personally i find a person dresses fashionable as someone that a) has an expressive personality b) takes care of themselves c) neat/diligent

and even then, you dont need "super fancy clothes", someone can look very fashionable in a plain black t-shirt and black jeans, but that is only they buy the more expensive t-shirts and jeans that have a stylish "cut and fit" to them, they match their physical form, resulting in "someone pretty to look at"

your 5 dollar jeans and 5 dollar t-shirts, while effective at... keeping you clothes, are all cut to a very generic design, they dont fit, anybody, they do nothing to bring out your features as a person.

having a neat camera is just another accessory, why must we be foolish if we want our gear to look nice?

remember that "form follows function", what better way to express this concept than in a highly specialized piece of equipment as a camera??

if i gave you a camera shaped as a large black pen*s, would you use it?

how about a fake turd? imagine walking around with a big pile of turd in your hands snapping away, would you feel comfortable in public? how about at a wedding?

and for gods sakes, you're a photographer, you spend your entire time trying to capture VISUALLY APPEALING IMAGES and yet you care not as to how YOU present YOURSELF to the world? honestly now.
07-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
shoes are a very important part of a persons life-long health.
----8<----[SNIP]
i can get more into shoes but you will probably fall asleep at some point
Yes. And my shoes have undergone repairs and gotten new paddings during the years. Of a sum that's not even mentionable. My last pair of sneakers lasted for 2 months before I had to throw them away, because, they were irrepairable. Looked good though, with sparkles and waterbubbles.

QuoteQuote:
the point is, having one pair of shoes for everything for a year (or more) is BAD FOR YOU, you WILL feel the impact of this later on in life, much like smoking, you are putting undue strain on your body now and shrugging everything off by saying "i can handle it"
Unless, you only do one thing with your shoes, walk. I don't run, I don't play basketball, I don't jump up and down. I walk and believe me these shoes are made for walking.

QuoteQuote:
in my experience (comming from a poor family) 20 dollar jeans do not last 3 years, ever.
Sure they do. The pair I am using now, I remember buying 2 years ago and there fine. Another pair I bought at the same time has a hole though, at the bottom of one leg, but its repairable if i bothered.

QuoteQuote:
you're lifestyle does not put you in situations then that require more than one suit

or maybe you never show up to the same party twice so people dont notice that you are wearing the same thing, for 7 years...
For me, needing more then one suit is nonexistant. I worked as a consultant for a few years and never needed to use a suit. A shirt and jeans do well enough if you keep them clean. Infact, I even got told that it was nice that i wasnt one of the "suits".

QuoteQuote:
yes, and they also look very cool!
They do, but that is not why I use them, I use them because they are quality built. I swear I will be using my Super Takumars long after my last new zoom/lens have ended up in a scrapyard.

QuoteQuote:
so you are saying that modern bikes break down every sunday?
A guy I used to ride with, he had a spanking new Yamaha, cant remember the model. It was shiny and completly outperformed me on acceleration. He could not go out if it was too moisty though, because the filters got sticky and moist got sucked into the engine when he drove it. So after a while it would get hickups. It was a known issue and he just had to wait until the really sunny days.

QuoteQuote:
a few RPM controlled 3" fans cost 10-15 bucks, put those in, there is your cooling.

a computer case is there to protect your electronics from dust collection and accidental spills or introduction of foreign elements (like baby fingers or cats)
Indeed. I opted for putting the computer high up so that noone reach it and keep the side off. After switching out the fans 2 times. The problem is the GPU that overheats, because the manufacturer did not think of cooling the memory. Ontop of that, their flashy plastic piece of shit fan, blows the heat onto the memory of the GPU. Known issue, "keep computer cool". I have 3 fans blowing air into a fulltower cases and it is not enough for the GPU to manage. Sure I could get a third party fan and install, I did that on my last GPU, but instead of wasting money I keep the case open so that it is easier to clean, it looks kinda cool too, when you keep it clean and all cables nicely fit.

QuoteQuote:
you dont like to stand out visually, thats your call.

if you laugh at people that put a value on esthetic's , well in all honesty that is your loss.
I don't laugh at people. I am just intruiged by the fact that appearence often is a factor that might determine ones choices over functionality or quality.

QuoteQuote:
personally i find a person dresses fashionable as someone that a) has an expressive personality b) takes care of themselves c) neat/diligent
Fashion is subjective, there are alot of "unfashionable" clothes that I think are very neat. People that have different, yet wrong haircuts and what not. Just think of the punks.

QuoteQuote:
and even then, you dont need "super fancy clothes", someone can look very fashionable in a plain black t-shirt and black jeans, but that is only they buy the more expensive t-shirts and jeans that have a stylish "cut and fit" to them, they match their physical form, resulting in "someone pretty to look at"

your 5 dollar jeans and 5 dollar t-shirts, while effective at... keeping you clothes, are all cut to a very generic design, they dont fit, anybody, they do nothing to bring out your features as a person.
My features comes out of my personality, not my clothes. I don't need a t-shirt that says BILLABONG or whatever it is, in pink all over to be statisfied with myself. Nor do I need Armani glasses, nor do I need a Ferrari. I do very well anyway.

QuoteQuote:
having a neat camera is just another accessory, why must we be foolish if we want our gear to look nice?
Once again, I don't think its foolish, I think it is strange, different from my point of view. Alien.

QuoteQuote:
remember that "form follows function", what better way to express this concept than in a highly specialized piece of equipment as a camera??
And whats wrong with the K20D form or quality? Whats so bad with it that we need a chrome ripoff of the old Asahi cameras and spend time on developing it? Time that could be used to develop the existing lines instead? Perhaps spend it on improving the DA* 16-50

QuoteQuote:
and for gods sakes, you're a photographer, you spend your entire time trying to capture VISUALLY APPEALING IMAGES and yet you care not as to how YOU present YOURSELF to the world? honestly now.
I capture alot of stuff, not necessarily beautiful or visually appealing things.

For example:

That guy have looked the same for the past 15 years. Every day pretty much. Is he not attractive to the eye? I love the way he stands out and I love the motif he makes. Yet his clothes was probably thrown away by someone and he just picked them up. Ontop of that, he is the nicest guy there is.

Does this guy look like a wreck?

I got the exact same shirt when I chop wood, cost 15 for two of them at a shop nearby and its pretty much untearable.
07-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #19
Veteran Member

you never answered my question if you would be okay walking around at a wedding with a camera shaped like a giant fake turd or a giant black pen*s.