Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2016, 06:26 PM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Figure out a way to get her interested in shooting WITH you.

I got my GF hooked and when I bought my Sigma 500 f4.5, the first thing she said was "Where's MINE?!?"
I once bought an OptioA40 on close out, but didn't open the box right away. Then a K2DMD came along that I couldn't resist. When I opened the K2 box mrs. monochrome said, "Gee, I'd like a neat camera too-ooh-ooh!"

"Well," says I, "I was going to wrap something, but if you want it now . . . . "

We actually shoot together quite often, but we have a philosophical disagreement. She believes one should never take a photo that doesn't have a person in it.

06-02-2016, 06:27 PM   #137
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
i I once bought an OptioA40 on close out, but didn't open the box right away. Then a K2DMD came along that I couldn't resist. When I opened the K2 box mrs. monochrome said, "Gee, I'd like a neat camera too Oooh ooh!"

"Well," says I, "I was going to wrap something, but if you want it now . . . . "

We actually shoot together quite often, but we have a philosophical disagreement. She believes one should never take a photo that doesn't have a person in it.
LeRolls thinks that way, I kinda like it.
06-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
06-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You think so? I think he has some amazing photos without people and I wish he was making more of them - but I bet they pay a lot less than the model shots.

06-03-2016, 04:06 AM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
You think so? I think he has some amazing photos without people and I wish he was making more of them - but I bet they pay a lot less than the model shots.
I'll take your word for it,
06-03-2016, 05:07 AM   #141
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Oh, yeah, my bad, I'm confusing it for a classical sonnet that has 14 lines.

Apologies ... you're now my favourite Pentaxforums poet!
haha no worries,
I had to double check myself!
Been a while...
06-03-2016, 05:56 AM   #142
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
There have been plenty of threads here such as, "What's your favorite lens", "If you could only have three, what would they be", etc, etc.

I am actually thinking practically about this though.
I have never had a lot of gear, but even more so I am just trying to simplify my life. Less is more in my mind.

I have been shooting almost exclusively with my DA*300 and K-3ii lately. It's Spring and there's enough to keep me busy with that setup.

I have a 35mm macro, an 18-135, and an A 135mm F2.8.
All of these lenses I've listed on the marketplace to sell for an upcoming honeymoon that needs funds appropriated.

However, I am thinking how I want to fill my bag when I return. It may take a few months to slowly build up my quiver again, but I want to start planning now.

I'm keeping the DA*300, I'll likely never get rid of it.

But, if I were to get just two more lenses:
I have always wanted a 15mm f4 limited. So there's my wide angle covered...

I really do love the 35mm macro limited; I was considering re-purchasing the HD version this Fall (assuming I sell my current lens before the wedding in June.)

Am I crazy?
15/4, 35/2.8, 300/4

That would be my kit...

35mm-300mm is a big gap...
But I really love that 35ltd.

I'd love to get an FA77, but likely out of my budget seeing that I wouldn't be shooting with it too often.
I primarily am interested in wildlife, so if anything a 1.4xtc would better suit my photography "needs" (let's all be honest, they are desires!)

Should I consider the DA70?
Would I miss the 35ltd too much?

What do you think?
Obviously each photographer has their own style, their own preference.
The only thing I worry about is speed... My faster lens would be an f2.8 if I go this route.

Considerations if you would like to recommend two lenses instead:
AF preferred.
WR would be great, but not necessary (ie: 15/4, 35/2.8)
I'll likely never buy the K-1 so DA lenses are fine
Wildlife is primary subject, but "need" a wide angle for when it's suitable
Budget: $600-700 total

Cheers!
Looking forward to people calling me crazy or suggesting another route!
This is my current setup:

For outdoors I mostly use the A 35-210 that is powerful and with good IQ for a zoom, my main standard lens is the fast K50mm f1.2 that I use a little for everything along with my "second" standard, the M 85mm f2 that I can use for portraits and many other things.

The widest lens I have is that K24mm f2.8, I also use sometimes the M35 f2.8 mainly because unlike the zoom it's short and handy, so in cropped placed it is useful.

I would like to complete it with a 300 mm, or a 100-300mm zoom, unfortunately I don't think Pentax ever offered anything like the Canon FD 100-300 "L".
06-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #143
Pentaxian

It's nice to see equipment pix, too, even if the ones they make are usually what we center on. So, Cuthbert, you haven't considered a third-party Pentax-compatible 100-300mm zoom? I think there were a few of them, especially if you consider manual focus ones. Not that I don't respect Pentax-purity for folks who choose it.

06-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #144
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
It's nice to see equipment pix, too, even if the ones they make are usually what we center on. So, Cuthbert, you haven't considered a third-party Pentax-compatible 100-300mm zoom? I think there were a few of them, especially if you consider manual focus ones. Not that I don't respect Pentax-purity for folks who choose it.
Hello Goats, yes it would be better to take pics of what we use I agree.

In my case I have nothing against using non Pentax equipment, this is just a case because I carry this gear with me at the moment but I have a nice Soviet Volna 50mm f1.8 in K mount that I consider superior to Pentax glass of the same class.

The problem regarding non OEM zooms of that era is that most of them are pretty bad, if somebody would have told me in the 90s that Sigma and Cosina would have become top brands comparable to Canonikon and Pentax I would have laughed at him. Even most Pentax zooms of that era (es. the M40-80mm) are mediocre, this A superzoom was meant from the beginning to compete with the equally excellent Nikkor 35-200 (that I also have).

Do you know any non Pentax zoom that is as good as these ones? I am open to suggestions.

P.S. For the 20mm I would like to get a Mir 47K but they are even more expensive than Pentax 20mm ones!
06-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #145
Pentaxian

I don't have any top-of-the-line zooms to compare to, and my only Pentax lenses are an old Super-Takumar f1.8 55mm and two SMC Pentax-As, a 35-80mm and an 80-200mm. Other zooms I have don't include a 100-300mm, but if I were looking for the best of those available (or the best of them I could afford), I'd spend some quality time with the forum's lens review section. I wonder whether any maker's 100-300mm gets especially high marks there?