Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #31
Veteran Member

3 prime kits were one the standard in the film days. Something like 35/50/135 or 24/35/85 or 35/85/135 etc

I mainly shoot wildlife as well and my kit isnt dissimilar to what you are looking at. Persobally i would not not want less than 4 primes- 3 to cover the stadard range and the 4th for wildlife. The longer i have shot the less i use zooms. I went from using a tamron 28-200 on my film camera to now i dont use any zooms.

My kit is da15/fa35/A 50 1.7/ m100 4 macro/ da*300
Its very rare that i ise the 100 macro. And the 50 sees little action but when i need it, its not replaceable.

05-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
3 prime kits were one the standard in the film days. Something like 35/50/135 or 24/35/85 or 35/85/135 etc

I mainly shoot wildlife as well and my kit isnt dissimilar to what you are looking at. Persobally i would not not want less than 4 primes- 3 to cover the stadard range and the 4th for wildlife. The longer i have shot the less i use zooms. I went from using a tamron 28-200 on my film camera to now i dont use any zooms.

My kit is da15/fa35/A 50 1.7/ m100 4 macro/ da*300
Its very rare that i ise the 100 macro. And the 50 sees little action but when i need it, its not replaceable.
Interesting!
Yeah this is basically what I'm going for

(affordable kit)
DA15 f4
DA35 macro f2.8
DA70 f2.4
DA*300 f4

(dream kit)
DA15 f4
FA31 f1.8
FA*85 f1.4 or FA77 f1.8
Sigma 500 f4.5
05-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #33
Pentaxian

You are not crazy. For quite some time I happily used the 15/35macro/70 combo as my main out and about kit. Occasionally I would modify that by swapping the 15 for the 21 depending if the circumstances required it and often I would bring the dfa100mm along because that used to be my longest lens making for a 3 or 4 lens kit that was very portable, very high quality and could cover most anything. I had the 40mm at one time and it is a fantastic lens, but for me I used the 35macro quite a lot and its versatility cannot be emphasized enough. I thought at one time that once I obtained the 31mm limited I wouldn't use the 35macro anymore but that turned out not to be the case, they are that different and each have their own use.

In your case, as much as I like the 100mm macro, I would say the 70mm is fantastic. It makes a brilliant short telephoto lens, portrait lens as well as a nice landscape lens that can provide a bit of nice subject isolation with decent compression. Therefore were I in your situation my kit would be the 15/35/70 plus your *300mm, so 4 lenses that will probably cover most if not all " your " intended bases. Whatever you decide...good luck and congrats on the marriage!
05-06-2016, 11:50 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Interesting!
Yeah this is basically what I'm going for

(affordable kit)
DA15 f4
DA35 macro f2.8
DA70 f2.4
DA*300 f4

(dream kit)
DA15 f4
FA31 f1.8
FA*85 f1.4 or FA77 f1.8
Sigma 500 f4.5
I have the FA 31 and FA 77 and still I found myself carrying the 15/40/70 often just for sheer size benefits.
The FA 31 and FA 77 are wonderful lenses there is no doubt of this - but size is sometimes a worthwhile trump. I would rotate the 31 or the 77 in for the 40 or 70 if something dictated needing the extra speed or rendering characteristics.

05-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Or even the 70 is pocket-able I think?
If you have a travel vest with baggy pockets, yes. I wouldn't try putting this in a jeans pocket; it's a bit big for that even if you take the hood off and use a very thin pinch-fit lenscap. The problem I had with the DA70, time and time again, is that compared to most other recent Pentax primes it seems to have a VERY long minimum focus distance. This was a constant frustration when I was Singling with it. Now that's not bad for a portrait lens, which is basically what the DA70 is supposed to be (you don't really want to get that close with it after all), but as a general purpose lens this has its downside at times.

However, if you're using it beyond arm's reach that's not too much of a problem, and having both the 70 and the 100 I can assure you the 70 is MUCH smaller. You seem to have sort of made up you mind already...

Now I just need to gather the funds and sell my current gear to pick up a 15 & 70
...but I could post pictures of the two together if you still want.
05-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If you have a travel vest with baggy pockets, yes. I wouldn't try putting this in a jeans pocket; it's a bit big for that even if you take the hood off and use a very thin pinch-fit lenscap. The problem I had with the DA70, time and time again, is that compared to most other recent Pentax primes it seems to have a VERY long minimum focus distance. This was a constant frustration when I was Singling with it. Now that's not bad for a portrait lens, which is basically what the DA70 is supposed to be (you don't really want to get that close with it after all), but as a general purpose lens this has its downside at times.
When I singled with it I used the Raynox DCR-150 to get my closer focus fix. LOL. I know what you mean however.
05-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Whatever you decide...good luck and congrats on the marriage!
Thanks!!

I agree, the 100 may be a "Down the road" LBA purchase.
For now, the DA70 seems appropriate.

---------- Post added 05-06-16 at 03:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have the FA 31 and FA 77 and still I found myself carrying the 15/40/70 often just for sheer size benefits.
The FA 31 and FA 77 are wonderful lenses there is no doubt of this - but size is sometimes a worthwhile trump. I would rotate the 31 or the 77 in for the 40 or 70 if something dictated needing the extra speed or rendering characteristics.
Interesting.
I am completely aware and accepting of the fact that I will not become a better photographer based on what lens I have.

Whether it's a DA70 or an FA77. The 35mm macro or the FA31. I still have a lot to learn.
If I get the DA70 and shoot with it only to discover there is something missing, then I'll take the next step from there.

Thanks for the input!

---------- Post added 05-06-16 at 03:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote

However, if you're using it beyond arm's reach that's not too much of a problem, and having both the 70 and the 100 I can assure you the 70 is MUCH smaller. You seem to have sort of made up you mind already...

...but I could post pictures of the two together if you still want.
Hey, pictures are always welcomes!
We're on a photography forum after-all

Thanks for the input!
Cheers!

---------- Post added 05-06-16 at 03:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
When I singled with it I used the Raynox DCR-150 to get my closer focus fix. LOL. I know what you mean however.
Another accessory I have yet to try out!
05-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're on the right track. Now just do what you think is right and make it work.

Then, one lens at a time until you have the dream kit.

05-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a shot made with the DA 70 with a Raynox DCR-250 attached. The beetle in question isn't tiny he was at least an inch long if not longer.

Here's a silly set of shots of my FA 77 wearing the hood from the DA 70. The FA 70 hood is designed for full frame and I wanted to see if it offered better protection without vignetting - you be the judge of the sky shots.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsknh6jYY

This is the kind of bokeh you can get.

05-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #40
Veteran Member

There have been plenty of threads here such as, "What's your favorite lens", "If you could only have three, what would they be", etc, etc.

I am actually thinking practically about this though.
I have never had a lot of gear, but even more so I am just trying to simplify my life. Less is more in my mind.

I have been shooting almost exclusively with my DA*300 and K-3ii lately. It's Spring and there's enough to keep me busy with that setup.

I have a 35mm macro, an 18-135, and an A 135mm F2.8.
All of these lenses I've listed on the marketplace to sell for an upcoming honeymoon that needs funds appropriated.

However, I am thinking how I want to fill my bag when I return. It may take a few months to slowly build up my quiver again, but I want to start planning now.

I'm keeping the DA*300, I'll likely never get rid of it.

But, if I were to get just two more lenses:
I have always wanted a 15mm f4 limited. So there's my wide angle covered...

I really do love the 35mm macro limited; I was considering re-purchasing the HD version this Fall (assuming I sell my current lens before the wedding in June.)

Am I crazy?
15/4, 35/2.8, 300/4

That would be my kit...

35mm-300mm is a big gap...
But I really love that 35ltd.

I'd love to get an FA77, but likely out of my budget seeing that I wouldn't be shooting with it too often.
I primarily am interested in wildlife, so if anything a 1.4xtc would better suit my photography "needs" (let's all be honest, they are desires!)

Should I consider the DA70?
Would I miss the 35ltd too much?

What do you think?
Obviously each photographer has their own style, their own preference.
The only thing I worry about is speed... My faster lens would be an f2.8 if I go this route.

Considerations if you would like to recommend two lenses instead:
AF preferred.
WR would be great, but not necessary (ie: 15/4, 35/2.8)
I'll likely never buy the K-1 so DA lenses are fine
Wildlife is primary subject, but "need" a wide angle for when it's suitable
Budget: $600-700 total

Cheers!
Looking forward to people calling me crazy or suggesting another route!
I started out with a 50mm prime and then a 28mm prime and then a 70-210 zoom back in the 70's when using a k1000 and paper route money.
Then in 2006 I went digital, and wanted to cover as much real estate within a tight budget and ended up with a 17-70 and 50-200 zoom.
Around 2010 I started climbing the corporate ladder and had a better budget, so I started accumulating "pro" zooms.
In 2012 I started sipping from the "Only primes will rule the world" Kool-Aid. Since apparently everyone in Pentax-land believes that a complete DSLR kit should weigh no more than a gerbil. I sold all my zooms and went with 4 primes.
But then I needed 5...... and then 6.... Soon I had 8 primes in my bag because I shoot landscape and wildlife. I'm on a rock in the middle of a stream, or in a tree dangling over a ledge, or on a 2 foot wide ledge with my belt looped around a tree. Or any other various situations where I can't "zoom with my feet." And then what really hit me was, "why the hell am I doing so much cropping?" Nearly 2/3 of all my "keepers" had been cropped in some way shape or form. What a waste of megapixels!
I'm now back to a zoom kit, plus a couple prime true macros. I crop with my zoom to get a finished image compositionally in camera which I think is a far better use of the sensor.
Additionally, I don't buy the "one prime will make you a better photographer" argument. It's like saying driving one car at one speed will make you a better driver. When it comes to creating an image, the object is to get it as close to complete before post processing, this includes exposure AND composition. How does forcing a compositional perspective on every image and then cropping in post make one "better"?
Ultimately, you will do what you do and the zoom haters will continue to hate zoomers. So be it. But you asked if I thought you are crazy for a 3 prime kit? The answer is absolutely yes. You are limiting creative process immensely and will be forced to make up for it in post.
NOW..... if you can say with out a doubt, during the course of about 5000 shots, you don't end up cropping anymore than say 25%, then by all means, your shooting style is perfect for primes. But I bet you will find yourself doing a whole lot of cropping, and now you are turning your fancy 24MP or 36MP sensor into a 10-16 MP sensor? Why would you do that?
05-06-2016, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I started out with a 50mm prime and then a 28mm prime and then a 70-210 zoom back in the 70's when using a k1000 and paper route money.
Then in 2006 I went digital, and wanted to cover as much real estate within a tight budget and ended up with a 17-70 and 50-200 zoom.
Around 2010 I started climbing the corporate ladder and had a better budget, so I started accumulating "pro" zooms.
In 2012 I started sipping from the "Only primes will rule the world" Kool-Aid. Since apparently everyone in Pentax-land believes that a complete DSLR kit should weigh no more than a gerbil. I sold all my zooms and went with 4 primes.
But then I needed 5...... and then 6.... Soon I had 8 primes in my bag because I shoot landscape and wildlife. I'm on a rock in the middle of a stream, or in a tree dangling over a ledge, or on a 2 foot wide ledge with my belt looped around a tree. Or any other various situations where I can't "zoom with my feet." And then what really hit me was, "why the hell am I doing so much cropping?" Nearly 2/3 of all my "keepers" had been cropped in some way shape or form. What a waste of megapixels!
I'm now back to a zoom kit, plus a couple prime true macros. I crop with my zoom to get a finished image compositionally in camera which I think is a far better use of the sensor.
Additionally, I don't buy the "one prime will make you a better photographer" argument. It's like saying driving one car at one speed will make you a better driver. When it comes to creating an image, the object is to get it as close to complete before post processing, this includes exposure AND composition. How does forcing a compositional perspective on every image and then cropping in post make one "better"?
Ultimately, you will do what you do and the zoom haters will continue to hate zoomers. So be it. But you asked if I thought you are crazy for a 3 prime kit? The answer is absolutely yes. You are limiting creative process immensely and will be forced to make up for it in post.
NOW..... if you can say with out a doubt, during the course of about 5000 shots, you don't end up cropping anymore than say 25%, then by all means, your shooting style is perfect for primes. But I bet you will find yourself doing a whole lot of cropping, and now you are turning your fancy 24MP or 36MP sensor into a 10-16 MP sensor? Why would you do that?
I can take or leave primes or zooms. The shooting process is different in my opinion. I don't think Primes necessarily are a better option. The 50-135 DA* is a great example of a lens that is hard to fault. There is however a tendency to be a bit lazy in composition and not walk about and see other options. Some photographers might not benefit from this - but I wonder if the primes only stint improved your eye? The artificial restrictions placed on us sometimes result in creative solutions. I think primes do that vs. zooms.

Lastly as far as cropping - we are so spoiled - we can crop 25% away and most of the time not even notice. The quality is crazy good these days.
05-06-2016, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Right,
So the 300 is a given, that's always gonna be on my K-3ii when heading out (I say always, but I guess 90% of the time unless I'm not shooting wildlife).

It'd be nice to have a "pocket" kit like the 15/40.

Or even the 70 is pocket-able I think?
More or less depending on your pockets. I carry a body and those three in a Crumpler Four Million Dollar Home. My man-purse.
05-06-2016, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #43
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Am I crazy for only wanting 3 primes?
All I can say is... "good luck with that".
05-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a light kit, instead of the 35mm Macro, if you're selling it now anyway, I would seriously look into the DA 35/2.4 (or the FA, but that gets expensive again) later. I've taken the vast majority of my prime lens photos on APS-C with it. And this is not about the excellent price, but due to it's optical and handling qualities. I do own the HD15mm, DA70mm and DA100mm WR discussed above plus various 50s but I haven't considered the 35mm Macro. I like the excellent rendering of the DA 35/2.4, super light weight and extremely fast and sure AF (on K-5), which eliminates most of the disadvantage of the missing instant manual focus. 35mm would be too short for most of my real macro photos and close-ups e.g. of flowers, are easily still doable.

I often leave with the 35mm on camera and the 15mm, with soft pouch, in my jacket. Unless you're really into macro (close to 1:1), I would also definitely favor the compact 70mm over 100mn - much more useful for most people settings and landscape. So another thumbs up for 15/35/70/300, with a close-up achromat I would feel well-equipped and if if really asked for one less below the 300mm, indeed drop the 70mm, confirming your original plan. A K-3ii is good for a lot of cropping if needed.

Great thing is that they all take 49mm filters (I was really puzzled in the field with a new DA50 when my ND suddenly did not fit, and for no obvious reason!), which are rather inexpensive and nicely compact.
05-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can anyone explain to me why they are blaming a non-prime lens for making them lazy? I would think 35 mm is 35 mm whether it is a prime lens or wrapped inside an 18-55 mm lens. How does the lens make you lazy?

You could argue that the prime gives you a sharper photo. But I don't understand the lazy argument. And I also don't understand the "see things better" argument.

It seems I could as easily say the zoom encourages (causes?) me to look harder and think more about a shot because the lens gives me many opportunities and choices the prime doesn't give me.

Just wondering.

Don