Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Can anyone explain to me why they are blaming a non-prime lens for making them lazy? I would think 35 mm is 35 mm whether it is a prime lens or wrapped inside an 18-55 mm lens. How does the lens make you lazy?

You could argue that the prime gives you a sharper photo. But I don't understand the lazy argument. And I also don't understand the "see things better" argument.

It seems I could as easily say the zoom encourages (causes?) me to look harder and think more about a shot because the lens gives me many opportunities and choices the prime doesn't give me.

Just wondering.

Don
I'm not speaking in theory - this is my experience and I see it in others that I know. I'm not saying it makes a lot of sense but let me walk you through a hypothetical example. I come upon an interesting shack. I frame it and zoom in and get the shot. On another day I come across something similar but I have the primes with me. I walk around the object and try various angles until I find one that works with the native field of view of the lens and fits my artistic vision. Could this have happened with the zoom - OF COURSE - but it's too easy to sit complacent where you first spotted your potential shot. Do I fight this and try to avoid it with a zoom - yes. Do I think I'm successful - partially yes.

I'm not the guy who claims you must use primes - I'm just a guy explaining why I think primes can sometimes spur people into more creative shots and thus they start to believe it's the only way to shoot. Personally I'm a photo whore - give me a lens (any lens) and a camera (any camera) and I will find something fun to shoot with it. My iPhone, my Android, my K-3, my LX7 my GX7... they all see time.

05-06-2016, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I come upon an interesting shack..... I walk around the object and try various angles until I find one that works with the native field of view of the lens and fits my artistic vision.
I do that every single time, whether I have a zoom or a prime, that's a requirement for getting the shot right. I learned long ago, your first angle may not be the best angle.

There's creative framing, low, medium, high angles, foreground anchor(s), flat field, panorama. Almost every single subject has these shots and more in anywhere from 30-180 degree arc.

If one is just walking up and ONLY taking the first shot and you are blaming that on the type of lens one carries in their kit, that's apples to oranges.

Sometimes it takes me 20 minutes of doing nothing but sitting there to get a feel for the scene, scout the avenues of approach, look for light play. And I haven't even taken my camera out of my bag. That's not because of what lenses I have in my kit.
05-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I do that every single time, whether I have a zoom or a prime, that's a requirement for getting the shot right. I learned long ago, your first angle may not be the best angle.

There's creative framing, low, medium, high angles, foreground anchor(s), flat field, panorama. Almost every single subject has these shots and more in anywhere from 30-180 degree arc.

If one is just walking up and ONLY taking the first shot and you are blaming that on the type of lens one carries in their kit, that's apples to oranges.

Sometimes it takes me 20 minutes of doing nothing but sitting there to get a feel for the scene, scout the avenues of approach, look for light play. And I haven't even taken my camera out of my bag. That's not because of what lenses I have in my kit.
I try to be that way myself but I am speaking from experience as to what I see and feel.
05-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to admit that it is situational for me. If I am out by myself I am likely to wonder around looking for what I think will be the best shot. If I am with my wife, then the time I spend on a shot is likely to be a lot less.

So in my case it's my wife that determines the care I take on a shot, and in your case it's your lens.

05-07-2016, 05:08 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to admit that it is situational for me. If I am out by myself I am likely to wonder around looking for what I think will be the best shot. If I am with my wife, then the time I spend on a shot is likely to be a lot less.

So in my case it's my wife that determines the care I take on a shot, and in your case it's your lens.

Lol. Not entirely, I carry a zoom when I'm with the wife, maybe there is more to this than the lens...
05-07-2016, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lol. Not entirely, I carry a zoom when I'm with the wife, maybe there is more to this than the lens...
Hmmmm... We may be onto something.
05-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Hmmmm... We may be onto something.
Seems like the beginnings of the formulation of a hypothesis but perhaps there are other factors at play as well such as age or how long we have been married. For example, my wife will frequently serve as both a lens carrier and an extra set of hands to facilitate lens changing while patiently waiting and even encouraging me to take whatever time I need to frame my shots. We are only 7 years married, no kids yet and she is in her low 30s.

Maybe you have uncovered an interesting but disturbing trend , although I do have zooms I rarely use them because I love using primes...will that change?

05-07-2016, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Seems like the beginnings of the formulation of a hypothesis but perhaps there are other factors at play as well such as age or how long we have been married. For example, my wife will frequently serve as both a lens carrier and an extra set of hands to facilitate lens changing while patiently waiting and even encouraging me to take whatever time I need to frame my shots. We are only 7 years married, no kids yet and she is in her low 30s.

Maybe you have uncovered an interesting but disturbing trend , although I do have zooms I rarely use them because I love using primes...will that change?
Well, at 50 years I can guarantee you your wife will definitely NOT be your sherpa.
05-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Well, at 50 years I can guarantee you your wife will definitely NOT be your sherpa.
What??? You mean she will no longer be content so long as I take some photos of her too?
05-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #55
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've read through a few threads like this where the 15, 30(or 40), 70 (or 77) combo seems hugely popular as the all-purpose kit. Something that doesn't really come up though is the lack of speed - the fastest of those lenses is f/2.4, which isn't bad but isn't particularly fast. How does everyone deal with that? I'm tempted to head towards the same kit, but I feel like I'd miss my faster lenses.
05-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jmhsnk Quote
I've read through a few threads like this where the 15, 30(or 40), 70 (or 77) combo seems hugely popular as the all-purpose kit. Something that doesn't really come up though is the lack of speed - the fastest of those lenses is f/2.4, which isn't bad but isn't particularly fast. How does everyone deal with that? I'm tempted to head towards the same kit, but I feel like I'd miss my faster lenses.
What I do is grab and carry a faster lens when I need one. But otherwise I just push the ISO and use DXO OPTICS to reduce noise. We are talking 1-1.5 stops.
05-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Then use the DA14 instead of the DA15, FA31 instead of the 30/40, and the FA77 instead of the DA70 ... come on, Jmhsnk, play along with the group! ☺

Last edited by clackers; 05-07-2016 at 02:27 PM.
05-07-2016, 02:22 PM - 2 Likes   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
. For example, my wife will frequently serve as both a lens carrier and an extra set of hands to facilitate lens changing while patiently waiting and even encouraging me to take whatever time I need to frame my shots.
If I asked my wife to act as my unpaid photography assistant, a proctologist would soon be required to recover my monopod, GDA.
05-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #59
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I was thinking that keeping faster lenses around would be a good work around... though I must say I was hoping for a wonderful alternative I simply hadn't thought of as my budget would definitely love to keep lenses to a minimum.

We are talking 1-1.5 stops
That's true, maybe I wouldn't miss it as much as I am thinking I would.

---------- Post added 05-07-16 at 02:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Then use the DA14 instead of the DA15, FA31 instead of the 30/40, and the FA77 instead of the DA70 ... come on, Jmhsnk, play along with the group! ☺
I'd love to! But my wallet says no

The 30/40, 70 combo's definitely more common from the responses I've seen, so I wanted to see how people who went that route dealt with the speed of those lenses.
05-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I've seen, so I wanted to see how people who went that route dealt with the speed of those lenses.
Well, you're either *serious* about speed - weight and cost - or not.

You can even go cheaper, super quick and heavy - Samyang 24mm f1.4, FA50 1.4 and Samyang 85mm f1.4.

The Limiteds are fantastic autofocus compromises. Remember that being Pentax, they're all stabilized - take that, Canikon!