Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
No matter what your kit your photography will always "rise" to the occasion.
The best evidence of that is how many photographers still go out with a SINGLE lens: be it 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, whatever.
Heck, I often go out with just my DA*60-250mm as a "walk around" lens! (needless to say, I avoid anything "wide")

The good thing about having a limited kit is that your eye will start to "see" better.
As such, I recommend to my students to avoid those "all around" superzooms (e.g. 18-300mm) precisely because they don't encourage you how to "see" (i.e. superzoom make you lazy).

Back in the film days I got around with a three lens kit on my Mamiya 7ii: 50mm, 80mm, 150mm. I never "needed" anything else, even though I would have loved a much longer and/or wider lens. In the end 90% of my images were taken with just the 50mm and 80mm -- that was the sweet spot for that gear.

So no, you are not only NOT crazy but on the right track: less is more.

Michael
Great response...
I'm trying to stick to primes for not only the IQ but for the learning experience.
As you say, I've found my photography getting lazy with even the 18-135 in use.

05-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why limit yourself to only 3 primes? Why not 20 or so?
05-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Or, simply sell the zoom, (no brainer), keep the 35, 135 and 300. Three lenses! Then add or change as need.
Something I have considered...
This is definitely the CHEAPEST option, lol.

I have always thought about the DFA100 as well. I'm not big into macro photography. I just got the 35mm limited through a trade and really came to love the focal length and the rendering of this particular lens.
I see it more as a "Very close minimal focus distance 35mm" than a dedicated "35mm macro" lens.

---------- Post added 05-06-16 at 01:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Why limit yourself to only 3 primes? Why not 20 or so?
haha that would stress me out!

most of my life I've had a mentality that if I needed to; I could pack my entire life into my car and go.
Sure, 20 prime lenses wouldn't take up much space in that car (Unless they include some 400/500mm teles)...

I'm getting married in a few weeks and my soon-to-be-wife and I are similar minded.
We are looking to buy a house and I no longer need to have the "car-pack" life.
However we still want to live pretty minimalist and I'm just coming to terms with my photography.
05-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like the person above me, I use a 15/40/70 or 77 kit often. I could see the 100 Macro taking the 3rd lens slot depending on planned shots etc. This has some nice math to back it up, 15 x4 ("40"), 40x3 ("100"), 100 x 3 (300). No large jumps perspective, each jumps 2.5-3x the former. You retain macro, your normal lens has short focus throw with little overshoot.

But, if you rarely think any shots from 35 (40) to 299 will be sorely missed them go for it.

05-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
No, a 3-4 prime kit is what I use. I don't miss zooms and have developed an attitude of little use for them, with exception of a 70-200 and 70-210 I take out occasioanlly. That's not to disparage zooms or anyone who uses them but I find they make me lazy in composition. I had gotten by on a FA31, FA50, FA77 kit for a while but added a DA15 (which I have replaced with FA*24 for K-1) and swapped the FA50 with the FA43. I have found this kit to cover everything I need more than well enough.

I think you need something like an FA50 or DA70 to cover the massive gap between the 35 and 300. The times when a mild to moderate telephoto is needed is often enough to justify having one in the bag; both those lenses are quite light and not burdensome to carry around. In portrait photography, I take about 88% of my images with the FA31 and use it more than 60% of the time for my travel photos (I keep stats on both!) so you can definitely get away with the DA35 almost all the time.
Thanks for the input!

I've considered the FA50, really might be leaning towards the DA70 though.

Maybe 4 primes isn't too much...

15/35/70/300

---------- Post added 05-06-16 at 01:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Like the person above me, I use a 15/40/70 or 77 kit often. I could see the 100 Macro taking the 3rd lens slot depending on planned shots etc. This has some nice math to back it up, 15 x4 ("40"), 40x3 ("100"), 100 x 3 (300). No large jumps perspective, each jumps 2.5-3x the former. You retain macro, your normal lens has short focus throw with little overshoot.

But, if you rarely think any shots from 35 (40) to 299 will be sorely missed them go for it.
I guess it's hard to say.
I've only been shooting about 18 months. I'm still new to photography...
I've found a love for wildlife though and can see this being my passion for years to come.

I wanted the 15ltd since my first K-30 and still have a general desire for a pocket-able limited lens with such a wide FOV.
05-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Thanks for the input!

I've considered the FA50, really might be leaning towards the DA70 though.

15/35/70/300
That would work also. I have carried that with the 35 swapped for the 40. My 300 is the FA* not DA*.I added raynox close up lenses to add macro without much weight.
05-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
^^ In theory I subscribe to this philosophy, but I like old lenses - so I own too many. Consequently I mentally group them and associate them with one of my (far too many) cameras. I take only three primes and a medium zoom when I go out.

FWIW, the HD 70/2.4 is a stupid good lens and has recently been on sale (silver) at 52% discount.
haha I'll have to keep that in mind!

That 70/2.4 is the closest I'll get to an FA77 without a serious reprimand from the soon-to-be-wife...

---------- Post added 05-06-16 at 01:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Food for thought:

If you have a need for a wide-field* macro... hey, you have a need for a wide-field macro.

I discovered my (work-related) need for a wide-field macro many years after I bought the DA40/2.8 Limited; if I didn't have it already, I wouldn't have bought it alongside the DA35/2.8

The 15/4 has the advantage that the slide-out hood works with 49mm front filters, if that's what you like to do; the next up, the DA21, does not (because of the bayonet-mount nature of its quirky square hood) - plus that really is too close to the 35. In my opinion, the DA15 is not a people lens - the widest I would use (and have used) for that is 21mm on APS-C. 15mm minimises people, and it's fine if you want sweeping pictures of a crowd; not so fine if you want the subjects to retain their individuality (and closing in to do that tends to bring distortion issues). Out in the wild, it's great; my limited experience suggests great things if it ever stops raining where I am!!

I have quite happily taken people pictures with the 35mm focal length, and I will probably Single with the 35mm macro in July.

So I can certainly support your case for having those two and the long-ish tele. But it's a big jump up from 35mm to the DA*300, and only YOUR current and intended patterns of use can justify that gap.

If you do NOT need the macro capability and just want the focal length, consider the DA35/2.4 plastic fantastic - which is what I would do right now if I had neither the 35 Macro nor the 40 Limited and didn't need the macro function.

If you want a short tele prime and can't afford the FA77, consider the DA70 (even the SMC version), especially since you've indicated you're happy to stay in APS-C lens world for now. I strongly considered the 77 for film body and future K-1 use, but the K-1 hadn't yet firmed up with regard to price, features and release date - and with almost equivalent staff reviews, the savings I made from choosing the 70 instead allowed me to squeak in another lens within my particular budget at that particular time. (Whether I have made a mistake in the long run can be debated; with what I knew at the time, the K-1 was a when-my-K-5-dies proposition that was looking a long way off and mega-expensive when it happened, so the expansion of my DA lens set was eminently justified.)

ETA: The four posts above this one came out while I was gathering my thoughts, which is why this post doesn't reference their advice at all.

* = wider than the 50 or 100, at any rate
Thank you for the well thought post.

I agree with the FA77 vs DA70 comment.
If I had the $$ I'd almost certainly buy the DA70 and out the extra cash toward a new tripod or even the 1.4xTC...

05-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can echo that the 70 is crazy nice. I have the 77 and while there are things it does that the 70 can't, I would never complain that the 70 was inferior to my shooting. It can take fantastic shots and is wonderful to have along.
05-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
if you spend so much time out in the wildlife i'd think the dfa 100mm f2.8 macro WR would be a good choice to fill the void. more reach than the 35 for interesting macros of stuff you find out there, WR for less than ideal weather, and at least some semblance to reach as well.
This could be a good gap filler...

I wish I could compare the DFA100 WR and the DA70 in hand...
05-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Unles you specifically need macro I'd recommend the 70. Macro lenses can be slow to focus and the 70 is so nice and compact.
Neither would be a mistake so let your preferences decide between bigger & slower with macro or smaller and faster without macro.

The only reason I got rid of my 70 is someone wanted to trade for a 77+cash and I want to see what all the fuss was about. The 70 is a great lens.
05-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #26
Pentaxian

15/35/70/300

---------- Post added 05-06-16 at 01:25 PM ----------

If you're intent on keeping the 300, I'd say a 4 lens kit makes more sense.
05-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I often just have a body and 2 or 3 primes so I don't think so. I own more stuff but I don't usually bring much of it.
Just the 15 and 40 is a nice tiny kit.
I added a DA 70 so I had 15/40/70 which was nice and have since swapped the 70 for the 77.
I have the 15/40/77 kit with me most days for whatever comes up.

I also have a 300 that is great when I need something that long but that is more the exception for me.
Right,
So the 300 is a given, that's always gonna be on my K-3ii when heading out (I say always, but I guess 90% of the time unless I'm not shooting wildlife).

It'd be nice to have a "pocket" kit like the 15/40.

Or even the 70 is pocket-able I think?
05-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both but my 70 is on loan to my dad. The DA 70 is tiny by comparison. A quick romp in the database reveals:

DA 70 is 2.5" x 1" and 4.6oz
DFA 100 is 2.6" x 3.2" and 12oz. The hood is also much more awkward to use by comparison.
Essentially the DA 70 is about 1/3 the size and weight of the DFA. This may be a major consideration given the 300mm portion of your kit.

They are both sharp. They are both well made. The DFA is more imposing and if you want to take portraits or candids of people who are camera shy the DFA may not work as it is louder and much longer (particularly with the hood on) - it is an imposing package when pointed towards someone. The DA 70 is on the other hand a tiny thing without a lot of focusing noise and never has a time when there is a massive focus miss with all that implies on a macro lens.

The DA 70 is less versatile but only in that it doesn't do macro. You can add some Raynox close up filters and try that - it helps fill the gap for flowers and such.
05-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just wanted to thank everyone for such great responses!

This is a great deal of help.
Now I just need to gather the funds and sell my current gear to pick up a 15 & 70
05-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just wanted to thank everyone for such great responses!

This is a great deal of help.
Now I just need to gather the funds and sell my current gear to pick up a 15 & 70
You will not regret either purchase.