Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
The idea of a 300mm as one's "normal lens" is a bit bizarre - - - but interesting. I have noticed that there is a Lens Club thread devoted to 300mm and bigger lenses, do you know it and, if so, do you find that idea of the 300mm normal lens has a home there? Somehow, to me, the larger than 300mm lenses wouldn't have that normal potential, but I've recently acquired a 300mm with a group of old screw mount lenses, and have realized that it is actually smaller and lighter weight than some zooms I have that go up to between 205 to 260mm. Unfortunately, it doesn't have any close-focusing ability, though it might be worth seeing what happens with a single 1+ diopter close-up lens on the front. I was thinking of selling it later in the year, but you fellows have me thinkin' !!!
I am a subscriber of said 300+mm thread...

I think my DA70 is my "Normal" lens. I know it's not what most consider a "normal" focal length, but for me I see through my DA70 as if I were walking around without my camera. Perhaps I have zoomed vision?!

But in all honesty, my DA*300 is my favorite lens. It RARELY leaves my K-3ii and I can't imagine life without it!

It is my go to lens, and not only because I love wildlife photography, though that's a huge part of it.
But mainly because I love the separation between fore/background. I love the silent AF. I love the weather sealing. I love the size and built quality.
However, I do not love the bokeh... It's a bit messy, but I learn to work with it.

---------- Post added 06-02-16 at 01:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Hah, I'm not alone!, come on 300 lovers, go out of the closet.
Btw, between crop an FF formats DA*300mm became a zoom lens, just switch cameras.
I'm obsessed with my DA*300mm on the K-3ii...
I don't think I'll ever switch camera systems as long as I have these two in my bag!

---------- Post added 06-02-16 at 01:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
Actually I feel the same way. I have other lenses for when I need them. But somehow I see the world at 300mm (450mm equiv.).

About a month ago I took my 300 off to put on my 15mm for a landscape shot.... literally at that moment a juvenile bald eagle flew over and I missed it (luckily I got the grown one behind it).... so sometimes its just not worth it to take it off
I know the feeling...

I literally was out in the marsh for 3 hours the other day without a single sign of animal life around me...
I took off the DA*300 and put the DA15 on (sound familiar?!).
Two seconds later an osprey dive bombing a catfish about 30 meters from me.
I panicked and almost dropped my entire rig in the brackish water! Thankfully I had my DIY paracord strap attached

I know better now:
NEVER remove the DA*300

Why do I have a DA15 and DA70 than?
Well, I guess there are some occasions when the DA*300 doesn't work. But not many!

06-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #122

This is what make us old pentaxians vomit!

Please think about our nerves!

Star DA300mm is just for me on special occasions taking the tuxedo on for a special shootings.

FA 50/1.7 is the normal way of living on FF....

OK - there are those also talking of a normal life with a 10mm - that's just the same disease - looking from the other end of the lens.
06-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gutta Perka Quote
This is what make us old pentaxians vomit!

Please think about our nerves!

Star DA300mm is just for me on special occasions taking the tuxedo on for a special shootings.

FA 50/1.7 is the normal way of living on FF....

OK - there are those also talking of a normal life with a 10mm - that's just the same disease - looking from the other end of the lens.
I thought the FA43 was the normal way of living on FF?

And to be fair here, I was introduced to Pentax when the cheapest, most efficient route to learning photography was through a DSLR.
I'm only 25 years old, sure I could have dove into the film cameras and tried to learn. Unfortunately I do not have the money or time for buying film and developing it just to learn about composition and exposure.

I bought a K-30 and a manual 50mm (+ various other lenses) and shot 25,000 frames in 12 months and have learned an INCREDIBLE amount from that camera and lens. I now shoot entirely manual (minus AF) and can "see" my photo before I ever lift the camera to my eye.

I also learned about my love for wildlife.
So the DA*300 is my "normal" lens today.
Sorry if you vomit; that's what Pedialyte is for...
06-02-2016, 11:34 AM   #124

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I thought the FA43 was the normal way of living on FF?

And to be fair here, I was introduced to Pentax when the cheapest, most efficient route to learning photography was through a DSLR.
I'm only 25 years old, sure I could have dove into the film cameras and tried to learn. Unfortunately I do not have the money or time for buying film and developing it just to learn about composition and exposure.

I bought a K-30 and a manual 50mm (+ various other lenses) and shot 25,000 frames in 12 months and have learned an INCREDIBLE amount from that camera and lens. I now shoot entirely manual (minus AF) and can "see" my photo before I ever lift the camera to my eye.

I also learned about my love for wildlife.
So the DA*300 is my "normal" lens today.
Sorry if you vomit; that's what Pedialyte is for...
I'm now over 70 years old - Spotmatic was my first buy into this 1972 - now I feel I did wrong - for the first time.

What the #¤% are doing!
What You bought is nothing of my interest...
If You bought a star DA300 and got crazy - stop buying pentax.

Better feeling fine on the fitness machine.

This is in a way how to approach the pentax way of living - not scaring people to death.
The normal is for sure exactly normal!!!

06-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My kit

My film kit was 4 lenses and there was little I couldn't do: 24, 50, 135, 200. A 300 would have been nice but I have never been a big user of long telephoto lenses. Right now with DSLR, I mainly carry my three DA Limiteds: 15, 35 and 70. I will use my 50 1.4 upon occasion and do have an 18-135 WR which is great for bad weather, my FA 20-35 for street photography, but the three Limiteds are great most of the time.

Last edited by jeverettfine; 06-03-2016 at 09:59 AM.
06-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gutta Perka Quote
I'm now over 70 years old - Spotmatic was my first buy into this 1972 - now I feel I did wrong - for the first time.

What the #¤% are doing!
What You bought is nothing of my interest...
If You bought a star DA300 and got crazy - stop buying pentax.

Better feeling fine on the fitness machine.

This is in a way how to approach the pentax way of living - not scaring people to death.
The normal is for sure exactly normal!!!
06-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #127

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
For sure I do not feel just now that I fit in the bouquet club.

In a way I never did!

Capa and Bresson did not even know that word.

Last edited by Gutta Perka; 06-02-2016 at 01:32 PM.
06-02-2016, 03:46 PM   #128
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My 3 lens kit...

Pentax DA 14 Superb Sharpness

Pentax FA 31 "Nuff said"

Pentax F*300 "It's an FA 31 in 300mm" end of story
06-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #129
Loyal Site Supporter

I nearly always have either a DA*200 or the D FA100WR on my KS2. If I could keep just one single lens and had to sell all the others? It's a no-brainer, the D FA100.
06-02-2016, 04:58 PM   #130
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

The light welcomes me,
three hundred millimeters,
what else could I need.
Longer than fourteen syllables, but still moving, UAD!
06-02-2016, 04:58 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Well tomorrow I'm heading out to a theme park with the grandkids and I have decided to take my new DA* 200mm on the K-3, and the 40mm XS on my K-5, one of the kids can use that 'on the green' and I can grab it if I have to (that combination is smaller and lighter than some of my lenses!). The 10-17? No, I think the 15mm Limited gets the vote!

I love my primes.
06-02-2016, 05:05 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Longer than fourteen syllables, but still moving, UAD!

Pretty sure I get 17 syllables...

06-02-2016, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #133
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty sure I get 17 syllables...
Oh, yeah, my bad, I'm confusing it for a classical sonnet that has 14 lines.

Apologies ... you're now my favourite Pentaxforums poet!
06-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #134
Pentaxian

I know I'm late to the party but my kit would be 15 ltd, DA 50 and 1.4 TC, to get to 70, the TC would also ad to your 300 for wildlife. Throw in the 100 macro and 21 ltd and it's a total kit in a small package, especially when you leave the 300 home. I especially like the part where the 100 macro would go to 140 with TC, making the gap before 300 manageable.
06-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I wondered if in fact you still used that lens since you acquired the Pentax 70-200. How does it look on the K-1 ?
I mostly use my DFA 150-450..... and keep the 300 for when I'm travelling or as part of a small prime kit with the K-1 (31, 43, 77 and 300). I reckon its still the best 300 made..... size, construction and IQ balance....... took it to Fiji last week...Nephews wedding....just from a seat a few rowes back....I wasn't the official photog..... so didn't take any real shots....you may kiss the bride..

---------- Post added 03-06-16 at 10:54 AM ----------

I'm pretty well much of the lens view that anything is almost possible if approached the right way.... but I do have two significantly different approaches that depend upon ....... if I need to get the shots for a 3rd party in an efficient way or alternatively, if it's all about me! Mostly I'm about me these days...(comes with age)

DA 10-17.... live dragon fly at 10mm

Also, I reckon with primes, there are situations that need a different prime attached in case of a sudden opportunity...... in the Country (Bush) you need the 300 locked and loaded for the sudden bird/animal thing.....with normally plenty of time to select a wider lens for a scene shot....... around town then a 28-50 ish locked and loaded to catch the quick thing..... etc

My 3 prime kit with the K-1 would be a 20, 43 and 300...... the 43 on the K-1 is an exceptional single lens compromise...... makes the K-1 feel one size smaller as well.

Last edited by noelpolar; 06-02-2016 at 06:52 PM.