05-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timautin Quote
I'm looking for a great IQ corner to corner
I'm also looking for something quite cheap
You do realize these two features are pretty much mutually exclusive?

The Pentax 15-30mm f/2.8 is an excellent choice for WA landscapes, however it is big, heavy, prone to sample variation well above what is common for pentax primes and commands a price tag far higher than the original Tamron lens.

05-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #17
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That could have been perfect, but I'm not happy at all with the FA* 24mm (huge CAs and really poor sharpness in corners, even on APS-C), and I'd like some advices to replace it.
It will be for landscaping, so I'm looking for a great IQ corner to corner (something like the DA 50), rather than for a bokeh monster. I'm also looking for something quite cheap (no more than 400€) and lightweight. A DA 24mm f/4 like the 35 & 50 would have been the one.
a clean copy of the sigma superwide II would be better for landscape shooting than any 24mm prime that pentax made, but it's not perfect in the field curvature department.

vivitar sold a couple of 24mm primes, 37xxxxxx serial numbers, one of which really sucks, but the version with the smaller diameter filter ring size has potential for budget ff landscape shooting.

here is a sample comparison, blow it up to 100%... this was a konica mount lens, but i bet that there are k-mount versions as well? don't be dissuaded by how the viv compares to the other two lenses, they are about as good as it gets for budget legacy landscape glass at the 24mm focal length.

when you need 24mm, nothing else will do.

24mm SLR prime lens test, fourth round, shot on the Sony a7R
05-13-2016, 09:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Samyang 24 is 1.4 not 2.8 - which makes it really interesting for night sky and manual focus with ease. I will get one one day too. Heard only good things about it
05-18-2016, 04:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I want a unicorn - to be more exact, a D-FA* 28mm f/1,4 WR IF pancake lens with superb performance from corner to corner for ~200$. Of course, I know unicorns unfortunately don't exist. However I do like the size of the DA35/2,4, DA50/1,8, FA31/1,8 and Voigtlander nokton 40/1,4, but I don't like the price of the FA31 or the Voigtlander, especially now as I'm saving up for K-1. I also prefer AF. Pentax doesn't have a lens that fits my unicorn wishes (yet) and I wonder if there is any fast AF wide angles from 3. parties that is both quite cheap and performs decently? I guess I can just start looking out for a second job to pay the 2000$ the dream lens would cost
View Picture EXIF
Name:  Pentax-K-mount-D-FA-lens-roadmap2.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  49.1 KB
, but I would like a 200$ lens in the meantime. Any suggestions?

08-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I want a unicorn - to be more exact, a D-FA* 28mm f/1,4 WR IF pancake lens with superb performance from corner to corner for ~200$. Of course, I know unicorns unfortunately don't exist. However I do like the size of the DA35/2,4, DA50/1,8, FA31/1,8 and Voigtlander nokton 40/1,4, but I don't like the price of the FA31 or the Voigtlander, especially now as I'm saving up for K-1. I also prefer AF. Pentax doesn't have a lens that fits my unicorn wishes (yet) and I wonder if there is any fast AF wide angles from 3. parties that is both quite cheap and performs decently? I guess I can just start looking out for a second job to pay the 2000$ the dream lens would cost
Attachment 310597
, but I would like a 200$ lens in the meantime. Any suggestions?
Plastic Fantastic

Cosina/Vivitar/... 20mm 3.5-4.5

Cosina 19-35mm AF f3.5-4.5 Lens Reviews - Cosina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I am to much used to my DA15Ltd and awaiting my Skopar 20mm. But it won't be (and neither my beloved DA15 is) perfectly sharp in the corners (wide open) and more than $200
If size would not matter I would look at the Cosina or clone of it.
Pictures I've seen look nice considering the money invested.