Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #1

Wow! Cheap thrills with a Tokina 600mm f8 (M42screw)

Wow!

Background story is I was looking for a birding lens beyond 400mm on the cheap and landed this guy:
Tokina 600mm f8
It's hardly manageable without a mount. Sample pics will be posted in a separate review in the database.

Anyway I just got my hands on this monstrosity last week and so far I'm pretty impressed at the cost vs performance.
As a hobbyist I can't be certain how much real practical use I'll get out of it but so far it's been delivering the goods so long as it's bright out.
I did even tried to take a peep at Jupiter but caught some inner reflections and couldn't make much out though maybe after a thorough cleaning...

Anywho IMO at $230 USD it was a steal.

My questions:

1. What are the two pins on the lower mounting bracket and what are the threaded points on the focuser?

2. It's got some specks visible in the finsihed images. Anyone know how to take this guy apart for cleaning?

Thanks and I'll link the review when it's posted.

John

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N910F  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-N910F  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-N910F  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-N910F  Photo 
05-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I almost got one of these last week for ~ 70 bucks equiv - winning bid was £39! But I've tried a few 500mm f8's and my conclusion is that f6-3/f6.9 on my vintage 400mm's is already difficult MF, the jump to f8 is for me almost impossible with an OVF (easier on an EVF) so my interest was only lukewarm. The tele tokinas by and large however are better than most so I would be v interested to see some pics.

Specks in your pics are almost certainly st on your sensor, not in the lens.

No idea what the spike is for. the threaded point(s) on the focus are for a lever to aid fine focus.

I know that two tripods/supports are recommended for lenses this long.
05-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
No idea what the spike is for.
Lightning arrestor and/or static dissipation.

Steve
05-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

(eureka moment) They're just parked there. unscrew and screw it into the focus for your fine focus lever!

Last edited by marcusBMG; 05-07-2016 at 03:23 PM.
05-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pointed one is for aiming, screws into the hole at rear of lens, should align with front site. Other is for focus as was mentioned.

Don't know about this lens but the tele tokina 800mm came apart in the center. You'd unscrew a circular nut and the lens would separate. Do a search about the Tele Tokina 800mm f8 lens, there's one or two articles out there.
05-09-2016, 12:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Specks in your pics are almost certainly st on your sensor, not in the lens.
These are both handheld and tripod shots... the manual in handheld mode is next to impossible and positively dangerous! I tried it anyway :|
I'll blast the sensor on the camera with some air and see if that solves the dust.
Thanks and I'm looking forward to sharing some birding shots next!

Sorry for some as this is a Flikr account I use sometimes

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56977565@N08/sets/72157668163430125

Reading your other comments and thanks for the info! \o/

Best to you all,
John
05-09-2016, 06:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good results IMO (now I'm sorry i didn't go after the one I bid on more in earnest).
Definitely use a blower on your sensor!
Otherwise Faststone is free image editor with good quick clone tool to fix on PC.