Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2016, 08:28 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Impressed with the DA 14

I recently acquired a DA 14 lens on eBay within a bundled purchase that also included a K-50 and a couple of kit lenses. Previous to this I had purchased a Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 but found that the outside corners were a bit too soft for my tastes even at F8 and beyond. I also noticed that the color cast was a bit yellowish compared to the Pentax DA 14. I know that many look down upon the DA 14 lens because of the larger size as compared to the DA 15, but honestly it's about the same size as my FA 31 and I don't hear too many complaining about it's size. In fact on a recent vacation I was easily able to switch back and forth between the FA 31 and the DA 14 which fit comfortably in my shorts cargo pocket.

I also find the 2.8 minimum focal length a bonus when it comes to taking indoor pictures. The following picture was taken at F4. So those who are on the fence between the DA 14 or DA 15 and want or need a faster lens for indoor shooting, I say look no further than the DA 14.

F4

F8

F9

05-10-2016, 12:30 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Looks like a decent lens to me. Nice images. I wouldn't worry about what other people think. If it works for you, that is all that counts. We all have our favourites, but there is no 1 choice that is right for everyone. If you having fun and taking great shots, nothing else matters.
05-10-2016, 01:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not many images around this site from this lens, be good to see some more from those who have this lens here and in the sample archive. I for one am thinking of getting this lens in a few months time. Something wide for a bit of fun and for interior shots.
05-10-2016, 02:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The airplane pic shows the strength of this lens, the details in the far corner are superbly visible.
I would not have gotten this lens unless it hadn't been on 50% discount. Now it's the one attached by default.
A hidden gem in the DA series, reviews do not give the credit it deserves.

Seb

05-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should also note that these pictures were minimally processed only using the free iPhoto program that's included with the EL Capitan iMac software. No fancy Adobe photo shop or light room for me
05-18-2016, 06:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The DA14 is probably the only lens I'll miss when shooting with the K-1. I don't really understand why is it so unpopular. Designed by the same genius as the FA limiteds, superb build quality, flawless lens IMO...
05-18-2016, 06:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
The DA14 is probably the only lens I'll miss when shooting with the K-1. I don't really understand why is it so unpopular. Designed by the same genius as the FA limiteds, superb build quality, flawless lens IMO...
I would get the 1.4x teleconverter if I had the K-1. Would make a decent 20mm lens.
Does anybody know if there is a 77mm front extender for this?

Wait, front extenders can't work on cropped lenses mounted on FF, or can it???

Seb
05-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I only have AF 1,7 TC, which turns DA14 into unimpressive 24mm lens. But I could give the new TC a try and see... That could be an option too.

05-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I recently acquired a DA 14 lens on eBay within a bundled purchase that also included a K-50 and a couple of kit lenses. Previous to this I had purchased a Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 but found that the outside corners were a bit too soft for my tastes even at F8 and beyond. I also noticed that the color cast was a bit yellowish compared to the Pentax DA 14. I know that many look down upon the DA 14 lens because of the larger size as compared to the DA 15, but honestly it's about the same size as my FA 31 and I don't hear too many complaining about it's size. In fact on a recent vacation I was easily able to switch back and forth between the FA 31 and the DA 14 which fit comfortably in my shorts cargo pocket.

If you don't like the soft corners in Sigma 10-20, for the kind of pictures you posted the DA 15 wouldn't work that well. It has a very strong field curvature that appears the corners to be soft in distant subjects. I have both 10-20 and the DA15 and I use 10-20 or 16-45 when I need flat focus plane, as those two have comparably sharp corners.
06-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still impressed by this lens.....