Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Why not? the DA* 60-250mm is 67mm. The original Pentax 24-90mm was 67mm. The F & FA 300mm f/4.5 were both 67mm. The Nikon 24-85mm (version 1 & 2) was 67mm. The current Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 is 67mm as are the Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 and NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G. In other words, 67mm is much more popular than many people are led to believe. And this is precisely because 67mm saves a huge amount in both size and weight (and cost) vs. 77mm.

If Pentax wants to be known for "small" this is the easiest way to distinguish yourself in a world awash with Ginormous "me too" zoom lenses.

Michael
It's feasible if they stick to a slow aperture in the proposed lens. But since Pentax already has a compact walkaround zoom for the K-1 (the 28-105), it would make sense for the premium version of it to have a fixed F4 aperture. And you won't get that with a 67mm filter

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
How to carry big lens system? not from the camera body anymore but using the lens tripod collar instead.
If I hold the K-1 body alone, without supporting the attached 70-200 with my hand or tripod, do you guys think the torque on the mount is too high? With a grip it would probably be comfortable enough. I found that I can talk on the phone and shoot one-handed already...

Do you carry a lens like this with a tripod collar even without a tripod, to serve as a handle?

A+
05-12-2016, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
If I hold the K-1 body alone, without supporting the attached 70-200 with my hand or tripod, do you guys think the torque on the mount is too high? With a grip it would probably be comfortable enough. I found that I can talk on the phone and shoot one-handed already...

Do you carry a lens like this with a tripod collar even without a tripod, to serve as a handle?

A+
I have my DFA 150-450 hanging off my K3 and now K-1....... I just use it..... with one hand I raise/swing the camera to eye level without supporting the lens etc...... also walk for many hours with a sling strap connected to the camera base ..... lens hanging off the body unsupported...... all no issue in the last 6 months......Sigma 70-200/2.8 etc before that.....

I have a sling eyelet on the lens tripod foot as well (tripod plate screwed in one hole, sling eyelet in the other).....when I want to use a shorter lens I shift the sling hook from the camera base to the lens foot eyelet, then rotate the camera off the lens, leaving the lens dangling by my side on the sling strap, grab say a FA31 from my pocket/belt pouch and put it on the camera and shoot away .......

Last edited by noelpolar; 05-12-2016 at 08:06 PM.
05-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #19
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think this is an unrealistic dream at all. Maybe Sigma will decide to make their 24-105mm available for Pentax!

Not sure if a 67mm is feasible these days, though.
We need to really petition Sigma to do it.. ironically, I asked today and received this response back (today -- quite prompt):

QuoteQuote:
We understand the Pentax users desire for such a lens but there really is such a low demand for Pentax K/AF mount lenses it may not happen. Presently there are no plans that I am aware of to manufacture such a lens in the Pentax K/AF lens mount. Sincerely,
Paul Pizzano
SIGMA Corporation of America

I responded back mentioning the K-1 and how fantastic it is and that the market should grow (and Pentax doesn't show any inclination of 24-105mm f/4)... hopefully if enough of us email them asking for it, they'll get the hint and really turn the wheels that makes it happen.

05-12-2016, 09:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

My Tamron 70-200 is a bit smaller, but I carry it frequently. I use a BlackRapid strap, and connect it to the tripod mount of the lens. I have an extra one of the little screw eyelets (Fastenr?) that's on the body for when I have a smaller lens on, or sometimes if I'm using the 70-200 and something else without a bag, I just leave the 70-200 on the BlackRapid, and use my camera without strap while I have my smaller lens on.
05-12-2016, 10:44 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
We need to really petition Sigma to do it.. ironically, I asked today and received this response back (today -- quite prompt):
Maybe it could be crowdfunded. I wonder how many pledges they'd need to do a production run!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I don't think that's a technical or market problem. Several years ago, Pentax market share was almost the same, but Sigma has a lot of lenses with K mount. Now, Pentax has a perspective to grow, not necessarily with the sales of K-1, but by the attention this camera brings all over the net, much bigger than any time before.

Maybe is a problem of relation with Ricoh, because Sigma has begin to discontinue a number of lenses with K mount at about the same time when Ricoh purchase Pentax. But this is only an assumption.

Anyway, if is not a big problem for Sigma, it is also not one they can ignore for a long term, Also, in my view, Ricoh cannot say that is not an issue for them. not on short, not on long term. Looking how slow new - own design - lenses are launched by Pentax (is not slow in absolut term, but regarding the wishes of users, it is), and also the prices, the fact that Pentax users cannot use some good and affordable lenses from Sigma is a problem which will affect camera sales. And in this times, when markets are going down, even 5% counts, for everybody.

Ups. That was for another thread.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 05-13-2016 at 01:18 PM.
05-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But since Pentax already has a compact walkaround zoom for the K-1 (the 28-105), it would make sense for the premium version of it to have a fixed F4 aperture.
The problems with said lens are twofold:
  • too slow at the long end
  • not wide enough

Besides, most camera makers offer overlapping "choices" in lenses owing to satisfying different use-cases. To wit: 18-55mm vs, 16-50mm vs. 18-70mm vs. 16-85mm and so on.

Not only has Pentax made such a lens in the past (i.e. the classic 24-90mm w/67mm filter) but such a reintroduction would not "compete" with the new 28-105mm as it addresses a different use case. And yes, I would gladly pay more for an updated 24-90mm than the 28-105mm.

Michael
05-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #24
Imp
Pentaxian

And you won't get that with a 67mm filter
The A 35-105 f/3.5 has a 67mm filter...
05-13-2016, 02:53 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
This has been discussed before, but the size of the A7 + 70-200 f/2.8 isn't much different to the K-1 + 70-200. Most of the size is in the lens, in this instance (the A7 is lighter, of course)... The Fuji system, I can't comment on...
That's clear. Most people don't use a 70-200 f2.8 . A large number of people use a camera to photograph scenery family and friends for when they are on vacation so they dont use long lenses and have a mirrorless cam in their bag that they can pull out anytime. This is where fuji and sony grabed their share and this share of market isnt small.
05-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #26
mee
Veteran Member

Maybe it could be crowdfunded. I wonder how many pledges they'd need to do a production run!
They responded to my response now:

" Possibly but the K1 and Pentax will need to demonstrate some increase in market share before other manufacturers will start supporting the brand."
05-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
They responded to my response now:

" Possibly but the K1 and Pentax will need to demonstrate some increase in market share before other manufacturers will start supporting the brand."
Sigma said this?

Adam

05-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Lomography only wanted fifty...
05-13-2016, 11:17 PM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Lomography only wanted fifty...
Yeah but they got 2500 more from non-Pentax users

That's a pretty impressive figure, actually.

Hope to have the lens in December!

Adam

05-13-2016, 11:49 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
As a DFA 150-450 shooter, I reckon the 70-200 is a girlie lens.....
I resemble that remark.

I carried the DFA*70-200 every day all last month, including on cross-country runs. I had the K-3 on a Black Rapid sling strap, and while running I supported the lens with my right hand around the barrel. No stress on the mount that I could detect.

And the image quality? Oh my sweet Lord. I still haven't used it on the K-1 though; I must amend that....