Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
My 18-35 has been fine.

I'm curious though. With Sigma coming forward with all these announcements, does this indicate they are taking greater interest in the K mount again? Could they be working towards repairing relationships with consumers who have been aware of problems for years? Interesting. It feels like a shift in the weather if nothing else.
Possible but some Pentax users also shoot with Canon and Nikon as well. Also, they have friends who shoot with those brands. If someone who has never owned a Sigma lens hears from a friend "Yeah, it didn't work with my new camera and they refused to do anything about it," they may shy away from Sigma all together. Just the story on the internet can cast doubt in some potential buyers' minds.

So it could be just trying to make sure people don't lose faith in the EF and F mounts.

05-16-2016, 01:43 AM   #17

I have a few comments about some of the previous posts in this thread:

- This is NOT a cheap zoom, it is the most expensive of the Sigma 70-300 lenses. It has got SLD glass (according to the text on the box).
- I have this lens. Bought it in Feb. 2012 for 3421 Swedish crowns. The cheap Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 AGO DG Macro zoom can be bought today for 1890 Swedish crowns.
- This lens has been discontinued by Sigma years ago.
- This lens can be found in the Lens review section. Look under Sigma Legacy lenses. Not sure if the reviews there are really for the OS version or for the cheap version.
- I have had my share of problems with this lens. The first copy I got did not autofocus at all, so I got a replacement.
- I really like this lens. I used it at birding trip to Florida and used it extensively when my DA*300 was too long to use on the board walks and got really good results.
05-16-2016, 05:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I don't think that's a technical or market problem. Several years ago, Pentax market share was almost the same, but Sigma has a lot of lenses with K mount. Now, Pentax has a perspective to grow, not necessarily with the sales of K-1, but by the attention this camera brings all over the net, much bigger than any time before.

Maybe is a problem of relation with Ricoh, because Sigma has begin to discontinue a number of lenses with K mount at about the same time when Ricoh purchase Pentax. But this is only an assumption.

Anyway, if is not a big problem for Sigma, it is also not one they can ignore for a long term, Also, in my view, Ricoh cannot say that is not an issue for them. not on short, not on long term. Looking how slow new - own design - lenses are launched by Pentax (is not slow in absolut term, but regarding the wishes of users, it is), and also the prices, the fact that Pentax users cannot use some good and affordable lenses from Sigma is a problem which will affect camera sales. And in this times, when markets are going down, even 5% counts, for everybody.
Just to say few years ago market share for Pentax was more like 7-8%, it dropped to 4-5% and I think now even less.

What more? The sales are declining for the whole market, so this compound. While Pentax may appear to only sell half of what they sold before, it may indeed be more like 4 time, because it not only their slice of the cake that is smaller, but the whole cake that shrink.

As for sigma, this is is a small company, they have to make money and sure that Pentax doesn't help them. I think that for Pentax you have to make very small batches and wait quite a long time for everything to be sold. If you look about it. Sigma still has made new lenses for Pentax 18-35, 30 f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4 too, the 18-300. Tamron is not even trying anymore except if it is rebranded as Pentax.

Also both sigma and tamron changed their strategy. they focus more and more on advanced complex lenses and that mean fewer sales at a higher price. If you apply that to Pentax K-mount, the market so small that it might not be worth it...

I am sure that if the market share rise, sigma and tamron will try to make more lenses for K-mount. But now the low market share + Pentax doing all they can to prevent other manufacturing lenses on their mount doesn't help.