Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 11:32 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Sigma admits problems: 70-300mm OS lens incapable of LV autofocus

There have been many user complaints about issues with the Sigma 70-300/4-5,6 DG OS lens, one of the cheapest budget lenses.
They all focussed on the lens not being able to properly autofocus in liveview.
And many buyers wasted their time and money in sending the lenses in to Sigma Service to repair them, but the repaired failed.

Now Sigma support emailed their official statement on the quality issue the lens has at least on the K-3:
https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-...3D1&edit-text=
QuoteQuote:
This lens is in LiveView on the Pentax K3 not compatible.
So beware of this fault, if you consider this lens.

05-12-2016, 11:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good thing it's the cheapest lens, not the most expensive one Perhaps it's not possible to update the lens firmware to the extend necessary?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-13-2016, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

This would seem to put the K-1 mount fiasco in a different light. After this, the K-1 business and the AF issues with the 18-35/1.8 "Art" lens, how much more will it take before any Pentaxian will never trust Sigma again. Their fix had better be prompt and effective.

Man, I am so glad you guys saved me from the 18-35 Art lens. Of course you've probably cost me twice as much in LBA since, but at least all that stuff works.

Last edited by pathdoc; 05-13-2016 at 03:44 AM. Reason: clarified meaning
05-13-2016, 04:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That link is pretty much unusable on my iPad.

05-13-2016, 05:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
That link is pretty much unusable on my iPad.
How about this? Google Übersetzer
05-13-2016, 06:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My 18-35 has been fine.

I'm curious though. With Sigma coming forward with all these announcements, does this indicate they are taking greater interest in the K mount again? Could they be working towards repairing relationships with consumers who have been aware of problems for years? Interesting. It feels like a shift in the weather if nothing else.
05-13-2016, 06:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sigma 85mm 1.4, Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 & Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8

I have the Sigma 85mm 1.4, Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 & the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. I tested all 3 last night on my new K-1. On mine, the 85mm f/1.4 fits with no problem and no scratch either per Sigma press release. The 10-20mm & 18-35mm both fit with no problem. In FF mode the 10-20 has the vignette from 10mm to 14mm. The 18-35mm has vignette 18 to 24mm.

I won't be buying any lens for some time, but I'm interested in what type of fix they are going to do.

05-13-2016, 06:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
how much more will it take before any Pentaxian will never trust Sigma again. Their fix had better be prompt and effective.
I'll take the Vegas odds on that happening. As things stand, yes it takes a lot of courage for a corporation to admit to a product being unable to operate as advertised - But the evidence is mounting that Sigma can't produce K mount lenses without several caveats on how well they will function with newer K-mount camera bodies.

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
It feels like a shift in the weather if nothing else.
Sigma is going to throw in the towel and just say, designing AF lenses for K mount that work properly out of the box without a band-aid fix is too hard. Goodbye, thanks for all the fish.
05-13-2016, 06:56 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Sigma is going to throw in the towel and just say, designing AF lenses for K mount that work properly out of the box without a band-aid fix is too hard. Goodbye, thanks for all the fish.
That is patently obvious.

As will be the reaction of those who use Sigma lenses on Pentax cameras.
05-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Tamron, on the other hand...
05-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Tamron, on the other hand...
... are clapping their hands happily and enthusiastically!
05-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't think that's a technical or market problem. Several years ago, Pentax market share was almost the same, but Sigma has a lot of lenses with K mount. Now, Pentax has a perspective to grow, not necessarily with the sales of K-1, but by the attention this camera brings all over the net, much bigger than any time before.

Maybe is a problem of relation with Ricoh, because Sigma has begin to discontinue a number of lenses with K mount at about the same time when Ricoh purchase Pentax. But this is only an assumption.

Anyway, if is not a big problem for Sigma, it is also not one they can ignore for a long term, Also, in my view, Ricoh cannot say that is not an issue for them. not on short, not on long term. Looking how slow new - own design - lenses are launched by Pentax (is not slow in absolut term, but regarding the wishes of users, it is), and also the prices, the fact that Pentax users cannot use some good and affordable lenses from Sigma is a problem which will affect camera sales. And in this times, when markets are going down, even 5% counts, for everybody.
05-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sigma has posted an update:
"We have found that some SIGMA interchangeable lenses for Pentax mount could leave a small scratch on part of the camera body when they are attached to the PENTAX K-1, released by RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. on April 28th, 2016. In this circumstance, please do not use the following lenses for Pentax mount on the PENTAX K-1.
We are planning to provide a repair service for this issue. We will make a further announcement on our website when specific details, such as the service period, are finalized.
In addition, please also refer to the usage notice related to this announcement below.

Phenomenon
When some SIGMA interchangeable lenses for Pentax mount are attached to the PENTAX K-1, the upper part of the mount can be scratched.
※This phenomenon is due to the interference with the shape of the upper part of the mount on the PENTAX K-1 camera body and it does not occur to any cameras other than PENTAX K-1.

Applicable products:

Current Line-Up
  • 30mm F1.4 DC HSM| Art
  • 35mm F1.4 DG HSM| Art
  • APO 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM

Discontinued Lenses
  • 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
  • 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
  • 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM
  • APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
  • APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM
  • APO 50-150mm F2.8 II EX DC HSM
  • APO 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM
  • APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM

Usage Notice for customers who are using Pentax mount SIGMA lenses on a PENTAX K-1
In some cases, depending on the lenses to be attached on the camera, the angle-of-view cannot be recognized automatically. Please select an angle-of-view that is appropriate for the lenses to be attached from “Crop” in the camera’s menu.

When DG lenses are attached, please select “FF”.
When DC lenses are attached, please select “APS-C”.

We appreciate your continued support for our company and products."

So the problem doesn't lie with the Mount as such, but the shape of the Pentaprism housing above the mount. No mention of the date affected lenses will be attended to, or the cost of servicing the affected lenses.
05-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTom Quote
How about this? Google Übersetzer
No good on the iPad but both links work on the desktop (using Chrome on both).

I shall have to check if my Sigma 70-300 DG Macro (not OS) is affected. (Interestingly, this lens isn't listed in the PF lens database).
05-14-2016, 05:53 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Sigma has posted an update:
"We have found that some SIGMA interchangeable lenses for Pentax mount could leave a small scratch on part of the camera body when they are attached to the PENTAX K-1, released by RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. on April 28th, 2016. In this circumstance, please do not use the following lenses for Pentax mount on the PENTAX K-1.
We are planning to provide a repair service for this issue. We will make a further announcement on our website when specific details, such as the service period, are finalized.
In addition, please also refer to the usage notice related to this announcement below.

Phenomenon
When some SIGMA interchangeable lenses for Pentax mount are attached to the PENTAX K-1, the upper part of the mount can be scratched.
※This phenomenon is due to the interference with the shape of the upper part of the mount on the PENTAX K-1 camera body and it does not occur to any cameras other than PENTAX K-1.

Applicable products:

Current Line-Up
  • 30mm F1.4 DC HSM| Art
  • 35mm F1.4 DG HSM| Art
  • APO 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM

Discontinued Lenses
  • 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
  • 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
  • 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM
  • APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
  • APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM
  • APO 50-150mm F2.8 II EX DC HSM
  • APO 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM
  • APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM

Usage Notice for customers who are using Pentax mount SIGMA lenses on a PENTAX K-1
In some cases, depending on the lenses to be attached on the camera, the angle-of-view cannot be recognized automatically. Please select an angle-of-view that is appropriate for the lenses to be attached from “Crop” in the camera’s menu.

When DG lenses are attached, please select “FF”.
When DC lenses are attached, please select “APS-C”.

We appreciate your continued support for our company and products."

So the problem doesn't lie with the Mount as such, but the shape of the Pentaprism housing above the mount. No mention of the date affected lenses will be attended to, or the cost of servicing the affected lenses.
The announcement doesn't address the lock-up issues some have had unless those lenses perhaps are touching the prism housing and pushing their contacts into a position that is intermittent and this then causes the lock-up behavior.