Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2016, 04:14 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Anyone tried the Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art on the K-3II?

Ive been wanting for some time to replace most of my cheap primes with a quality prime lens and was looking at some of the Ltds but ended up buying the Sigma 35mm f1.4 since i found a great deal on a new one. hopefully i made the right move since its not a cheap lens by any means. Anyone tried it on the K-3II?

05-13-2016, 04:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
Ive been wanting for some time to replace most of my cheap primes with a quality prime lens and was looking at some of the Ltds but ended up buying the Sigma 35mm f1.4 since i found a great deal on a new one. hopefully i made the right move since its not a cheap lens by any means. Anyone tried it on the K-3II?
I will very soon and will share some images asap. It wasn't quite a toss up with the FA31mm, coz I didn't have the readies. I'm hoping the extra bulk and weight won't get on my nerves.
05-13-2016, 04:44 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Fan-tastic lens on the K-30 that I'll be using on the K-1.

05-13-2016, 05:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have it on the K-3. It's a very sharp lens, and optically great.

My only gripes are:
(a) it's large, heavy and not at all discreet;
(b) the AF has been very inconsistent on my K-3. As in 'shoot the exact same target 5 times, 2 shots will miss focus'. It's a nuisance.

05-13-2016, 05:03 AM   #5
Inactive Account

My most used lens on K3!
05-13-2016, 06:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Fan-tastic lens on the K-30 that I'll be using on the K-1.
Unfortunately, Sigma recommend against using it on the K1.
05-13-2016, 06:12 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I've already put it on and taken test shots without problem, Paul. ☺

05-13-2016, 06:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens might scratch the camera a little due to the slightly bigger mount. I think Sigma is dressing the issue and will soon give some sort of repairs, modification kit. There is PF front page post about this and also a big thread, since Sigma issued a warning regarding using certain lenses on the new K-1.
They might cause a scratch, and they might slightly push the mount. Just so you know, do as you wish

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yep, check out that announcement. And here is the discussion about this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/320805-sigma-announcement-...ens-issue.html
You might want to skip some pages ahead to the latest news
05-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have it on second K-3 and it is amazing. Do not have any issues with missfocusing. Excellent sharpness.
05-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I've already put it on and taken test shots without problem, Paul. ☺
I don't think I would take the risk. It's not so much the mark on the body; it's the stress placed on the mount by having the lens wedged against the body. I'll wait to see the "fix" that Sigma is promising.
05-15-2016, 10:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
I will very soon and will share some images asap. It wasn't quite a toss up with the FA31mm, coz I didn't have the readies. I'm hoping the extra bulk and weight won't get on my nerves.

Here is my very first shot. Wide open and hand held. My desk isn't the most interesting place but I think the shot is worth a share. The blue things are file boxes, not fringing.

Yep, it's chunky but about the same as my Sigma 70mm macro, which I frequently use as a walk around lens. The FA 43mm will probably stay my go to lens when I'm doing serious walking and want to go as light as possible. Otherwise I can see this lens getting pretty frequent use, particularly when I want quiet AF.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-15-2016, 10:42 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
interesting shot.
mine came as well and I agree, it is quite chunky but it feels great on the K-3II with the grip. didnt get a chance to test it properly but from a few quick shots, the AF is ever so silent and fast and was surprised by the sharpness even at f1.4. From f4 onwards, I think its my sharpest lens to date. Still want to check if it misses focus occasionally as reported by a few. Will post a few pics when I get the chance.
05-17-2016, 04:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
Here is my very first shot. Wide open and hand held. My desk isn't the most interesting place but I think the shot is worth a share. The blue things are file boxes, not fringing.

Yep, it's chunky but about the same as my Sigma 70mm macro, which I frequently use as a walk around lens. The FA 43mm will probably stay my go to lens when I'm doing serious walking and want to go as light as possible. Otherwise I can see this lens getting pretty frequent use, particularly when I want quiet AF.
OK, I have only gone from my messy desk to my messy coffee table but I cleared the kittens off it and plonked a souvenir donkey (I think from Greece) on it.

Here's the K3ii, Sigma 35mm F1.4 combo with a pixel shift shot from around about minimum focus distance.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-17-2016, 10:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A few quick ones taken on Sunday.