Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
Inactive Account

DA 55-300 questions

Hi,

I started shooting with my new DA 55-300 a few days ago but I can't get those crisp and colorful images you guys are posting.

I have an IST*DS so can't crop much and I am trying not to use a tripod so I need to keep the F stops high and the aperture low to avoid the shaking.

I tried using the EV+ 2.0 and the Auto bracketing EV+ 4.0 to take the F up to + 250 but to no avail (I've tried with the TV, M and landscape modes).

What steps can I take now? Tripod, shooting at high noon to get maximum ligth new camera with IS?

Thanks,

Jessy

07-14-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

welcome jessy
if you're trying to handhold, the rule is 1 / 35mm equivalent focal length

so at 300mm out, your shutter speed should be around 1/500 (~ 1 / 300 x 1.5) to hold steady (and no IS on your ist). outdoors, this type of exposure should be easy to obtain. if you want to set the fastest shutter speed, go to Av mode, and set the f-number to the lowest and bump up the ISO to 800

i'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with the EV, increasing EV will decrease the shutter speed
07-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I was almost sure the EV changed the setting of the CCD like the ISO. Then I need to keep the ISO up and the F also.
07-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IST*Jessy Quote
I was almost sure the EV changed the setting of the CCD like the ISO. Then I need to keep the ISO up and the F also.
Positive EV tells the camera to overexpose. It will try to overexpose by leaving the shutter open for longer. You use it when your subject is darker than the surroundings.

I don't know if the *ist has the same annoying feature as the K100D, but if it does, the auto ISO will default to ISO 200 when you use EV with Auto ISO, further increasing shutter times. I've been using Spot Meter instead of EV compensation when my the subject is dark, that way I can leave the ISO on Auto.

07-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried with a tripod? Or resting the camera on something stable? If it's still blurry that way, try the 2 second timer with mirror lockup if your camera has it. Do everything to make sure the camera's not moving.

I'm thinking for this test, use Tv mode, auto everything else, set it for 1/500.

If the images are still blurry, you'll need to start blaming the camera/lens.
07-15-2008, 06:43 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deuces Quote
Have you tried with a tripod? Or resting the camera on something stable? If it's still blurry that way, try the 2 second timer with mirror lockup if your camera has it. Do everything to make sure the camera's not moving.

I'm thinking for this test, use Tv mode, auto everything else, set it for 1/500.

If the images are still blurry, you'll need to start blaming the camera/lens.
The lens is OK and I do have a tripod. I am just trying to push the limits of my camera and this lens.

What I know:

1) Shooting with a wide aperture to let more light in.
2) Using a high ISO ... but not to high to have fewer grains
3) Using a fast F stop to counter shake
4) Having a good position for a stable shoot
5) Shooting in continuous drive 3 to 5 shoots and picking the pictures in the middle
6) Going out on a bright day

What I would like to know:

1) Using the EV.
2) Using the different spot metering settings
3) Using other custom setting for the jpegs (contrast, brightness, etc.)
4) Using some custom settings in the C menu of the DS with the last firmware.

Also, is it possible to edit the OK button setting to do someting else? Mabe change the ISO or the metering settings? The options in the last firmware (None, Center AF, AV shift and TV shift (Manual), stop AF and start AF) are not realy useful.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jessy
07-15-2008, 06:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't see what there is to say about Ev comp that I have not explained over at DPR. What exactly confuses you about the EV comp?
07-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Never mind the EV then, mabe someone on this forum had a diffrent point of view on using it with a telephoto lens.

07-15-2008, 07:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Post some samples with EXIF data. We are only speculating here and pictures would help a lot. It is possible that you got a bad copy of the lens or maybe the problem can be corrected with camera settings.
07-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Never mind the EV then, mabe someone on this forum had a diffrent point of view on using it with a telephoto lens.

Just to confirm, it makes no difference what lens you're using, it is a camera function.

The manual explains the metwering modes, the in camera JPEG fine tuning (contrast/brightness etc) is all pretty striaghtforward but they do ntio apply to RAW.
07-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What I would like to know:

1) Using the EV.
2) Using the different spot metering settings
3) Using other custom setting for the jpegs (contrast, brightness, etc.)
4) Using some custom settings in the C menu of the DS with the last firmware.

Also, is it possible to edit the OK button setting to do someting else? Mabe change the ISO or the metering settings? The options in the last firmware (None, Center AF, AV shift and TV shift (Manual), stop AF and start AF) are not realy useful.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jessy
2. read the manual
3. adjust it to something that you like, check out dpreview of the camera because they do try each setting
4. which ones...

your last question, the answer is no, the options are in the C menu
07-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #12

Let's face it - f5.8 at 300 mm demands long exposure. Either use a tripod, or repair underexposed images digitally.

Best regards,
Alex
07-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, you don't use a "faster F stop" to counteract shake. You mean shutter speed ( I hope).