Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #16

Can't say I've used the Zeiss (reviews say it's mediocre, for a Zeiss).

I've borrowed my friend's 77, and have the 85. The 85 is a bit easier to isolate subjects with, but other than that they both have amazing colour. The 85s are all much larger than the 77 if size is a concern.

I would not choose the Zeiss in any circumstance since it's more expensive than the 77 and seemingly not as good as the Pentax 85s (opinion), and between a Pentax 85 or 77, it would be up to cost/functionality, but not quality.

I really loved using the 77 on a trip last summer (see "Tofino" in my flickr).

07-16-2008, 01:48 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
really nice pictures, good color rendition

comparing the max aperture, is there a big difference between f/1.4 and f/1.8 in terms of indoor use/ low light? I've heard the 85mm is very good wide open, what is your experience with the 77mm? thanks
07-16-2008, 05:05 AM   #18

Thanks! Despite what people may have gathered from photozone, I have seen no evidence of soft corners with the 77. However, I didn't use it very much and when I did, I usually stopped down a tad mostly because of too much light.

The 85 is excellent in low light, but just be careful to avoid purple fringing. The 77 does this too. If I had the choice, I'd use F/1.8 or F/2 on the 85 and F/2.8 on the 77 to really get a technically perfect shot (of course the rest would be up to you!)
07-16-2008, 06:00 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Inghard Quote
comparing the max aperture, is there a big difference between f/1.4 and f/1.8 in terms of indoor use/ low light?
Well, that is two-thirds of a stop which could matter in extreme cases. But you have to ask yourself what sort of DOF do you want/need? With the 77mm wide open your DOF is about 50% larger than with the 85mm. This can help if you want to be in focus, especially in low light situations where you have to go manual focus for accuracy.

07-16-2008, 09:13 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks to both of you, I get the impression they're both excellent lenses! The gut feeling says FA*85mm because of the focal length, and the max aperture. But price and finding a quality sample is an issue too. I could buy 2x 77mm for the price of one 85mm! (or some other cool camera gear)
once again, thanks
07-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Inghard, you might be able to rent a 77mm lens to see if it suits your needs. If not, you'll still have your capital to plunk down on the 85mm and use the 77 until it arrives.
07-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

if money is not a big concern, get the 85 over the 77 for the single reason of owning an F1.4 lens

07-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
if money is not a big concern, get the 85 over the 77 for the single reason of owning an F1.4 lens

hahaha - bokeh convert! (me too )

07-16-2008, 11:19 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too much lens on too little camera?

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
pirate! (so weird calling you "pirate", hehe)

what camera was used to test the lens?

reason i asked the OP what camera he has is that if its a K100D i doubt he will tell between all 3 of them since all the lenses overshadow the sensor by more than a good margin

now, the K20D, ohh geeze.
I'm new enough to be surprised by this. Can I infer from this that there is no real cost-benefit at the K100 level for these expensive high IQ lenses? If I'm reading too much into your comment, my apologies, but I have had the thought bumping around in the back of my mind for a while now that a couple of thousand worth of prime lenses may be overkill on the K100. Would a good all around zoom (the 16-45 or the like) then really be a better fit for the entry level Pentax, and an entry level photographer?
FHPhotog
07-17-2008, 04:23 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
I'm new enough to be surprised by this. Can I infer from this that there is no real cost-benefit at the K100 level for these expensive high IQ lenses? If I'm reading too much into your comment, my apologies, but I have had the thought bumping around in the back of my mind for a while now that a couple of thousand worth of prime lenses may be overkill on the K100. Would a good all around zoom (the 16-45 or the like) then really be a better fit for the entry level Pentax, and an entry level photographer?
FHPhotog
I think, you are a bit overinterpreting this notion. You will benefit from any of the mentioned lenses at least through the wide aperture, which you cannot achieve with your (good) zoom lens. Also, some technical aspects are (nearly) always better with prime lenses, than with zooms (at least distortion). So "even" your K100 will benefit - as do your photographs. What was meant, that the difference BETWEEN those three lenses (Pentax 85, 77 or Zeiss 85) might be be less visible.

But sooner or later you will have a camers with higher resolution - and then the lenses will still show their qualities. Lenses will usually be used much longer, than the camera body.

Ben
07-17-2008, 09:59 AM   #26

I have only 6MP bodies and even differences between good lenses are pretty easy to see. I'm sure it could only be easier as you increase the resolution.
07-18-2008, 01:07 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
btw, I've ordered the 85mm, looking forward to it.
07-18-2008, 01:20 AM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Inghard Quote
btw, I've ordered the 85mm, looking forward to it.
Cool, perhaps we can compare notes
07-28-2008, 05:49 AM   #29
Forum Member

I purchased a Nokton SLII 58/1.4 last weekend and had time to use it... oh the build quality, the feeling and the handling of this lens is so great ! I had already the Voigtlander 180/4 which I also like a lot... now I would maybe like to get Zeiss lens and I have always "dream" of using a 85/1.4.

I'm currently in Japan for the summer (that's why I could find a Nokton in a store !) and I might have enough money left at the end of my trip for the Zeiss 85/1.4. The "problem" is that I already own a FA 77 Ltd (which I love a lot for portraits and flowers) and I'm not sure if the Zeiss would different enough to justify buying it... hard decision to take... !
07-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by David07 Quote
I purchased a Nokton SLII 58/1.4 last weekend and had time to use it... oh the build quality, the feeling and the handling of this lens is so great ! I had already the Voigtlander 180/4 which I also like a lot... now I would maybe like to get Zeiss lens and I have always "dream" of using a 85/1.4.

I'm currently in Japan for the summer (that's why I could find a Nokton in a store !) and I might have enough money left at the end of my trip for the Zeiss 85/1.4. The "problem" is that I already own a FA 77 Ltd (which I love a lot for portraits and flowers) and I'm not sure if the Zeiss would different enough to justify buying it... hard decision to take... !
As you say, you may be able to try it first given your location. Take a few test shots for us mortals down here on lens earth, heh. See if they'll let you stick your head out the door and snap a few quick ones with the 85, then try afterward on the same subject with your 77 and see what gives.

I'm bored at work at the moment, go to a camera shop today and take the pics!