Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2016, 08:54 AM   #1

Would like your opinion on what I should sell

Hello:

I'd really appreciate your opinions on what to do here. I have two cameras, and older Pentax K100D, (which still takes very good pictures) and a newer Pentax K5 II. Over the years I have accumulated quite a bit of glass. I feel like I should sell some of it, but I really don't know what I should sell. I know a lot of it overlaps with other lenses that I have and I would love to get some cash for some of the overlapping lenses.

First of all I mainly shoot landscapes and portraits. I like the versatility of zooms, but crave the IQ of primes. I guess you could say I have expensive tastes but don't have the money to support it. I want to eventually upgrade to the K3 II and am hoping the price will drop further in the future so I can have two main bodies, the K5 II and K3II. I'm not unhappy with the K5 II at all - it has been a great camera. For that matter, I have been very happy with the K100D and am still astonished as to how good the photos are from it. I know I can't get much money for it, so I just keep it around and may hand it down to one of my grandchildren some day as a starter DSLR.

Here is an inventory of the glass I own:

Pentax DA 18-55 (Bought with My K100D)
Pentax DA 50-200 (Bought with my K100D)
Tamron 18-200 (Bought with my K100D to eliminate the switching of the top two lenses - have not used it much)

Tamron 17-50 F2.8 (Bought for my K5II because of the excellent reviews and IQ- I got a very good price on it from Japan)
Sigma 10-20 EX (Purchased for K5 II - haven't used it much but it has come in handy for indoor room shots, hoping to use it more for landscapes.)
Ricoh 50mm 2.0 (Was purchased with my old film camera - hardly ever use it)
Also have an older film Sigma 18-200 and a Tokina A zoom lens packed in storage somewhere.

Pentax 18-135mm WR (My most used lens due to it's versatility)
Pentax 50-300 WR (Haven't used it a whole lot, but love the IQ from this lens and know I will be using it more in the future)

Pentax DA 35 2.4 (Purchased due to it's prime IQ - very inexpensive)
Pentax DA 40 2.8 (Got a great deal on it and couldn't resist the small size)
Pentax DA 50 1.8 (Same as above)

Pentax DFA 100mm Macro WR (Just ordered it as I want to get into more macro work - I am also interested in portraits with this lens)

Had I had it to do all over again, I would have probably concentrated my funds on fewer lenses and the limiteds.

I really don't use the K100D much and thought about selling it with the two zooms for it, but I doubt I would get much for it and it is probably worth more to me to just keep it as it is in mint condition with very low shutter count.

I have also thought about selling the Tamron 18-200, but again, the lens is so cheap, it's probably just not worth selling.

I know what I am asking here is very subjective, but would like your opinion on what you would do if you shoot like me and had the gear I have.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by digitaleagle12; 05-18-2016 at 01:12 PM.
05-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it was for myself, I would keep:
Tamron 17-50 F2.8 (Bought for my K5II because of the excellent reviews and IQ- I got a very good price on it from Japan)
Pentax 50-300 WR (Haven't used it a whole lot, but love the IQ from this lens and know I will be using it more in the future)
Pentax DFA 100mm Macro WR

and sell everything else. Both the 17-50mm and 18-135mm will give you flexibility in their own range, with the 17-50 delivering higher IQ over a narrower range of focal length, but lacking WR compared to the 18-135mm.

I would suggest to invest in high quality prime lenses. I recommend to consider the DA Limited 'pancakes' series and the FA Limited series (the 3 amigos), which all deliver (very) impressive results. The DA*55mm and DA*300mm are two other lenses worth to think about.

Ultimately, you may wish to think of what you shoot, and plan a lens roadmap. Currently you do not have any high-quality prime lenses. I would recommend to go in that direction to complement your present lime-up.

My 5 cents, hoping that it will help.
05-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would sell the 18-55, 50-200, both 18-200's, Ricoh 50, and tokina a.

Personally I'd be also tempted to consider getting rid of the 17-50 and 10-20 as well. You say that the 18-135 is your most used lens, so does that mean the tamron 17-50 isn't used often? Is it worth keeping it if it sees little use? I've recently decided to get rid of an 8-16 sigma, and 12-24 Pentax. The main reason is admittedly the K-1, but to be honest I always preferred the DA15 ltd. The zooms were just too bulky for me to want to hike somewhere that I'd actually want to use them - where as the DA15 fitted that gap perfectly. Besides - the DA15 outperformed both of them!

So if it were me, I'd have a drastic sell off, sell the k5ii, buy a DA15, and put the rest of the money towards a K-3. (And possibly upgrade the DA35 to the limited version, or the DA50 to a DA*55 or FA43).
05-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good luck selling the 18-55, I have a pair for sale and not even a nibble. Most folks who want a cheaper lens have already bought it because it's, well, cheap.

05-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

In my opinion, sell anything you haven't used in 6 months, unless you have a planned purpose for keeping it, e.g. you only use a particular lens when you go on vacation and you only go on vacation once a year.

I understand where you are coming from. I have just upgraded from the K100D to the K3 and I'm debating over keeping the K100D or not. I have sentimental attachment to everything I buy, and I when selling, I tend to think "Well if I can't get $x for it, I may as well keep it!" But the fact remains that if you aren't going to use it, it's not worth anything to you. Better to be a few dollars closer to getting nicer lenses, like the ones mentioned by others.
05-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote

This is a good start. But check prices. Even if an item is only going to sell for $25 they add up. Keeping the k100d and a lens or two for it gives you backup. Sell or keep based Sale price vs utility to you.
05-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by digitaleagle12 Quote
Pentax DA 18-55 (Bought with My K100D)
Pentax DA 50-200 (Bought with my K100D)
Tamron 18-200 (Bought with my K100D to eliminate the switching of the top two lenses - have not used it much)
Also have an older film Sigma 18-200 and a Tokina A zoom lens packed in storage somewhere.
Sell all of the above, except maybe one superzoom or the 18-55 to go with your K100D.

Sigma 10-20 EX (Purchased for K5 II - haven't used it much but it has come in handy for indoor room shots, hoping to use it more for landscapes.)
Ricoh 50mm 2.0
Pentax DA 50 1.8
Keep everything above, as long as you use it.
05-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If those were my lenses, here's what I would try to sell and why:

18-55: Redundant because of your better 17-50 and 18-135.
50-200: Outdone by your 50-300, in terms of range and IQ.
18-200: Not used much, and the 18-135 covers most of that range.
Ricoh 50mm: Your DA 50 is a superior lens.

The above lenses won't bring much on the used market, but some money in your pocket is better than a never-used lens on a shelf (unless you are a collector).

05-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote

and sell everything else. Both the 17-50mm and 18-135mm will give you flexibility in their own range, with the 17-50 delivering higher IQ over a narrower range of focal length, but lacking WR compared to the 18-135mm.

I would suggest to invest in high quality prime lenses. I recommend to consider the DA Limited 'pancakes' series and the FA Limited series (the 3 amigos), which all deliver (very) impressive results. The DA*55mm and DA*300mm are two other lenses worth to think about.

Ultimately, you may wish to think of what you shoot, and plan a lens roadmap. Currently you do not have any high-quality prime lenses. I would recommend to go in that direction to complement your present lime-up.

My 5 cents, hoping that it will help.
Great advice - I failed to mention that I also own the DA 40mm pancake lens. I was thinking along the same lines as you here. Thank you very much.

---------- Post added 05-18-16 at 04:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
I would sell the 18-55, 50-200, both 18-200's, Ricoh 50, and tokina a.

Personally I'd be also tempted to consider getting rid of the 17-50 and 10-20 as well. You say that the 18-135 is your most used lens, so does that mean the tamron 17-50 isn't used often? Is it worth keeping it if it sees little use? I've recently decided to get rid of an 8-16 sigma, and 12-24 Pentax. The main reason is admittedly the K-1, but to be honest I always preferred the DA15 ltd. The zooms were just too bulky for me to want to hike somewhere that I'd actually want to use them - where as the DA15 fitted that gap perfectly. Besides - the DA15 outperformed both of them!

So if it were me, I'd have a drastic sell off, sell the k5ii, buy a DA15, and put the rest of the money towards a K-3. (And possibly upgrade the DA35 to the limited version, or the DA50 to a DA*55 or FA43).
Actually I just purchased the Tamron 17-50 based on the good reviews. I.E. it is supposed to be a sharper lens than the 18-135wr.

I really haven't had a chance to use it much, but the little shooting I have done with it, I'm quite impressed with it's sharpness. I think it has better IQ than the Pentax 18-135mm WR but isn't as versatile.

---------- Post added 05-18-16 at 04:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tncowdaddy Quote
In my opinion, sell anything you haven't used in 6 months, unless you have a planned purpose for keeping it, e.g. you only use a particular lens when you go on vacation and you only go on vacation once a year.

I understand where you are coming from. I have just upgraded from the K100D to the K3 and I'm debating over keeping the K100D or not. I have sentimental attachment to everything I buy, and I when selling, I tend to think "Well if I can't get $x for it, I may as well keep it!" But the fact remains that if you aren't going to use it, it's not worth anything to you. Better to be a few dollars closer to getting nicer lenses, like the ones mentioned by others.
That's a good point. I have taken some amazing photos with the K100D, which proves that megapixels isn't everything for image quality. The 6mp sensor in that camera was very good. It's just hard to justify selling something when you will only get pennies on the dollar for it.

---------- Post added 05-18-16 at 04:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Sell all of the above, except maybe one superzoom or the 18-55 to go with your K100D.

Keep everything above, as long as you use it.
Either that or Option B would be to see how much money I could get for the K100D with the 18-55 and the 55-200 lenses and then sell the Tamron 18-200 separately. Put the money towards a K3 II and use the K5 II as a second body.
05-18-2016, 05:38 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Good luck selling the 18-55, I have a pair for sale and not even a nibble. Most folks who want a cheaper lens have already bought it because it's, well, cheap.
Yes, I agree with you. I think you are better off packaging the lens with an older DSLR and trying to see it that way instead.

---------- Post added 05-18-16 at 08:42 PM ----------

Thanks everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it as it has helped me sort out what I want to do.

This is a great forum and resource for information.