Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Hd wr da 16-85 on the k-1?

Im counting down the months till i am finally able to play with a k-1, but was curious on how the da 16-85 will work on the k-1.

Any one try the k-1 with this lens?

Is this lens strictly a crop lens, or at which focal point will it work on full frame?

Any info will be great. Thank you in advance

05-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's a crop lens, and I doubt it will perform well on the K-1.
05-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Im counting down the months till i am finally able to play with a k-1, but was curious on how the da 16-85 will work on the k-1.

Is this lens strictly a crop lens, or at which focal point will it work on full frame?
Imagine a circle touching the middle-left and middle-right of the sensor. (The circle goes beyond the middle-top and middle-bottom of the sensor).

That, roughly, identifies the boundary of the image at all focal lengths. Beyond that appears black. The quality probably drops off near that circle.

It will work in Crop Mode on the K-1, of course. It should also be usable over a rectangle narrower but taller than the APS-C boundary. But mostly it would make sense to use it in Crop Mode.
05-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A number of Pentax "crop lenses" are perfectly useable on FF, including the DA40, DA70, and even the DA 55-300. So I'm not going to jump to conclusions about the 16-85. I too am very interested to actually see it's coverage.

05-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a 16-85. It would be nice if it did cover a majority of the K-1 FF mode image gathering. It is nice that it can be used in the aps-c mode.
05-18-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Imagine a circle touching the middle-left and middle-right of the sensor. (The circle goes beyond the middle-top and middle-bottom of the sensor).

That, roughly, identifies the boundary of the image at all focal lengths. Beyond that appears black. The quality probably drops off near that circle.

It will work in Crop Mode on the K-1, of course. It should also be usable over a rectangle narrower but taller than the APS-C boundary. But mostly it would make sense to use it in Crop Mode.

I'm looking for someone who has tried the lens on the camera, and can give an idea what they have found. The da* 55 is a crop lens but from what everyone is saying, it's usable for a ff lens.
05-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm looking for someone who has tried the lens on the camera, and can give an idea what they have found. The da* 55 is a crop lens but from what everyone is saying, it's usable for a ff lens.
I understand that you want some real results, it looks like for now we will have to wait. But I will just note that the chance of a DA prime working on FF is much larger than that of a DA zoom working, because many of the primes are based on FF designs. E.g. the DA* 200 f/2.8 and DA* 300 f/4 work flawlessly, because they are essentially FA lenses in a new coat. The same may be true for the DA* 55 f/1.4. But to my knowledge there is no DA zoom that is based on a FF design.

05-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Any info will be great. Thank you in advance

It will work in crop mode, just be prepared to throw away 21 Mp or so.

Almost no DA zoom or DA wide angle prime will give the coverage you want in FF mode.

The new D FA 28-105 is an analogue of your DA 16-85 on APS-C.
05-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I understand that you want some real results, it looks like for now we will have to wait. But I will just note that the chance of a DA prime working on FF is much larger than that of a DA zoom working, because many of the primes are based on FF designs. E.g. the DA* 200 f/2.8 and DA* 300 f/4 work flawlessly, because they are essentially FA lenses in a new coat. The same may be true for the DA* 55 f/1.4. But to my knowledge there is no DA zoom that is based on a FF design.

Its understandable. Im hoping that a good portion will function though between the 30-85 range with minimal vignetting. Its one of my favorite lenses i like to use.
05-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have access to an old film body? Just looking through the viewfinder should give you a rough idea.
Personally, I think it is very unlikely to be a useful lens on full frame.
05-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Grab the 28-105mm. It'll become your new favorite

There will be an article on the homepage comparing all DA lenses kn the K-1, so stay tuned for that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Do you have access to an old film body? Just looking through the viewfinder should give you a rough idea.
Personally, I think it is very unlikely to be a useful lens on full frame.

Unfortunately not with a k mount, only film bodies i own are canon and olympus.
05-18-2016, 07:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 28-105 is only about 19mm APS-C equivalent at the wide end. I would really miss the 16 from the 16-85 (not to mention the DA 15 Ltd).

To me, a moderately priced reasonably compact wide angle (equivalent to 15 or 16mm on APS-C) is the big gap in the current Pentax FF arsenal. The D FA 15-30 is not a carry-everywhere lens.
05-18-2016, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I remember tomorrow, I'll try the 16~85 on K1 in FF mode and post a couple images here.
05-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Grab the 28-105mm. It'll become your new favorite

There will be an article on the homepage comparing all DA lenses kn the K-1, so stay tuned for that.

Oh nice, ill be looking forward to the article.

Its sooo tempting to start changing completely over to full frame. Im trying to resist the urge, haha. Somehow i keep on hearing the line "resistance is futile" from a movie i watched the other day.

---------- Post added 05-18-16 at 07:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
If I remember tomorrow, I'll try the 16~85 on K1 in FF mode and post a couple images here.

That will be awesome