Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've owned 3 FA Limited lenses. All were purchased used. One was really beat up.

I've found that my Pentax FA Limited lenses were all well made and none had any QC issues at all. Also, they are so well designed and built that with normal wear, they'll likely last for generations.

I'd have no issues buying a "used" FA Limited lens from a reputable seller.

05-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I would buy depending on the budget and local market at the time.
Does a store have a good price and a special discount? Is there a good copy available on used market in your area at a decent price?
Are there expenses coming on, or tax returns?

Buying used is not a big risk if you do it through a reputable channel or if you have a chance to test the lens. And when you buy used, you should put aside some money into the "repairs and maintenance" fund.

Edit: MiJ vs. MiV thing is up to personal choice. If you are the kind of person that values the Japan label so much, then you will have to pay for it. Will the IQ be significantly better? Probably not. It depends on the person how much they value that, and you know yourself better than anyone. I personally probably wouldn't give that much value

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-19-2016 at 02:23 PM.
05-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #18

I bought a used 43 and love it! Saving a few hundred made it an even better deal. Could care less about where it's built--still made to Pentax specs.
05-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Not that I subscribe to the belief, but there is a tale that goes around, saying the FA 43mm LTD original design used leaded glass in one/some of the elements. At some point (higher serial numbers), the glass content was changed to reduce or eliminate the lead. Therefore, the early, low serial number, MIJ versions are said to have a different characteristic due to the slightly different properties.

I suppose if some people believe that makes a big difference, then they'd subscribe to the MIJ thing. But in this case, more than MIJ, it is the lower serial number that is the goal for those seekers.

A couple sources for the story: Limited silver editions has better optical quality than black ones?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/195386-fa-4...ch-better.html
Seems like a made up story to me...and absolutely not a stitch of proof within those two shared threads.

05-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had two copies of the FA43, both MIJ. The black one was a later model, and the silver one has a serial number in the low 2000's

I sold the black one for a number of reasons:

The silver one looked sexier
It was *slightly* better wide open
The focus ring had a *slightly* better feel to it
There was a definite colour difference in the glass, which made me think there might be something to the stories.

The black one was still a superb lens. An album of images from it (when I was still on the very steep part of the digital learning curve) is HERE
05-20-2016, 03:27 AM   #21
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
Well, what everyone ^^ said while I was writing my reply haha. Everyone just stated exactly what I was trying to express, in a much more concise way, and with more clarity. Communicating is hard.
Perhaps, but I felt that your very first sentence covered the issue pretty well
05-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seanix Quote
Right now, the price of a used MIJ 43 vs. price of a new 43 is basically the same (at least in Canada, with the exchange rate the way it is). In some cases the used copies are actually more expensive.

Am I over thinking this? Should I just buy a new copy, or hold out until a used MIJ comes available for less? Seems like used copies of this lens might be in high demand over the next few months/years...
You could also check your local camera stores used section. (Kerrisdale Cameras in Victoria)

I found my used FA43/1.9 in the window of the main Kerrisdale Camera store in Vancouver, when I was just walking by. It was a boxed mint MIJ low S/N, with all the original papers and brown pouch. Also a great price and less than a new one, one of the better used lens purchases that I have made!

Phil.

05-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

MIJ or wherever, if the quality control is the same it shouldn't make a difference where it is made.

good luck!

Randy
05-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by seanix Quote
Right now, the price of a used MIJ 43 vs. price of a new 43 is basically the same (at least in Canada, with the exchange rate the way it is). In some cases the used copies are actually more expensive.
If the price is the same buy new - at least you get a warranty and the warm-fuzzies of being the firsr owner. MIJ is marketing drivel.