Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Best rear converter for Pentax-A* 200mm f2.8 ??

I need some advice people. I just received my long sought after SMC Pentax-A* 200mm f2.8 ED in great condition. And I would like to buy a rear/tele converter for when I occasionally need a bit more reach. I prefer one that supports automatic aperture, with minimal image degradation and one that is suited for FF as well (you never know . Primarily for this lens but if possible for my other A and M lenses as well(but less important). I Have been looking at the

Pentax Rear Converter-A 1.4x-S
Pentax Rear Converter-A 1.4x-L
Pentax Rear Converter-A 2x-S
Pentax Rear Converter-A 2x-L
Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4

And left out the SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter because I’m not planning to use AF with this lens or have no need for a AF conversion off my MF lenses.

I just don’t know which one will give the best result in combination with the 200. Or maybe I am overlooking a better option. Which one would you recommend.

Arno.

05-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Carpon Quote
I need some advice people. I just received my long sought after SMC Pentax-A* 200mm f2.8 ED in great condition. And I would like to buy a rear/tele converter for when I occasionally need a bit more reach. I prefer one that supports automatic aperture, with minimal image degradation and one that is suited for FF as well (you never know . Primarily for this lens but if possible for my other A and M lenses as well(but less important). I Have been looking at the

Pentax Rear Converter-A 1.4x-S
Pentax Rear Converter-A 1.4x-L
Pentax Rear Converter-A 2x-S
Pentax Rear Converter-A 2x-L
Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4

And left out the SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter because I’m not planning to use AF with this lens or have no need for a AF conversion off my MF lenses.

I just don’t know which one will give the best result in combination with the 200. Or maybe I am overlooking a better option. Which one would you recommend.

Arno.
The L versions are made for that lens (that series), but the newest Pentax 1.4x HD is probably just as good (maybe better) and more useful on other lenses (the Ls will only fit a select few lenses). For a 2x, the L is probably your best option. If you're on a budget, the Tamron 1.4x prices have come way down. KEH regularly sells it for only $50-$60 these days...
05-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm fairly sure the L converters will fit not due to the position of the rear element. If I remember correctly, I once tried to mount the 1.4x with no luck. Could go back and check if nobody else can confirm/deny.

In any case, I'd recommend either of the A-series 'S' teleconverters. The DA 1.4x will likely also work well, though I haven't tested it yet on the K-1.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

oooh, he's right -- the L versions don't work on the A*200. (I've used them on the A*300/2.8 & A*600/5.6.) Too bad. Makes your choices a bit simpler (and cheaper) though...

05-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the A1.4x-S. Makes a 280 and -1 stop.
05-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for your reactions. And I was afraid off that L version would not work. The budget has been diminished after buying this beauty but prepared to save and wait for the best suited one. So maybe I better look deeper into the HD DA 1.4x if it will work on the (my hopefully future) K-1. Thanks again for helping me shortening the list.

---------- Post added 05-19-16 at 08:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I use the A1.4x-S. Makes a 280 and -1 stop.
I can live with the loss off 1 f-stop but is the IQ loss acceptable with this combination?
05-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 1.4 does not materially degrade IQ. I can post a few w/ & w/o when I get back home Sun. If it will help.

05-19-2016, 10:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I'm remembering correctly the "L" versions work on A*300 F2.8 and longer only. The A*300 F4 (and shorter) need the "S" version. Has to do with the distance of the rear element from the bayonet mount.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm fairly sure the L converters will fit not due to the position of the rear element. If I remember correctly, I once tried to mount the 1.4x with no luck. Could go back and check if nobody else can confirm/deny.
05-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The 1.4 does not materially degrade IQ. I can post a few w/ & w/o when I get back home Sun. If it will help.
Would be off great help, thank you so much.
05-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would be off great help, thank you so much.
Will be Monday or Tuesday.
05-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Best rear converter for Pentax-A* 200mm f2.8
Either the Pentax Rear Converter-A 1.4x-S or Pentax Rear Converter-A 2x-S, but I still only use them as a last resort, when longer glass is not available or I get caught out on a job.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-20-2016 at 01:36 PM.
05-21-2016, 03:12 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Either the Pentax Rear Converter-A 1.4x-S or Pentax Rear Converter-A 2x-S, but I still only use them as a last resort, when longer glass is not available or I get caught out on a job.
Thank you for your reply and that is also my intention, I don’t think I will use it much but good to have with you.