Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 121 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2019, 05:33 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Maybe a list of 'conversion able' camerabodies should be added in the first post?

01-13-2019, 06:17 AM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by labidas Quote
In conclusion, the bodies that support SDM->screwdrive conversion in DEBUG mode are: K5, K5II, K01, K10, K100D, K200, K7, Kx.
I was not able to convert with my K-01 (FW v.1.04) - managed by borrowing a friends K-5 IIs that was OK
01-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #153
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote
Plus the K110, KM, KR, K200, K20, K2000
And the k100d super.
01-16-2019, 08:02 AM   #154
Forum Member

basically all modern Pentax SLR cameras before 2012 + K5II/s.

01-16-2019, 05:55 PM - 2 Likes   #155

QuoteOriginally posted by labidas Quote
basically all modern Pentax SLR cameras before 2012 + K5II/s.
And after the istD series.
02-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #156

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
And the k100d super.
UncleVanya earlier in the thread (like 3 years ago earlier ) you mentioned you had instructions to use the K100d super? I have tried quite a few methods to access the debug menu with no luck so far. I was wondering and hoping you might share that information? I would greatly appreciate it as I purchased this camera specifically to convert my 16-50. Thanks in advance
02-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #157
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BeginningwithN Quote
UncleVanya earlier in the thread (like 3 years ago earlier ) you mentioned you had instructions to use the K100d super? I have tried quite a few methods to access the debug menu with no luck so far. I was wondering and hoping you might share that information? I would greatly appreciate it as I purchased this camera specifically to convert my 16-50. Thanks in advance
Have you been able to get into the menu at all? If not review the instructions:

[DEBUG_MODE EN]
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

Save the txt file, then change the name to MODSET.459. Confirm you want to change the extension when prompted.

Now move this file onto the root directory of your SD card (I used an old 128mb card for this kind of stuff).

Place the card in your camera. While pressing the menu button, and with the card door open, turn on the camera. The top deck LCD will flick on then off. Turn the camer off, close the card door , and turn it on again.

You are now in debug mode. Mostly looks the same. Press menu, right arrow over to the set up menu. A the bottom of the set up menu you will now see options that weren't there before. One of them is AF TEST. Select it and right arrow. Don't mess with the AF AREA, arrow down to the Fous Cirrection and adjust. To fix back focus, you want to slide right, positive. Vice versa for front focus, slider to the left. I did 50 to start and ended up at+80.

To get out of the debug mode, turn off the camera, take out the SD card. Replace the contents of the card with the following:

[DEBUG_MODE DIS]
[CLOSE_DEBUG_MENU]

Put the card with the new command script back in the camera and with the card door open, hold menu button down and turn on camera. It will flash the LCD like before and go off.

You're done! Replace card with normal one and happy shooting with your finely tuned camera!
Originally posted at 3:24PM, 6 July 2013 CST (permalink)
_rudeboy_ edited this topic 68 months ago.

(Taken from: https://www.flickr.com/groups/k100dsuper/discuss/72157634519171510/)

Then once the debug menu pops up - hit menu - this takes you to menu 2, then follow these directions:

Here is what seems to work best:
1A: Put an SD card (prefer blank but any with space will work) in the slot
1B: DO NOT CLOSE THE SD CARD DOOR (This may vary with method try both ways)
2: Turn on camera.
3: You now enter the debug mode
4: Press MENU once
5: Close the SD card slot door.
6: Select LENS EEPROM R/W and PRESS OK
7: Select LENS EEPROM STORE
8: Camera will say, "WAIT" and then returns to step 3.
9: Power down check SD card to ensure a file called LENSEEP.LNS file was written.
10: MAKE A BACKUP - I tend to use lens name & serial number
THIS IS LENS COPY SPECIFIC - ONLY YOUR FILE WORKS WITH YOUR LENS!
11: Use an editor to make the changes listed in the forum threads to convert to screwdrive.
12: Back to Step 1 until you reach STEP 7. Then...
13: Select LENS EEPROM R/W
14: Select LENS EEPROM LOAD
Cross your fingers...
Save a copy before and after one named LensID_SerialNum_LENSEEP_BadSDM.LNS and one named ..._ScrewDrive.LNS - this allows you to convert back should you get it repaired.

Then change the code "C0" by "80" in the column 03 for every instance.

When you are done repeat steps 1

02-05-2019, 01:47 PM   #158
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

[DEBUG_MODE EN]
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

Save the txt file, then change the name to MODSET.459. Confirm you want to change the extension when prompted.

Now move this file onto the root directory of your SD card (I used an old 128mb card for this kind of stuff).

Place the card in your camera. While pressing the menu button, and with the card door open, turn on the camera. The top deck LCD will flick on then off. Turn the camer off, close the card door , and turn it on again.

You are now in debug mode. Mostly looks the same. Press menu, right arrow over to the set up menu. A the bottom of the set up menu you will now see options that weren't there before. One of them is AF TEST. Select it and right arrow. Don't mess with the AF AREA, arrow down to the Fous Cirrection and adjust. To fix back focus, you want to slide right, positive. Vice versa for front focus, slider to the left. I did 50 to start and ended up at+80.

To get out of the debug mode, turn off the camera, take out the SD card. Replace the contents of the card with the following:

[DEBUG_MODE DIS]
[CLOSE_DEBUG_MENU]

Put the card with the new command script back in the camera and with the card door open, hold menu button down and turn on camera. It will flash the LCD like before and go off.

You're done! Replace card with normal one and happy shooting with your finely tuned camera!

(Taken from: K100d Super debug menu | Pentax K100D Super | Flickr)

Then once the debug menu pops up - hit menu - this takes you to menu 2, then follow these directions:

9: Power down check SD card to ensure a file called LENSEEP.LNS file was written.
11: Use an editor to make the changes listed in the forum threads to convert to screwdrive.
Cross your fingers...
Save a copy before and after one named LensID_SerialNum_LENSEEP_BadSDM.LNS and one named ..._ScrewDrive.LNS - this allows you to convert back should you get it repaired.

Gosh, more than a few things that could go wrong in the process... My suggestion? Let Uncle do it!

BTW thanks for such a fast turnaround on my 50-135 @Uncle Vanya. It's back home safe and sound, and seemingly better than ever. It's even faster to focus now that it was when new.

Last edited by gatorguy; 02-05-2019 at 02:10 PM.
02-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #159
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

[DEBUG_MODE EN]
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

[DEBUG_MODE DIS]
[CLOSE_DEBUG_MENU]

Cross your fingers...

02-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #160

[DEBUG_MODE EN]
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

[DEBUG_MODE DIS]
[CLOSE_DEBUG_MENU]

Cross your fingers...

Thanks for the incredibly fast reply! I haven't been able to get into debug mode as of yet. I did realize the glaring error which was I hadn't properly changed the file name, but now that I have it still won't open debug. Parent language couldn't affect this, could it? I hope not as my Japanese is a little rusty. Just to verify the file name should be MODSET.459 no period at the end or anything I'm not seeing? I will play with it for a while longer, if I don't have any luck you might have another lens heading your way
02-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #161

I was able to convert it, it only took half the day lol. Thanks for your help UncleVanya
I ended up having to use pktether to put it into debug mode, (even though its not a 'supported camera' ) and in order to get into the debug master menu I had to turn on camera while simultaneously holding AE-L and INFO, the firmware showed up in a different colour so I knew I was onto something. Then pressed Menu twice and Info once, and there I was at last. The rest of the steps are the same, I have no idea why this specific K100d Super works that way, but I'm glad it finally did. My lens is focusing like its supposed to, albeit a little bit noiser. Thanks again, I hope my struggle can help someone else now lol
02-05-2019, 08:20 PM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was able to convert it, it only took half the day lol. Thanks for your help UncleVanya
I ended up having to use pktether to put it into debug mode, (even though its not a 'supported camera' ) and in order to get into the debug master menu I had to turn on camera while simultaneously holding AE-L and INFO, the firmware showed up in a different colour so I knew I was onto something. Then pressed Menu twice and Info once, and there I was at last. The rest of the steps are the same, I have no idea why this specific K100d Super works that way, but I'm glad it finally did. My lens is focusing like its supposed to, albeit a little bit noiser. Thanks again, I hope my struggle can help someone else now lol
Is it a k100d rather than a k100d super? The super uses the file the non super uses the menu only. No files needed.

---------- Post added 02-05-19 at 10:26 PM ----------

And congrats!
02-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #163

Is it a k100d rather than a k100d super? The super uses the file the non super uses the menu only. No files needed.

---------- Post added 02-05-19 at 10:26 PM ----------

And congrats!
It's a K100d super, I must have not made the text file properly or something, although I was able to get into the debug menu on my K3 and K50. Either way I have a fully functional snappy lens so I'm happy. Hopefully my 50-135 and 300 stay alive and I don't have to switch them over as well. The screwdrive certainly makes some noise
02-07-2019, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a K100d super, I must have not made the text file properly or something, although I was able to get into the debug menu on my K3 and K50. Either way I have a fully functional snappy lens so I'm happy. Hopefully my 50-135 and 300 stay alive and I don't have to switch them over as well. The screwdrive certainly makes some noise

LOL - my own experience is that the DA* lenses are not nearly as noisy as the non DA*'s even when screwdrive converted. The seals and mass seem to keep the volume down compared to say a DA 55-300...

So glad to have been able to help.
02-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #165
JVi

Just converted my DA 300 4 to screw drive using a K5 and PK Tether which I've used since 2011 or so (I did all the updates until Tomasz abandoned the project in 2012 at v 0.7.0).
The SDM did work just fine and I wanted to see how screw drive performed.
SDM focus is silent. Screw drive focus is noisier, as expected but I will stick with it. Love the lens.
Great instructions here; thanks.