Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2021, 11:10 AM   #226
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,621
Any luck converting a 50-135 to screw drive on a K-70?

03-18-2021, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #227
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,910
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Any luck converting a 50-135 to screw drive on a K-70?
As far as I know that doesnít work. Starting with the k-50; maybe the k-30(?) the newer cameras are not capable of doing the conversion.
03-18-2021, 06:29 PM   #228
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,621
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
As far as I know that doesn’t work. Starting with the k-50; maybe the k-30(?) the newer cameras are not capable of doing the conversion.
My misunderstanding was that the profile was adhered to the camera and not the lens. My understanding now is that once the lens is converted, it will work on screw drive on any camera.
Thanks again for your help!
03-18-2021, 09:45 PM - 2 Likes   #229
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,910
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
My misunderstanding was that the profile was adhered to the camera and not the lens. My understanding now is that once the lens is converted, it will work on screw drive on any camera.
Thanks again for your help!
No worries glad to help.

03-20-2021, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 40
A big thank you to everybody on here for posting so much information about doing the conversion back to screwdrive. Here in the UK I managed to buy a 50-135 on eBay at decent price and surprise surprise it was fully working and a later model after the earlier problems had been largely sorted. However you could not describe the AF as quick and I was curious how much quicker and accurate the screwdrive would be.
I bought a K-m with 9000 shutter actuations and looking like new but with autofocus a mile out and have today done both the drive conversion and sorted the camera autofocus at the same time. I managed to find an uncorrupted version of PKtether but actually ended up using the sd card hack to get directly into the debug menu. From there on it was all very quick and straightforward. The results are fantastic on my Kp, the autofocus is quick and not particularly noisy and now gives you confidence that it is going to nail focus first time which I did not feel was happening before.
The intention had been to put the K-m back on the market but it is in such good condition and now works correctly that I think it will stay for a while - I've got a nasty habit of collecting cameras! I think we will soon be adding a K3 III so whether my Kp will stay is still up for debate!
03-24-2021, 01:26 PM   #231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 62
what lenses?

"Only 5 lenses are in theory convertible. These we all sold as sdm was first introduced. The lenses were expensive and designed to work on the new and old bodies. They had both screw drive and sdm focus systems, but defaulted to using sdm only if both were possible on a given body.

Those lenses are the DA* 16-50, 50-135, 60-250, 200 and 300. Of these all except the 60-250 will convert. The 60-250 does not convert correctly."


So, if we don't have any of these lenses....just move on with our lives and ignore all this?
03-24-2021, 01:45 PM   #232
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,621
QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartidale Quote
just move on with our lives and ignore all this?
yeppp
03-24-2021, 02:35 PM   #233
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,910
QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartidale Quote
"Only 5 lenses are in theory convertible. These we all sold as sdm was first introduced. The lenses were expensive and designed to work on the new and old bodies. They had both screw drive and sdm focus systems, but defaulted to using sdm only if both were possible on a given body.

Those lenses are the DA* 16-50, 50-135, 60-250, 200 and 300. Of these all except the 60-250 will convert. The 60-250 does not convert correctly."


So, if we don't have any of these lenses....just move on with our lives and ignore all this?
Yes. Thatís correct.

03-24-2021, 08:54 PM   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 62
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Yes. Thatís correct.
What is the situation with these lenses? Are they still available for sale new? When were they first introduced?
03-24-2021, 09:17 PM   #235
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,910
QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartidale Quote
What is the situation with these lenses? Are they still available for sale new? When were they first introduced?
Yes they are. And the initial models came during the k10d and k100d super timeframe.
03-25-2021, 01:05 AM   #236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 62
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Yes they are. And the initial models came during the k10d and k100d super timeframe.
Would you be willing to bring a newbie to this SDM issue up to speed?

For example....is this "fixed"....and when did the "fix" take place?

Should we worry about the current Pentax SDM lenses? Are there certain models that still have trouble, etc?

Thank you for being willing to answer these basic questions for the 17th time....
03-25-2021, 05:22 AM   #237
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,910
QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartidale Quote
Would you be willing to bring a newbie to this SDM issue up to speed?

For example....is this "fixed"....and when did the "fix" take place?

Should we worry about the current Pentax SDM lenses? Are there certain models that still have trouble, etc?

Thank you for being willing to answer these basic questions for the 17th time....
Iím afraid I donít have a definitive answer. Most people say over time there was an improvement, but I donít know dates. Also there are lots of older lenses without any problem. It is a little bit hard to quantify also as the data is limited to those who complain or respond to polling.
03-25-2021, 06:52 AM   #238
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,621
QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartidale Quote
Should we worry about the current Pentax SDM lenses?
Also, confusingly, Pentax has retained using the SDM name but with a much improved motor on their latest lenses.
Such as:
70-210 f/4 SDM
50 f/1.4 SDM
85 f/1.4 SDM

I really think they should have changed the name to distinguish and avoid the confusion with the older models that had issues.
4 Days Ago   #239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Sioux City, IA
Posts: 533
QuoteOriginally posted by Stargeezer Quote
I just converted my da 300 f4 on a mac using my sons k-5.
No isssues except in textedit had to go to preferences and uncheck box "add txt extension". Then it worked fine.

On a side note. For those complaining they want to switch systems. I had two nikon afs 300 f4 af motors stop working in five years. Just sayin!

Thank you all for putting this info out there.
Joe
For the mac, did you use the method of leaving the SD card door open to get into debug mode? I don't really have access to a Windows machine to run PKTether on.
2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #240
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: sunny florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 128
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
For the mac, did you use the method of leaving the SD card door open to get into debug mode? I don't really have access to a Windows machine to run PKTether on.
Yes I left the sd card door open.
Joe
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
anomalies, camera, card, change, drive, file, files, firmware, hack, issues, k-mount, lens, mode, pentax, pentax lens, pktether, pm, post, power, profile, rom, screw, sd, sdm, slr lens, thanks, thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: SDM to Screwdrive Conversions UncleVanya Photographic Equipment for Sale 275 03-14-2021 11:38 AM
For Sale - Sold: SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM converted to screwdrive transam879 Sold Items 4 04-08-2015 09:22 AM
SDM failure in body without default to screwdrive? kxr4trids Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 08-14-2010 06:41 AM
K20D defaulting to screwdrive focus instead of SDM shemj Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 01-26-2010 04:22 PM
[Wanted] tutorial to convert/edit video from K-7 to netuser Video and Pentax HDSLRs 5 09-14-2009 04:01 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top