Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2019, 11:42 PM   #166
Forum Member

Convert SDM to ScrewDrive - DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM

Thank you for the instructions, I will definitely try. Just a question has someone tried with SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM?

04-04-2019, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #167
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Libor Quote
Thank you for the instructions, I will definitely try. Just a question has someone tried with SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM?
Only 5 lenses are in theory convertible. These we all sold as sdm was first introduced. The lenses were expensive and designed to work on the new and old bodies. They had both screw drive and sdm focus systems, but defaulted to using sdm only if both were possible on a given body.

Those lenses are the DA* 16-50, 50-135, 60-250, 200 and 300. Of these all except the 60-250 will convert. The 60-250 does not convert correctly.
04-08-2019, 01:21 AM   #168

Hello,
The subject you are talking about is very interesting.
I'm searching for buying a pentax 16-50mm objective and I found one with sdm not working.
With the sollution you explain in this post, is it possible to make the conversion on a SDM not working and so making the focus work on the screw drive?
Or do we have to make the conversion only on working SDM objectives?
Thank you for your answer

---------- Post added 04-08-19 at 01:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SimBeck Quote
Hello,
I'm searching for buying a pentax 16-50mm objective and I found one with sdm not working.
With the sollution you explain in this post, is it possible to make the conversion on a SDM not working and so making the focus work on the screw drive?
Another question(sorry I didn't find a way to edit my precedent post):
Is it possible to make it with a K-S2? I was searching the info but I didn't find
04-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #169
Forum Member

SimBeck

you didn't search at all. Both your questions have been already answered.
Regarding which bodies, that's on the previous page. (everything between *ist to K5.)

04-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #170
Forum Member

Hello,

---------- Post added 04-08-19 at 01:31 AM ----------

Another question(sorry I didn't find a way to edit my precedent post):
Is it possible to make it with a K-S2? I was searching the info but I didn't find
I have this lens and I converted it to screw drive.
I also have 50 to 135 also converted to screw drive.
Both are mint because they were not used much.
Sdm just frustrated me and they sat in my camera bag in closet.
Bought fa lens equivalents but converted the above lenses upon reading this forum.
04-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #171
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Berserker Quote
I have this lens and I converted it to screw drive.
I also have 50 to 135 also converted to screw drive.
Both are mint because they were not used much.
Sdm just frustrated me and they sat in my camera bag in closet.
Bought fa lens equivalents but converted the above lenses upon reading this forum.
Sales must be done on the marketplace.
04-08-2019, 11:40 PM   #172

QuoteOriginally posted by labidas Quote
SimBeck

you didn't search at all. Both your questions have been already answered.
Regarding which bodies, that's on the previous page. (everything between *ist to K5.)
Hello Mr Berserker (please don't take your big sword to wreck my head )
You're right, in the previous page there is a list of compatible bodies but because nobody spoke about the ks2 at all, I thought that the question hadn't been asked.
For my other question I still haven't found my answer. Do we have to make the conversion on still working objective or can we make conversion on a sdm failed objective to make the AF working again?

For UncleVanya: Thank you for your proposition but I'm in Frannce so I will first search for an objective at promixity first.

04-10-2019, 04:54 AM   #173
Forum Member

SimBeck

Your second question is indirectly answered already on the first page of this thread.
The conversion makes the lens use the camera's motor instead for focusing -----> which means it doesn't matter whether SDM works or not.
10-08-2019, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #174
Pentaxian

Hi,

I want to thak to all forum members who contributed to this thread.
I have a SDM 50-135 that started to fail maybe two years ago. As many of you have described, my problem is that, when I turn my camera on, the lens doesn't work, so I try focus several times, move the focus ring... and then it just awakes. Sometimes I turn on my camera and the lens just works without needed to focus and wait several minutes (as today, for example).
But, as I have a K5, I tried to hack the firmware just to find a permanent solution. It was a success, it took me maybe 15 mins, and I converted my lens to screwdrive.
Ye,s it focuses faster but It's too loud for me. As I use in places where I need silence, it's not usable for me in this mode, so I took back the changes again.
Anyway, good to know how to convert this great lens.

Regards.
10-09-2019, 04:41 AM   #175
Forum Member

Hello Mr Berserker (please don't take your big sword to wreck my head )
You're right, in the previous page there is a list of compatible bodies but because nobody spoke about the ks2 at all, I thought that the question hadn't been asked.
For my other question I still haven't found my answer. Do we have to make the conversion on still working objective or can we make conversion on a sdm failed objective to make the AF working again?

For UncleVanya: Thank you for your proposition but I'm in Frannce so I will first search for an objective at promixity first.
Hello SimBeck, not a sword owner, no knowledge on how to use one.
The two sdm that I own would not fire up on startup.
Considering the money laid out, they should be singing the moment the camera is turned on.
The conversion works either way.
All you are doing is replacing the file that tells the lens where to go for focus execution (no sword).
Hope this helps, and good luck!

---------- Post added 10-09-19 at 05:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
Hi,

I want to thak to all forum members who contributed to this thread.
I have a SDM 50-135 that started to fail maybe two years ago. As many of you have described, my problem is that, when I turn my camera on, the lens doesn't work, so I try focus several times, move the focus ring... and then it just awakes. Sometimes I turn on my camera and the lens just works without needed to focus and wait several minutes (as today, for example).
But, as I have a K5, I tried to hack the firmware just to find a permanent solution. It was a success, it took me maybe 15 mins, and I converted my lens to screwdrive.
Ye,s it focuses faster but It's too loud for me. As I use in places where I need silence, it's not usable for me in this mode, so I took back the changes again.
Anyway, good to know how to convert this great lens.

Regards.
Good to hear that you were successful.
As far as this lens being great, I will have to politely disagree.
This forum would not exist if Pentax had truly made a great lens.
10-09-2019, 05:22 AM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Berserker Quote
This forum would not exist if Pentax had truly made a great lens.
I have to agree with you
10-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #177
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The loudness of the 50-135 converted isn't much in my opinion. But I'm using it on a k3 and I don't have a location that requires silence. Honestly in that situation manual focus seems best.
10-09-2019, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
On the DA*300 I find the screw drive noise comforting, at least I know it's trying to focus.
11-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #179

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
Hello everyone!

After a lot of searching through the forms and help from dflorez, UncleVanya, and whoever made the dropbox link I was able to convert my lens. I had a hard time understanding the process, but I finally figured it out. I decided something this complicated needs a video. In this video I converted the 50-135mm lens, but I understand the process is the same for the 16-50, 60-250, 200, and 300mm lenses. I hope this is helpful to you and Good Luck!

The video is here: HOW TO: Convert SDM to ScrewDrive - Pentax - YouTube

Below you will see the process I followed. Again, I have the forums here to thank for giving me this information. I hope it helps you.

Too Much for you? Go here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/311609-sal...ersions-3.html

Wanna give it a try? Keep Going.

NOTE: I am not responsible for any damage that my occur to your equipment. Continue at your own risk.

Stuff you need:
Dropbox- Pentax Hack Files: Dropbox - enable Debug Menu - Simplify your life
Lens Hack Directions: How to deactivate SDM and allow for screw drive autofocus with DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 - Le site des amateurs de PENTAX
Pktether: Since the site is down due to malware, here is a link to the most recent version on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2uv9RXId6z4eUE2OTZmVTMybFk
If the site ever gets fixed... you can go here. BUT DON'T right now (05/24/16) PK_Tether – Tethering Software for Pentax DSLR Cameras
Nopad++ (text editor): https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.9.2.html
Pentax Forums Other Links:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...-2-8-a-41.html

My Steps
1.) Download PKTether (pktether site)
2.) Download Camera Hack files (drop box)
3.) Download Notepad++
4.) Open Pktether
5.) Place SD card into camera, connect camera to computer (USB cable)
6.) Turn on Camera In PKtether activate DEBUG MODE
7.) Copy Hack Files to SD card
8.) Disconnect camera from USB cable
9.) Power Down Camera, Power back on
You are in Development Menu
10.) Scroll down to "Lens Rom Camera=SD" and hit OK. (it should go black, and then you will see the same screen again)
11.) Power off camera, Move SD card to PC and open it
12.) You are looking for the LENSEEP.LNS file. MAKE A BACKUP of this file - THIS IS LENS COPY SPECIFIC - ONLY YOUR FILE WORKS WITH YOUR LENS!
13.) Open LENSEEP.LNS with Notepad++
14.) Replace ALL instances of "C0" in column "03" with "80". DO NOT REPLACE any instances of "C0" outside of column "03".
15.) Move the new LENSEEP.LNS file to your SD card (replacing the orginal, remember to back up the orginal)
16.) Power Camera on
17.) Scroll to "LENS ROM DAT SD= CAMERA" and hit OK ( you will see "Wait..." and then some text)
NOTE: It failed the first time for me, needed to do it twice
18.) When Complete, lens should be in screw Drive
19.) Disable Debug Mode
A.) Use camera settings Menue Button Scroll left until you see "Test Mode" Disable Debug Mode Hit OK
B.) Connect to PKtether, Click Debug Mode Off
OMG! Thank you so much, my 50-135mm lens now works and I can now use it on my K3.

I did the conversion on my old K20D because I didn't want to mess around with my K3.

After conversion, I tested it on my K3 and it works too. Eventhough I do not understand why, I am very happy with the end result.

Not sure why you use PK Tether to copy the files on the SD card as we can easily do it directly on the PC. Or am I missing something?

Natali
11-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #180
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spookie Quote
OMG! Thank you so much, my 50-135mm lens now works and I can now use it on my K3.

I did the conversion on my old K20D because I didn't want to mess around with my K3.

After conversion, I tested it on my K3 and it works too. Eventhough I do not understand why, I am very happy with the end result.

Not sure why you use PK Tether to copy the files on the SD card as we can easily do it directly on the PC. Or am I missing something?

Natali
Conversion affects the lens on all bodies. Sdm bodies will treat the lens as screwdrive once converted.