Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 121 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote

May I ask whether your converted screw-driven lenses are working okay for you now? (I appreciate that you didn't acquire those two DA-Stars with screw-drive in mind.)

Thanks.

- Craig
The conversion was a breeze following the video in the original post. Did both of the lenses in about 15 minutes and they're working fine now with the screw drive. I never really got any use of the 16-50 after I bought it (used). It was working when I got it but seized up later on.

The noise is a little irritating, the SDM was surely a nice feature if taking photos in a quiet environment.

07-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #212
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pasorro Quote
My DA 300 had one of the contacts broken. SDM does not work and I cant do the conversion due the lack of comunicstion between lens and camera. the lens file than I can get is all zeros.
fortunally I got a spare part from the powerzoom contacts of a old lens and after the change of parts, sdm works.

May be it is time for do a screw drive conversion
You can - and it will be good insurance against the failure of either a power zoom contact/sdm power contact or the motor system. But it is working I don't see much gain unless you are often far from home with the lens on trips.
10-09-2020, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thank You

I'd just like to add my thanks to everyone who contributed to finding this method of SDM to Screwdrive conversion. I now have a working DA*16-50 again - I followed the steps set out by bjdavey and found them clear and concise - Thank You
10-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #214
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
I'd just like to add my thanks to everyone who contributed to finding this method of SDM to Screwdrive conversion. I now have a working DA*16-50 again - I followed the steps set out by bjdavey and found them clear and concise - Thank You
Great news!

10-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
Hello everyone!

After a lot of searching through the forms and help from dflorez, UncleVanya, and whoever made the dropbox link I was able to convert my lens. I had a hard time understanding the process, but I finally figured it out. I decided something this complicated needs a video. In this video I converted the 50-135mm lens, but I understand the process is the same for the 16-50, 60-250, 200, and 300mm lenses. I hope this is helpful to you and Good Luck!

The video is here: HOW TO: Convert SDM to ScrewDrive - Pentax - YouTube

Below you will see the process I followed. Again, I have the forums here to thank for giving me this information. I hope it helps you.

Too Much for you? Go here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/311609-sal...ersions-3.html

Wanna give it a try? Keep Going.

NOTE: I am not responsible for any damage that my occur to your equipment. Continue at your own risk.

Stuff you need:
Dropbox- Pentax Hack Files: Dropbox - enable Debug Menu - Simplify your life
Lens Hack Directions: How to deactivate SDM and allow for screw drive autofocus with DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 - Le site des amateurs de PENTAX
Pktether: Since the site is down due to malware, here is a link to the most recent version on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2uv9RXId6z4eUE2OTZmVTMybFk
If the site ever gets fixed... you can go here. BUT DON'T right now (05/24/16) PK_Tether – Tethering Software for Pentax DSLR Cameras
Nopad++ (text editor): https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.9.2.html
Pentax Forums Other Links:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...-2-8-a-41.html

My Steps
1.) Download PKTether (pktether site)
2.) Download Camera Hack files (drop box)
3.) Download Notepad++
4.) Open Pktether
5.) Place SD card into camera, connect camera to computer (USB cable)
6.) Turn on Camera In PKtether activate DEBUG MODE
7.) Copy Hack Files to SD card
8.) Disconnect camera from USB cable
9.) Power Down Camera, Power back on
You are in Development Menu
10.) Scroll down to "Lens Rom Camera=SD" and hit OK. (it should go black, and then you will see the same screen again)
11.) Power off camera, Move SD card to PC and open it
12.) You are looking for the LENSEEP.LNS file. MAKE A BACKUP of this file - THIS IS LENS COPY SPECIFIC - ONLY YOUR FILE WORKS WITH YOUR LENS!
13.) Open LENSEEP.LNS with Notepad++
14.) Replace ALL instances of "C0" in column "03" with "80". DO NOT REPLACE any instances of "C0" outside of column "03".
15.) Move the new LENSEEP.LNS file to your SD card (replacing the orginal, remember to back up the orginal)
16.) Power Camera on
17.) Scroll to "LENS ROM DAT SD= CAMERA" and hit OK ( you will see "Wait..." and then some text)
NOTE: It failed the first time for me, needed to do it twice
18.) When Complete, lens should be in screw Drive
19.) Disable Debug Mode
A.) Use camera settings Menue Button Scroll left until you see "Test Mode" Disable Debug Mode Hit OK
B.) Connect to PKtether, Click Debug Mode Off
Which link do I use -> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2uv9RXId6z4eUE2OTZmVTMybFk
10-13-2020, 04:34 PM   #216
Veteran Member

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - I was a little nervous but the VIDEO made this a snap. So happy to have auto focus back on my DA 300
10-27-2020, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #217

@Blacknight659 Thanks for the line by line instructions. My 50-135 is back in auto-focus!

11-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is someone willing to convert a DA300mm lens? What might it cost?
11-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #219
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cdurfor Quote
Is someone willing to convert a DA300mm lens? What might it cost?
I’ve connected with you on this I think.
12-07-2020, 12:18 AM   #220

So i purchased a k5 for the purpose of doing this conversion. i downloaded the lens file and opened it in notepad++ and started to replace the C0 with 80.

i got to line 80.

and from line 80 through to line 152, ever single spot where there should be a pair of numbers or letters..... is instead just "FF" "FF" "FF" "FF" "FF" "FF" "FF" "FF" "FF" etc.
is this anything to be concerned about? i dont want to copy this across to the lens again, just in case.

Every video or photo i have seen shows number and letter combinations all the way through the file. so i am a little concerned...

any advice? or should i just go for it haha

---------- Post added 12-07-20 at 05:29 PM ----------

Ok, took a chance anyway, since i had a copy of the original. loaded it on, and screw drive works. hooray!
12-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #221
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelvandal Quote
So i purchased a k5 for the purpose of doing this conversion. i downloaded the lens file and opened it in notepad++ and started to replace the C0 with 80.

i got to line 80.

and from line 80 through to line 152, ever single spot where there should be a pair of numbers or letters..... is instead just "FF" "FF" "FF" "FF" "FF" "FF" "FF" "FF" "FF" etc.
is this anything to be concerned about? i dont want to copy this across to the lens again, just in case.

Every video or photo i have seen shows number and letter combinations all the way through the file. so i am a little concerned...

any advice? or should i just go for it haha

---------- Post added 12-07-20 at 05:29 PM ----------

Ok, took a chance anyway, since i had a copy of the original. loaded it on, and screw drive works. hooray!
On some lenses that’s normal which lens?
01-03-2021, 05:46 PM   #222
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kokol Quote
Hello,

I just wanted to give a huge thanks to bjdavey, Blacknight659, and DavidDwight for this.

The SDM of my 16-50 has been dead for 3+ years and previous attempts at physical repairs, playing with the spring, worked but were very shortlived. I stumbled upon a message elsewhere which mentioned a "(converted) 16-50mm", which got my curiosity and led me to this thread.

I followed bjdavey instructions on my Windows computer and Pentax K-5IIs firmware 1.07, and everything went smoothly. Glad to have a functional lens again. Thanks!
I want to echo thanks to these guys as well. I just picked up a DA* 200 and DA* 300 and am curious to test the differences in AF using SDM or not. I tried it on the DA* 200 and using my K3 the file would not copy from the lens to the SD card. When I switched to my K5 (firmware 1.14) and tried it worked great. I can see times when I might want the SDM for quiet settings but if switching it off improves AF for sports I could see creating cards for SDM on and SDM off and choosing whichever mode is best. For now I plan to just use the lenses with SDM on to see how it works. I had a DA* 50-135 years ago and remember that it was pretty slow to lock focus but I ended up trading it for a Sigma 50-500.
01-04-2021, 03:48 PM   #223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GvilleRick Quote
I want to echo thanks to these guys as well. I just picked up a DA* 200 and DA* 300 and am curious to test the differences in AF using SDM or not. I tried it on the DA* 200 and using my K3 the file would not copy from the lens to the SD card. When I switched to my K5 (firmware 1.14) and tried it worked great. I can see times when I might want the SDM for quiet settings but if switching it off improves AF for sports I could see creating cards for SDM on and SDM off and choosing whichever mode is best. For now I plan to just use the lenses with SDM on to see how it works. I had a DA* 50-135 years ago and remember that it was pretty slow to lock focus but I ended up trading it for a Sigma 50-500.
Generally I don't see a huge difference in speed for good working SDM vs. Screwdrive. However failing SDM can manifest as very slow to lock, and even giving up before lock in tough focus situations. In this case the screwdrive will outperform the SDM handily.
02-08-2021, 10:49 AM - 2 Likes   #224

I just converted my da 300 f4 on a mac using my sons k-5.
No isssues except in textedit had to go to preferences and uncheck box "add txt extension". Then it worked fine.

On a side note. For those complaining they want to switch systems. I had two nikon afs 300 f4 af motors stop working in five years. Just sayin!

Thank you all for putting this info out there.
Joe
02-08-2021, 06:48 PM   #225
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stargeezer Quote
I just converted my da 300 f4 on a mac using my sons k-5.
No isssues except in textedit had to go to preferences and uncheck box "add txt extension". Then it worked fine.

On a side note. For those complaining they want to switch systems. I had two nikon afs 300 f4 af motors stop working in five years. Just sayin!

Thank you all for putting this info out there.
Joe
Awesome to hear.