Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Okay, So I Did An Experiment...

This all got me to thinking, so I pulled out 9 different lenses. I set up the tripod and a chair and pulled the setup progressively further apart as the focal length increased. This is a reduced version of what I ended up with:

(A much bigger version is here.)

My, what a big head I have at 24mm! Comments welcome, although not on the model!

[The lenses I used were, from left to right: S-M-C Takumar 24/3.5, S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5, 31mm Limited, A50/1.2, 77mm Limited, Super-Takumar 85/1.9, DFA100/2.8 Macro, S-M-C Takumar 135/2.5. All of them were either at f/2.8 or f/4 - I just picked the best focused one. Levels applied to all of them.]

02-13-2007, 09:57 PM   #17

Just a brief comment on the sharpness issue: if the product from the lens and camera is critically sharp then all the image information is present for adjustment in PP as required for the final image. Further adjustments can be made to meet other needs on an 'as required' basis. However, this is not possible with a deliberately shot 'soft image'. It's one of the great boons of having a "digital darkroom".
02-14-2007, 05:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Hi egordon99

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
I'd love to hear people's experience with this. Like I said, I think a 100mm f/2.8 prime would be great! In Pentax land, that means one of the macro lenses.

Sean - You have the DFA 100mm, right? How is the autofocus on that? Especially in indoor lighting?
Just FYI, Pentax has got a M100/2.8 lens that's NOT macro and manual focus of course since it is an M lens. Here is the link to Bojidar's page:
M 100/2.8

Hope that helps,

cheers
Kenny
02-14-2007, 06:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awjweb Quote
I like to use a FA 50mm 1.4 usually at 4.0 for sharpness and so that DOF is not so paper thin. (pics link to fullsize images)

Shot at f2.0:

Tony
This is simultaneously adorable and really scary!

02-14-2007, 06:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kjao Quote
Hi egordon99

Just FYI, Pentax has got a M100/2.8 lens that's NOT macro and manual focus of course since it is an M lens. Here is the link to Bojidar's page:
M 100/2.8

Hope that helps,

cheers
Kenny
There is an A version of the 100/2.8 Macro, too. I'd rather have the A version using a Pentax DSLR.
02-14-2007, 06:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote
Just a brief comment on the sharpness issue: if the product from the lens and camera is critically sharp then all the image information is present for adjustment in PP as required for the final image. Further adjustments can be made to meet other needs on an 'as required' basis. However, this is not possible with a deliberately shot 'soft image'. It's one of the great boons of having a "digital darkroom".
I'd be interested in seeing some samples of this. I have a hard time blending in a Gaussian blur naturally.
02-14-2007, 06:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
Good question. I've done everything from 10 - 400, it all depends where I am and what I'm doing. I probably use the 50mm and the 77mm the most. (and, you'll notice that I also tend to get in close with my portraits - it's good to see that others do too since a friend after looking at my pics was asking why I always "cut off" the top of people's heads)

at 10mm

at 77mm

at 138mm

at 400mm
That 10mm shot of Max is killer.

02-14-2007, 06:21 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ivan, those are great shots.
02-14-2007, 08:29 AM   #24

I think picture #6 is the best, but it might be the light...

I guess it depends what do you want to do with the picture, this comparison shows some distortion at wide angle, while the tele end is similar in reproduction... perhaps slightly flatter, but not much to chose between them... so #6 out of them... but it might only be that I prefer the stronger light more than anything else, I am not that sharp on perspective distortion to be able to have a clear preference out of the tele lenses in this example on the top.
02-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zubati Kit Quote
I think picture #6 is the best, but it might be the light...

I guess it depends what do you want to do with the picture, this comparison shows some distortion at wide angle, while the tele end is similar in reproduction... perhaps slightly flatter, but not much to chose between them... so #6 out of them... but it might only be that I prefer the stronger light more than anything else, I am not that sharp on perspective distortion to be able to have a clear preference out of the tele lenses in this example on the top.
Yeah, I have to say that I think (as far as perspective/reproduction goes) numbers 4-7 (35mm, 50mm, 77mm, 85mm) look good to me. The others don't look bad, especially 8 and 9, but the middle ones look more 'natural'.

One important note which certainly makes a difference in the focal length you choose - the 24mm portrait was taken from approximately 2 feet away, whereas the 135mm portrait was from about 12 feet. So if I'm taking shots in an intimate environment, I would probably say the 35mm is my best bet. If I wanted more space between myself and the model, it looks like an 85mm or even 100mm would work fine.

I'm glad I did this. I had no idea, plus it was really fun to take self portraits with 9 different lenses! I was laughing the whole time.
02-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #26

yes, a good test and reference

distance is certainly interesting, to me it would be more whether you are inside or outside... I mostly used 28mm tak so far, which seems a bit weak for portraits here, showing more of the distortion in comparison... but I was quite happy so far, and really I think that if you get a bit further away this distortion is smaller too, but than this is not a real portrait shot anymore...