Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First outing with 18-250mm

I'm very happy with my new Pentax 18-250mm. Horrible zoom creep (needs repair?). The distortion at wide angle is pretty obvious, as expected. Sharpness is well beyond what I expected, and colours are superb. What do you think of my first field trip?

Picasa Web Albums - Dan - Pentax 18-250mm

07-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those show the lens off to good advantage, Dan! Nice shots. That looks like a really good walk around lens - as everyone who has one says.
07-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Those show the lens off to good advantage, Dan! Nice shots. That looks like a really good walk around lens - as everyone who has one says.
Thanks Rocky. The versatility of this lens is off the hook. I'll have to shoot RAW from now on so I can counter the wide angle weirdness. And it has to go back to the shop for tightening. It will be hard to live without it now, even though I've only had it for a weekend. :~(
07-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
And it has to go back to the shop for tightening. It will be hard to live without it now, even though I've only had it for a weekend. :~(
You mean the slide from wide to telephoto can be fixed???

07-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
You mean the slide from wide to telephoto can be fixed???
That's what I was told by someone who had his Tamron version repaired. I'll let you know after I contact Pentax service.
07-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That'd be great, Thanx!
07-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That barn shot would make a nice contribution to the Week Challenge #64 - Ruins, abandon also works. Great Work!

07-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi audiobomber

Re your observation:

QuoteQuote:
Horrible zoom creep (needs repair?).
I assume you're aware of the little "lock" switch on the lens barrel, which is designed to prevent this. If you leave the lens dangling down under it's own weight without engaging the "lock", then after a while gravity will inevitably take it's natural course. I doubt whether there is anything to repair, as such ! Nevertheless, I think you'd agree that despite this small niggle, it still remains a cracking lens.

As for your second point:

QuoteQuote:
The distortion at wide angle is pretty obvious, as expected.
Fortunately this distortion can easily be cured nowadays by using inexpensive digital editing software packages such as PSP Pro Photo X2 or Adobe Elements v. 6.0, as well as with the numerous software choices that are widely available free on the internet etc (see below) !

Photo-Freeware.net - Image Editing Freeware Download Source

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...

Picasa - free photo editing and photo management software

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

UFRaw - Download & Install

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 07-15-2008 at 12:24 PM.
07-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I just ordered one too

Don't expect too much from the short or the far end and it'll be fine. I really look forward to using it.....
07-15-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Actually the short end is wonderful, it's the longer end that is weak.

It's a very tidy 18-70 that does go to 250 ifyaknowwhjatimean.
07-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
I assume you're aware of the little "lock" switch on the lens barrel, which is designed to prevent this.
Fortunately this distortion can easily be cured nowadays by using inexpensive digital editing software packages such as PSP Pro Photo X2 or Adobe Elements v. 6.0, as well as with the numerous software choices that are widely available free Best regards
Richard
Yes, I am aware of the lock switch. Frankly without it the lens would be unusable.

I am also aware that lens distortion is correctable. But you do have to correct for it in a lot of wide angle shots, and not just at 18mm, because it is heavy. I intend to shoot in RAW from now on, and the Pentax Photo Lab does offer angle correction. I have and use Picasa but I'm not aware of any way to correct for barrel distortion with that program.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-15-2008 at 05:31 PM.
07-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Actually the short end is wonderful, it's the longer end that is weak.

It's a very tidy 18-70 that does go to 250 ifyaknowwhjatimean.
70mm? Come on, you're really selling it short there. It is damn sharp to 135mm IME, and 250 is more than useable. The seagull in my Picasa link was shot at 250 mm and cropped by 50%. Does it look overly soft to you? Most lenses are a little soft at the long end.

Picasa Web Albums - Dan - Pentax 18-250mm

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-15-2008 at 03:42 PM.
07-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
That barn shot would make a nice contribution to the Week Challenge #64 - Ruins, abandon also works. Great Work!
Thanks F-Stop, but that barn photo is no good, it was shot at 155mm.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-15-2008 at 03:37 PM.
07-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Hi Dan (audiobomber)

QuoteQuote:
I have and use Picasa but I'm not aware of any way to correct for barrel distortion with that program.
I can't speak about any of the other software I provided links to, but Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 definitely has both Barrel Distortion & Pincushion Distortion correction, because I use use these facilities on a regular basis.
I once downloaded a trial version of Elements, but soon returned to PSP, because I simply found it so incredibly intuitive to use. Corel have had version X2 (v.12) on offer at a substantial price reduction for quite some while and if you're interested, there is a free 30-day trial download on their website.

Home - Free Trials - Corel Corporation

Best regards
Richard
07-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Corel have had version X2 (v.12) on offer at a substantial price reduction for quite some while and if you're interested, there is a free 30-day trial download on their website.

Home - Free Trials - Corel Corporation
Thanks Richard, I may check that out. I have a loaner copy of PhotoShop CS3 but I can't do anything with it. Very user-unfriendly IMO.