Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
I'd be interested to see the bokeh of the 30/1.4. Photozone did specifically demonstrate that the FA31 had the edge for Pentax owners in the typical measures of lens quality (MTF, edge to edge sharpness, vignette, etc) over the 30/1.4 - but f1.4 has a charm all its own. The 31 has never stolen my heart like the Nokton did with its 1.4 abilities.

I'd curiously observe you're work with the 30 if you got one Gooshin.
since we're on the topic
31mm Ltd vs. sigma 30mm 1.4: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

i've read some stuff where some owners really love their sigma fast wides and that the bokeh definitely is unique. even a comment where someone regretted selling their Sigma wide for the FA31 (can't find that post however). look forward to when you get it Gooshin.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
when i looked over my pictures that i took with your FA31, i confirmed what i assumed, it was nearly identical to the 43 just different FOV.

at 1.8 it was by no means stellar, and at F4.0 it was sharp, as expected, but is the sharpness worth the extra 300-400 dollars over the Sigma 30?

also many people here will speak of colour and contrast, thats fine and dandy but you have to remember that this is digital! coloru and contrast become entirely arbirtrary to what you want it to be when you post process (assuming you post process)

so as soon as some of my other collection sells off i will purchase the SIgma 30 and take a look see.
1.8 isn't stellar but much further from poor, but by the mid 2's it's already very good and it should have better corner sharpness than the FA43 at the larger apertures. but i agree, $300-$400 more the FA31 isn't good value especially when the FA35 is available and just as sharp if not sharper, DA35 is here and awesome, and DA*30 sealed and SDM is around the corner. but i don't really PP and so better out of the camera makes it easier for me.

Last edited by k100d; 07-15-2008 at 07:48 PM.
07-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just reminded me to go out and play again with my copy

cheers
07-17-2008, 09:59 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gooshin,

Are you currently bidding on an FA 28mm?
07-19-2008, 03:58 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Glad to see that you are enjoying some good use out of the lens!

It's a nice piece of glass and as much as I wanted to use it, I never really did. I suppose if I did more shooting at more open apertures, I'd kept it. Interesting thing though, at least at f2.8 and above, that I found my copy of the FA43 to be much sharper than the FA50. Maybe I have a really good FA43, I dunno.