Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2016, 05:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should I keep it?

So yeah, I went lens hunting yesterday. Had a weird dream that made me think that I need to buy weird old lenses so I set out to do that. - and kinda failed except for buying a lens..

I picked up an FA 28-200 3.8-5.6 AL IF, quickly checked prices on the web and thought it's worth it (28usd) and that I'd try to sell it on and buy another lens with the proceeds.

It's got the box, cardboard in box to hold the lens in place, hood, manual and receipt and seems to be in good condition.

Now I was wondering if I should keep it?

I'm not really into AF or zooms and walked around with it briefly and thought it was OK, I'm not sure the IQ blew me away though and generally am worrying a bit that a zoom like that would 'ruin' my other lenses a bit..

Any thoughts?

Also, I came across a zebra Enna München Ennalyt 135/3.5 without the mount. Are the exacta and m42 mounts interchangeable for those lenses?

05-26-2016, 06:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
Now I was wondering if I should keep it?
Do you have, or will you be buying, the K-1 at any stage? If so, I think you should keep it long enough to see how it performs, because it will be your one-lens-does-all package for wide to mid tele (18-135 equivalent).

If not, it's got the equivalent field of view of 40-300 or thereabouts, and now that you have it and paid so little for it, there seems no harm in taking it out for a spin every now and then. Shoot the hell out of it, and if you get tired of it, get rid of it and reap the benefits.
05-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

A budget, all in one super zoom, complete as original? And you're a prime shooter? I say definitely sell it and with the
proceeds find something characterful and fun to shoot through, like the lenses in your signature.
05-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sell it. Especially if you have the box and so on. I had one briefly and decided I could use a mason jar as a lens and get better results. YMMV.

05-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I had one briefly and decided I could use a mason jar as a lens and get better results.
LOL. I'm going to steal that line and use it
05-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Do you have, or will you be buying, the K-1 at any stage?
I do have one, yes.

Might keep it for the k50 and see how comfortable my mum is with it and go from there as I'm not in a hurry.

I love your various replies though

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And decided I could use a mason jar as a lens and get better results.
Sounds like a challenge?
05-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
Sounds like a challenge?
Sure, lets see some pix. I don't think I have any left from that lens, they really were very poor. Maybe the copy I had was decentered. I also had no idea what AF fine tuning was back then either so that might have been part of it. Anyway it's long gone and I've interest in a new one.