Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Let me start over. Who are reviews written for these days?
When I write a review, resolution is only a small part of what I cover. I write in order to let someone who has never held or used the lens under test to understand precisely how it's made, how it feels, how it operates, how it delivers.

06-09-2016, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I write in order to let someone who has never held or used the lens under test to understand precisely how it's made, how it feels, how it operates, how it delivers.
This is what is needed, far more than endless pontification over an MTF chart. Resolution charts are useful in that they're the only objective way to assess a lens (but only valid if you stated your methodology clearly), but using them as the be-all and end-all is stupid. The only lens that NEEDS to be uniformly sharp wall-to-wall is one that's being used for macro, medical/technical or reproduction work, and that's one of the reasons why the DA35/2.8 Limited is significantly more expensive than its plastic f/2.4 cousin.
06-09-2016, 07:29 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ABP is your friend

Out of curiosity to see what all the hostility is about, I just visited the Digiloyd site. I always have Ad Blocker Pro enabled. It worked beautifully. Only a few unobjectionable transition ad headers were shown. The Pentax blog entries were clean, easy to read and interesting. I always prefer paywalls to ads. I will go back again late and see if I am interested enough to subscribe.
06-09-2016, 09:01 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing that he wrote about FA31 is untrue, I don't think. He's just asking it questions it wasn't built to answer. If the question is whether a lens offers a subtle 3D promotion of the central subject, with soft transition to OOF areas and pleasing color rendering - FA31 wins going away,

The Ill-informed reader will consider LC's statements a final ranking. The discriminating photographer will match tool to task.

06-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #20
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
fwiw:

Scott S writes: ...Pentax are so stuck in the past providing "legacy compatibility" that they are not moving forward, at least that's the way it feels, plus the "loyal pentaxians" are so attached to technically shitty glass that has "character" that they can't see the sunshine from the rain.

I love my 645z and the results I obtain with it are superb, the K1 has potential, but like you say, they are all (ca-nikon-pentax) so attached to having a mirror and optical viewfinder that brings its own set of age old problems. It's no wonder Sony are kicking butt.

DIGLOYD: Indeed. Pentax optimal performance for the most part is marginal for the K1.

diglloyd: Pentax K1: Adapting Pentax 645 and Other Lenses to Pentax K