07-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
DA 18-55mm
FA 50mm F/1.4
Tamron 70-300mm LD Di
DA 55-300mm
DA 18-250mm

The 18-55 and Tamron are redundant since I bought the higher performing DA 18-250 and 55-300mm zooms. I'm waiting on delivery of a Raynox 250 which could mean I will use the Tamron for its 1:2 "macro". I'll keep the kit lens just to have a small light lens and because it's worth virtually nothing.

07-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For 14 years I only used 1 lens.
For the next 5 I used two (one af, and the aforementioned one).
Then I discovered you can buy cameras and lenses cheap off ebay
Now I make an effort to use them all, heck I have something like a 14 camera rotation too.
07-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

With the possible exception of a couple of duplicate lenses that I have I do use them all.
However some of them haven't been used in several months, one or 2 of them haven't been used in over a year.

Would I give these lenses up?
Nope, they're all good quality glass and aren't doing any harm where they're stored.
07-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
For 14 years I only used 1 lens.
For the next 5 I used two (one af, and the aforementioned one).
Then I discovered you can buy cameras and lenses cheap off ebay
Now I make an effort to use them all, heck I have something like a 14 camera rotation too.
Ha! Ha! I can totally relate!

Steve

07-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #20
Inactive Account

You'd be stupid not to use all the lenses you have .... But fact is you must choose well according to persona preference and not be led on by all the fan-boys on the internet.

There will always be discussions on the quality, IQ, sharpness, colour rendition of each individual lens, people will buy them because of this but don't ever put them to any use at all. They just want to own them ....

A good example her is the leica forum: Leica M8 Forum - Leica User Forum

Just browse for an hour or so, see whom has what to say about which lens ... and then check on their image gallery ..... it will make you cry to see that people just purchase lenses for the sake of having them and not being able to do anything with them.

Any lens today is good, some are better, some worse, but generally good, so just stick to yor personal preference and try not to get to involved with internet chatter. I have just purchased a 18-250 super zoom, the dread of any serious internet photographer, one does not buy superzooms .... how on earth can you make a serious image with that.....

Let me tell you these people will not know the difference between an image shot with a 18.250 and a 5.000$ leica lens ....

Lenses today are like ***** extensions I have the xx.xx because the rendition is better than the xx.xx ... bullshit, be different and produces great images with a kit lens (can be done you know!) it's not about sharpness or contrast, its about the atmosphere an image creates, and you can do this withe any lens on any camera.

Having said that, I tend to purchase lenses not based on the quality but rather on the basis of what I can do with this particular lens... I build up relationship with the lens in question and take it form there, knowing the limits is good, knowing what you can do with one lens which you cannot do with another improves your style and this is what photography is all about, improving ones style., and if this is done with a lens that is generally acclaimed, or with a lens which is overall disputed due to what ver reason, if it suites you it is the right lens!

So choose your lenses carefully and find out how you can utilize them best and make use of that, a lens you don't use, you don't need. try to build an understanding with your lenses, talk to them, see how far they go, see what they can do for you... and utilize them accordingly....

I can go on and on and on ... but will not bore you folk any further ....

Cheers

jan
07-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JCdeR Quote
You'd be stupid not to use all the lenses you have .... But fact is you must choose well according to persona preference and not be led on by all the fan-boys on the internet.

There will always be discussions on the quality, IQ, sharpness, colour rendition of each individual lens, people will buy them because of this but don't ever put them to any use at all. They just want to own them ....

A good example her is the leica forum: Leica M8 Forum - Leica User Forum

Just browse for an hour or so, see whom has what to say about which lens ... and then check on their image gallery ..... it will make you cry to see that people just purchase lenses for the sake of having them and not being able to do anything with them.

Any lens today is good, some are better, some worse, but generally good, so just stick to yor personal preference and try not to get to involved with internet chatter. I have just purchased a 18-250 super zoom, the dread of any serious internet photographer, one does not buy superzooms .... how on earth can you make a serious image with that.....

Let me tell you these people will not know the difference between an image shot with a 18.250 and a 5.000$ leica lens ....

Lenses today are like ***** extensions I have the xx.xx because the rendition is better than the xx.xx ... bullshit, be different and produces great images with a kit lens (can be done you know!) it's not about sharpness or contrast, its about the atmosphere an image creates, and you can do this withe any lens on any camera.

Having said that, I tend to purchase lenses not based on the quality but rather on the basis of what I can do with this particular lens... I build up relationship with the lens in question and take it form there, knowing the limits is good, knowing what you can do with one lens which you cannot do with another improves your style and this is what photography is all about, improving ones style., and if this is done with a lens that is generally acclaimed, or with a lens which is overall disputed due to what ver reason, if it suites you it is the right lens!

So choose your lenses carefully and find out how you can utilize them best and make use of that, a lens you don't use, you don't need. try to build an understanding with your lenses, talk to them, see how far they go, see what they can do for you... and utilize them accordingly....

I can go on and on and on ... but will not bore you folk any further ....

Cheers

jan
That wasn't a bore at all. As a matter of fact it was a very good read...and is full of very true comments.

c[_]
07-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Let me elaborate on that a bit ....

I shoot family pics for which I am sure the 18-250 will be more than perfect. Any mega.zoom you know the short end as the fast is not going to be all that good ... thats settled then ...

As for the 31 and 77 I like to shoot religious artifact in churches and cathedrals, I wan these to be tediously sharp ad have a perfect rendition ... I do believe these two lenses can reach that level.

I document religious history over the past 3000 years or so, these are actually the most images I sell, and also the photography I enjoy doing most, I have over 45.000 images based on this subject .... :-)

Some people like to shoot ducks, other dogs an cats, I like religious things... thats the great thing about photography you can choose and do anything you want, and do it in the manner you want ...
07-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Hi drabina

My answer is YES !

I only possess two lenses. The Tamron 18-250mm is permanently attached to one of my K10D bodies and the Sigma 10-20mm is fitted to the other one. That way I don't ever need to worry about swapping lenses over, but simply grab whichever combination I require ! Some might regard this solution as being overkill, but it suits my needs admirably !

Best regards
Richard

07-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #24
Inactive Account

The initial question answered: for years and years (unitil digital photography) I used a Leica M4 and a 35mm summicron as my only outfit ....

And film-wise, I now use a contraption without any lens at all .... I do a lot of Pinhole photography, tri-x 400 developed in rodinal ....
07-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #25

Yes. I have an M 50 1.7 that I never use, especially now I have the FA 50 1.4 (love that lens!).
The 18-55 sits on a shelve too, and I have a Pentor 500 mm that is just too unwieldy to use.
07-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #26
jro

I use every lens that I bought recently. I inherited a few old lenses that I don't use, the standout among them being a M 50mm f/1.7 . Probably the one with the least use is the 18-55 kit lens, then the 50-200 standard telephoto. Otherwise I get good use out of:
FA50 f/1.4
Porst 55mm f/1.2
Sigma 24mm f/1.8
DA10-17 Fisheye
Tak 135mm f/2.5

Those are the lenses I carry with me when I shoot shows, and I usually will use all of them each show.
07-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Difficult question to answer, but I will try

Main lenses that I use

Sigma 24-70mm EX DG F2.8
Sigma 10-20mm EX DC F4-5.6
Pentax SMC FA 50mm F.4
Pentax DA* 50-135mm F2.8 (only just got it, but will be using it ALOT)

Occasional lenses

Sigma 170-500mm APO (not really a walkabout lens....lol)
Tamron 90mm SP Macro F2.5 (for when I do Macro)
Sigma 55-200mm F4-5.6 (for travelling)
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 (again for travelling)
18-55mm "kit" lens
Takumar 135mm F2.5 manual (used mainly with the DS)
Pentax SMC-M 200mm F4 manual (again with the DS)
Tokina 20-35mm ATX Pro F2.8
Pentax SMC-M 55mm F1.8
Pentax SMC FA 28-80 (kit lens from the MZ-5n)

And hardly used

My M42 thread lenses. Although if I start using my Praktica and/or with adapter, will use with the DS

On the whole, all of my lenses have had a workout in some form or another in the last 12 months.
07-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Not yet !

Not Yet !

07-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I use all the lenses in my signature - some more frequently than others. If I find that I'm not using one very often, it usually gets sold, and I've sold some of the best lenses I've owned (Voigtlander 180 Lanthar, S-M-C Takumar 85 f/1.8, FA 50 2.8 macro, etc) because they weren't getting enough use due to the fact that I happened to own a more-frequently-used alternative.

But for me at least, a good portion of the fun of this hobby is choosing a tool to use in the creative process - and because that tool may have a slight variation on another tool you own, more fun comes with the ability to see and use that variation depending on the circumstances.

For example, I was taking a walk a couple weeks ago, and I happened to see a group of unique purple flowers. I knew immediately that my 50 1.7 would create the most interesting bokeh from that group of flowers, and that my 50 1.4 would probably create 'better' bokeh, but the 1.7 would do something... weirder, maybe much more pleasing. I also knew that my M 85 f/2 would do something magical with it, but my FA 77ltd wouldn't necessarily, because that shade of purple would 'pop' too much with the 77ltd and distract from the bokeh.

50 1.7

It was fun to go through that process, to know the tools, and to exploit the subtle differences in them towards an end that you could only guide, not determine.

Basically that's why I keep more than 3 lenses.

07-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Least Used Lenses

Good question. I've got a bunch of lenses and to be honest most don't see the light of day very often. The recent M and K series threads in this forum reminded me just how good these old lenses can be. In my carry bag I normally have the following: Camera K10D, Lenses: K 24 2.8, M 50 1.14, DA 70 2.4 Limited, A 100 2.8 macro and the K 200 f 2.5. I find this bunch meets most of my everyday needs.

The next most used group making occasional appearances in the bag would include: K 300 f 4, K 135 f 3.5, M 50 f 4 macro and M 35 f 2.

Seldom if ever used are: M 200 f 4 (nice lens but the K 200 f 2.5 is better), M 150 f 3.5, and M 28 2.8.

Never used are the M 75~150 f 4 and 80~200 f 4.5 zooms. Itís not that these are bad lenses I just don't like zooms.

As Jaysherman notes above each lens brings something different to the table. Knowing how and when to exploit those qualities is part of the fun and art of photography. Iím still working on the art part. My learning curve continues.

Cheers,

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 07-15-2008 at 04:00 PM.