Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2010, 05:38 AM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
A lens a month? You call that LBA??? For a few months on eBay I bought an average of a lens a day. Now the money is gone but the lenses are still here. Hint: They were (mostly) old manual lenses. They were mostly cheap. They stare at me now.

EartH, eh?
Same here. I think I bought 300 lenses over a period of 5 months. That makes an average of 2 lenses per day. I have a lot of duplicated lenses though. My LBA is a bit better now but I still buy in average 2-3 lenses per month, however the average price of my lens has gone up drastically as well.

06-12-2010, 07:20 AM   #92
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Purposely taking out my taks and the K today. They've been feeling unloved since I got gripped by Limited fever
06-14-2010, 05:04 AM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I'm curious...for those who say that each of their lenses has a specific purpose, did you start out with no lenses and bought things as needed? Or did you have an extensive set of lenses and sold/bought things to get down to your current kit?
I believe that's me

I started with the Sigma 17-70 plus a three lenses kit given to me by my aunt (belonged to my uncle ) : cheap 28, 50, 135 manuals. With the four lenses, I narrowed down my interests, sold lenses to fund other purchases, looked at listings (here and elsewhere) and bit the bullet when I found a good deal.

for instance, I gave the 50 to a friend after purchasing a A50 f1,4 (plus AF280T flash and Super program body) for 10$. I sold the A50 when I found an F50 f1,7 (plus two cheap lenses and a P30T body) for 100$. I sold the Takumar bayonet 135 mm when I found the M150 f3,5 for 35$. I got the macro for 150$, mint.

I'm in no hurry, that helps. And now my lineup is pretty well balanced, I don't see any gaping holes in it. Maybe one day I'll get the 50-135, the last lens I'm lusting about. Or maybe I'll get the Limiteds, but I doubt they would fit my style.
06-14-2010, 05:06 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
So when the Mrs asks why there are so many lenses around, I've got a justifiable answer for her.
I asked her, this year, to keep the receipts when she buys stuff for HER hobby. If I spent as much as her I'd get three Limiteds every two years...

06-14-2010, 05:21 AM   #95
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I can say that I essentially use all my lenses. Well, I have a helping hand of my older daughter, but nonetheless.

She has her set: DA 21, FA 50/1.4 and FA 100/3.5 macro that she uses regularly. I am mostly shooting with A 50/1.2, but sometimes with one of the three FA limited lenses. My least used lens is Tamron 28-75/2.8 which I usually use for event photography. There is also FA 20/2.8 that I should be putting in more use, but since I got the Katz Eye screen calibrated I seem to be unable to let go of A 50/1.2...
06-14-2010, 05:40 AM   #96
Veteran Member

I, hopefully, have a number of years to use the lenses I own. What I use today isn't probably what I will use tommorow, but what I bought yesterday, seems to be a lot harder to buy today, so I think I'll keep it for tomorrow.

Thank you
Russell
06-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #97
Veteran Member

One last comment before I go: I sometimes (deluded myself that I really) bought specific lenses for specific purposes. Others I bought because they seemed quite weird, like my Schneider Betavaron fixed-focus enlarger zoom. Others I bought just because they were cheap and I wondered how they would perform. I'm especially gratified to find some sleeper that really KICKS ASS. Yes, I gotta kiss a few frogs to find that princess, but she's worth it. Some I bought for comparisons -- are there really visible differences between Japanese, Korean, E/W German, Russian glass? (No verdict yet.) So those are my excuses, and I'll stick with them. Bye now.
06-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Yes I use all my lenses although I don't own many at all. The only one I have never really used is an old Kiron 28-70 with an aperture stuck wide open. Maybe I'll give it a go anyway, see how it renders...