Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Are you really using all of the lenses you own?

Disclaimer: I am only a casual photographer. Not a pro.

I have only three lenses:

Sigma 17-70mm
Pentax DA 50-200mm
Sigma Macro 50mm f/2.8

Sigma 17-70mm stays pretty much all the time on the K10D body. I have used macro lens only once and 50-200mm maybe five times since I got them about half a year ago. I usually take my camera for bike riding or to the park where my two year old kid plays so I only grab one lens and the camera. 90% of the time Sigma's 17-70mm focal length covers all my needs. Another 5% of the remaining 10% I can just simply get closer to the subject :-)

So it looks like I really do not need the extra two lenses. They just sit in the bag. I am thinking now about selling them to fund either dedicated P-TTL flash or maybe the DA 55-300mm. Flash would be better investment for me (me thinks).

What's your story. I know that a lot of you have way more lenses that I do but do you use them all?

07-15-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
Inactive Account

My wife and I use all of the lenses we have, however our lenses are all specific in purpose and are used in different ways for creative means during a photo shoot.

The only lens I have that I don't use (we bought early on and found that we never shoot beyond 75mm) is our DA 50-200. It's currently up for auction on Ebay.

Tamron 28-75 = main lens
FA 50 1.4 = short tele for portraits
FA 77 1.8 = just p/u. going to be a longer tele for portraits and candids
Sigma 70mm macro = used for stock photography

Some of the folks on this message board have hoards of lenses....given how I use the camera I can't imagine how they could use them all very frequently. Each lens is unique in it's own way though...so if you want a specific effect it's easiest to do it with a specific lens.

c[_]
07-15-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I try and rotate my lenses so that they all get some use. For example, I'll put the 70mm lens into the bag and use it when I want a short telephoto, and then I'll take it out and put in the 77 instead. I think the only lenses I haven't used in years are the A15/3.5, 17mm fisheye Super Takumar, A20/2.8, my 3 K50/1.4s, M40/2.8, A50/1.7 and M50/2.8 macro, which I keep forgetting I own.

I suppose the question I have to ask is why would you sell one unused lens to fund the purchase of what is, more or less, the same thing? If you aren't using the 50-200, it isn't likely you will use the 55-300 either. I'd keep the macro. Even though it's a Stigma, a macro lens is a good thing to have, and nothing can really take it's place, other than another macro. A flash can be a good thing, though I use mine surprisingly infrequently, to the point I question why I spent big bucks on an AF550FGZ flash when a hundred dollar auto flash would be almost as useful to me.
07-15-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
What's your story. I know that a lot of you have way more lenses that I do but do you use them all?
Well...yeah. But not all at once. Some of them sit a few months in between uses.

07-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe it is time to take those unloved, unused lenses out of the bag and give them a chance to show you what they can do. You can even post your results on the "Lonely Lens Club" thread!

Your macro lens would be a good start. The challenges of lighting and composition when the subject is small should be a good creative stimulus. I own the Sigma 50/2.8 Macro. It is a good tool. You don't have to be working at the near extreme of its focus range. Try taking pictures of everyday objects but from a closer/tighter perspective than you normally would.

As for your 50-200...I have much the same problem. I seldom shoot at focal lengths longer than my 85mm. I simply don't look at the world through telephoto eyes. I even have a difficulties as times with the 85mm in that I forget the difference in perspective with even a short tele. So the assignment might be to spend some time at the zoo using your long zoom for its intended purpose.

With any luck, you will be able to get some great images, widen your photographic talents, and get your money's worth from the lenses you own rather than selling below value on the used market.

Steve
07-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I suppose the question I have to ask is why would you sell one unused lens to fund the purchase of what is, more or less, the same thing? If you aren't using the 50-200, it isn't likely you will use the 55-300 either. I'd keep the macro. Even though it's a Stigma, a macro lens is a good thing to have, and nothing can really take it's place, other than another macro. A flash can be a good thing, though I use mine surprisingly infrequently, to the point I question why I spent big bucks on an AF550FGZ flash when a hundred dollar auto flash would be almost as useful to me.
I used to have Sigma 70-300mm which I used a lot. Mainly because this was before I acquired 17-70mm and only had kit lens to complement the 70-300mm. I would find few occasions (like the mentioned Zoo) that I would like to have longer than 70mm zoom but they are rare. Like I said, flash would be better investment for me.

I guess my problem is that once I got all the lenses, it is hard to sell them if it means reducing your inventory. I agree that I should keep the macro lens but in my situation, I do have to sell something to fund new purchase. Maybe I will sell the DA 50-200mm and get P-TTL flash.

Thanks for replies.
07-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sort of. i buy and sell a lot of gear as I narrow down what works for me in terms of focal length, size, weight and general travel and "serious" kits.

07-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Pretty much, yes.

The only ones I don't really use are the M50/1.7 (I now have the F50/1.7), the Hanimex 135mm f/2.8 (which I got for free with an SP1000 body), and the Tamron 28mm f/2.5 (which I bought mainly for the K-mount Adaptall coupler - but I have not bought another Adaptall lens since )

Of my younger lenses, the F50/1.7 sees the least action. The FOV of the FA35/2 is generally more useful to me.
07-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #9

Don't use nearly all of them! Pulled all out the other night to do an inventory and was thinking, wow, I need to use all of these. I do find that I tend to find a "favorite" lens and it stays on the camera pretty much 99% of the time. Right now it's my Tamron 28-80 af, but my old favorite Vivitar Series 1 28-105 manual focus is intriguing me once again (it was my favorite on my MX about 20 years ago!).

It also doesn't help that I a technical gadget pack rat, just like my Father is. He gave me a big ole bag of Pentax stuff basically on "permanent loan" so I have that in addition to my own stuff.
07-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
What! Pentax A 15mm not being used

Wheatfield,

If you think of selling the A 15mm I am your man
07-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I use all of them,
-------------------------------
DA 10-17, 50-200
FA 31 1.8, 50 1.4, FA 300 4.5
A 85 1.4, A 24 2.8
--------------------------------
the 31mm is always fitted on.
the ones I use less are the 24mm and the 300mm,
the 24 mm is too close of the 31, that is why I would like a 15mm.
the 300 will serve me when the kids will grow up.
Cheers
07-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Well...yeah. But not all at once. Some of them sit a few months in between uses.
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Sort of. i buy and sell a lot of gear as I narrow down what works for me in terms of focal length, size, weight and general travel and "serious" kits.
+1. As a result of the latter quote, there is occasionally a lens that will sit at any given time. This is usually my clue I don't require its talents. I've tried to narrow things down to multi-talented lenses, like the Voigtlander VL125 who is a great tele and macro. Makes carrying around a versatile kit a lot lighter when several lenses can pull double duties like that and I use each lens more as a result.
07-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

When I was using the ME Super, I had two lenses - SMC-A 50mm 1.7 and a Sigma 28-200 superzoom.

Then I got the K10D, and the possibilities opened up, since experimentation became cheap and the results immediate.

So I was a beginner all over again, and bought quite a few cheapish lenses over the course of a year.

Now I'm in the process of getting rid of the ones I decided I didn't need, or wasn't happy with. These include:

- FAJ 75-300
- FA 80-320
- Sigma 600mm mirror
- A 28-80
- Sigma A 400mm F5.6 (MF)
- Takumar teleconverter

And probably soon:

- SMC-A 28mm F2.8
- SMC-A 50mm F2

The ones I'm keeping are:

- Sigma 10-20 EX DC
- Sigma A 400mm F5.6 (AF)
- SMC-A 50mm F1.7
- SMC-A 400mm F5.6
- DA 18-55 Mk1
- FA 28-200
- SMC-A 100mm macro F4
- and probably DA 55-300 (imminent arrival)

I need wide and long in approximately equal proportions, so most of these do get used a reasonable amount. The only exception is the SMC-A 400mm, which is a lot larger and heavier than the Sigma, so its optical superiority is often sacrificed for portability.
07-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, you guys do have a lot of lenses and it looks like you use them all (or almost all). I guess I shouldn't complain then since I own only 3 lenses and they are not even overlapping that much in focal length :-)
07-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #15

Yeah, I have several I'm not using. Most of them are consumer 70-210s or 80-200s that got thrown in when I bought a lens that I was looking for. One or two are sitting waiting for minor repairs before I use them (sticky blades and such). And one or two are waiting for specific times that haven't come up yet.