Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2016, 09:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help for disassembling Takumar 135mm

I have a doubt in disassembling the frontal element of my Tukumar (Bayonet) 135 mm f 2.5.
I need to separate or at least take off, one of the two glass elements of the frontal assembly in order to gain access to them and be able to clean some fungus from their surfaces.
I tried unscrewing the metallic ring that fixes the frontal glass but it is too thin and there is high risk of damaging the glass or the filter thread, so I desisted. My other option is unscrewing the back glass element but it is too hard to do it by hand. I know there are some griping tools that could be used to it. Could someone add any ideas to help me solve this? Please see pictures attached.

Attached Images

Last edited by JoseFF; 06-30-2016 at 04:38 PM.
05-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is it really dirty enough to warrant doing it?If so use two strap wrenches made of rubber. If it is only dust I woud avise you to leave it be
05-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't know if it is possible these cheap k-mount takumars might be glued. I opened up mine and saw some white residue that might be glue.
05-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I don't know if it is possible these cheap k-mount takumars might be glued. I opened up mine and saw some white residue that might be glue.
Were you able to get it together back? How did you manage to open it? Did you open front and rear assembles? In my case only the front one is infected.

05-30-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JoseFF Quote
Were you able to get it together back? How did you manage to open it? Did you open front and rear assembles? In my case only the front one is infected.
use some mek on the threads only ,apply with q-tips and wait 3 min then try. oh and dont get that mek on your lens
05-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I just screwed out the front group (Like opening a jar, possible with a lot of 135 and 200mm legacy glass) and took a look at it and screwed it right back. Couldn't open the group manually and there are no screws or leverage points. I wouldn't worry about a little dust too much. Maybe you can move it to the side by knocking the group on a table top a bit or putting it on something that vibrates.
05-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a doubt in disassembling the frontal element of my Tukumar (Bayonet) 135 mm f 2.5.
I need to separate or at least take off, one of the two glass elements of the frontal assembly in order to gain access to them and be able to clean some fungus from their surfaces.
I tried unscrewing the metallic ring that fixes the frontal glass but it is too thin and there is high risk of damaging the glass or the filter thread, so I desisted. My other option is unscrewing the back glass element but it is too hard to do it by hand. I know there are some griping tools that could be used to it. Could someone add any ideas to help me solve this? Please see pictures attached.
You might find some info here; Maintenance and Repair Articles - PentaxForums.com

05-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I just screwed out the front group (Like opening a jar, possible with a lot of 135 and 200mm legacy glass) and took a look at it and screwed it right back. Couldn't open the group manually and there are no screws or leverage points. I wouldn't worry about a little dust too much. Maybe you can move it to the side by knocking the group on a table top a bit or putting it on something that vibrates.
Did you find rests of glue in the thread that you opened like a jar? That thread in mine was very clean. As a matter of fact, it was pretty easy to unscrew.
But it is not dust, what it has is fungus adhered to the glass, to clean it, it needs to be opened...
05-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Did you find rests of glue in the thread that you opened like a jar? That thread in mine was very clean. As a matter of fact, it was pretty easy to unscrew.
But it is not dust, what it has is fungus adhered to the glass, to clean it, it needs to be opened...
No the suspected glue is on/in de front group itself, not between the front group and the rest of the lens.
05-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
use some mek on the threads only ,apply with q-tips and wait 3 min then try. oh and dont get that mek on your lens
Thank you Niceshot here is a link that can help you with your project.

Maintenance and Repair Articles - PentaxForums.com

05-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Niceshot here is a link that can help you with your project.

Maintenance and Repair Articles - PentaxForums.com

drizzle the mek in between the threads and do it a few time and then use a strap wrench good luck. Oh if it is not real bad just leave it alone