Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
D FA 28-105mm on a K-3ii or other crop sensor camera?

I am interested in perhaps using the 28-105mm on a crop body. Has anyone used this lens in that manner, and how would it compare to the 18-135 and 16-85?

05-31-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Obviously you lose the wide end as 28mm is not all that wide on a crop sensor. Quality of the images, at least from the initial reports seems excellent. No head to head reports yet though.
05-31-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I could afford $500 for that lens, I'd do a head to head comparison with its direct predecessor the FA 28-105 f/4-5.6 (IF) for you, on the K-3II. I wouldn't be able to test on a K-50 due to it not having a manual aperture. But if I ever do buy the lens, I will do the head to head comp.
06-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello fellow Pentax lovers,

Over here in rainy Wales I've been suffering from a bit of PTSD after the BREXIT vote which may have inadvertently pressed the national self destruct button, so to cheer myself up I've spent some cash on a Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm to use with my beloved K3. I chose the 28-105 for a number of reasons such as I might want to go K1 at some point and I've given most of my WR lenses to my daughters (both K50 users), also Ricoh EU sent me a 10% discount voucher for my birthday (in a fortnight's time if you want to send me a card). :-), I am also hedging my bets that the value of the GBP might head through the mantle down towards the core.

The reviews I've read so far about this lens have varied between very good and excellent but I can't find much about using this FA beasty on an APS-C. There is the obvious shortage of wide angle but does the cropping mean wall to wall sharpness? I also wonder if the big light gathering ability means I might be able to use my 1.4x teleconverter a bit (yes I know it says not above F4)?

Anyway, if Ricoh get their act together and the French don't impose a blockade, I expect to receive my new lens by the end of the week. In the meanwhile has anybody used a FA 28-105mm on a K3? Does it work? Am I an idiot?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Nick

06-28-2016, 04:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
Nick,

I am interested in hearing your thoughts about the 28-105 on the K3 after it arrives. I have considered it for similar reasons, and am waiting for "reviews" from users.

About the Brexit situation: I think we're all in for ride, even at some distance from the epicenter.

Elliot
06-28-2016, 05:14 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nickrs,

Not being in the EU certainly hasn't hurt Switzerland. I think it better for England in the long run too. I think it funny that Scotland wants out of Great Britain but in on the EU. I think that Europe really needs to decide what it wants to be. A vibrant collection of diverse cultures or a large area controlled by bureaucrats in Brussels. No bureaucracy can tolerate diversity. It must have compliance to be successful. Culture is not only cuisine and costume. It is also a way of life and a set of values. The EU is forcing a common set of values and way of life on people and I do not think that this is necessarily a good thing. Cheer up. Still a lot less damaging that the European struggles of the last century,

Now back on subject. I own the 28-105 and it has been a very good performer on my K1, It can only be better on my K3, K5 or K5-IIs. The reason that I have never used it on my ASP-c cameras is that it is not a range that I need for them I already have that covered by other lenses. While my 70-21 and 150-450 lenses get used on both all the time the 28-105 simply is not needed for ASP-c with what already have.
06-28-2016, 05:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
Nick,

I am interested in hearing your thoughts about the 28-105 on the K3 after it arrives. I have considered it for similar reasons, and am waiting for "reviews" from users.

About the Brexit situation: I think we're all in for ride, even at some distance from the epicenter.

Elliot
Thanks for your reply Elliot, I will certainly reply to this thread with my impressions of the 28-105 on the K3.

As I anticipated the value of Sterling has indeed weakened significantly but seems to be stabilising a bit today. Some bloke with a cigar once said "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning", the BREXIT soap opera has only just started and contrary to what some are saying there was no overwhelming mandate from the electorate.

Nick.
06-28-2016, 05:34 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote
Thanks for your reply Elliot, I will certainly reply to this thread with my impressions of the 28-105 on the K3.

As I anticipated the value of Sterling has indeed weakened significantly but seems to be stabilising a bit today. Some bloke with a cigar once said "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning", the BREXIT soap opera has only just started and contrary to what some are saying there was no overwhelming mandate from the electorate.

Nick.
I agree, But the winning side always claims an overwhelming mandate, Besides, you could have woken up to this this morning.

06-28-2016, 06:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Nickrs,

Not being in the EU certainly hasn't hurt Switzerland. I think it better for England in the long run too. I think it funny that Scotland wants out of Great Britain but in on the EU. I think that Europe really needs to decide what it wants to be. A vibrant collection of diverse cultures or a large area controlled by bureaucrats in Brussels. No bureaucracy can tolerate diversity. It must have compliance to be successful. Culture is not only cuisine and costume. It is also a way of life and a set of values. The EU is forcing a common set of values and way of life on people and I do not think that this is necessarily a good thing. Cheer up. Still a lot less damaging that the European struggles of the last century,

Now back on subject. I own the 28-105 and it has been a very good performer on my K1, It can only be better on my K3, K5 or K5-IIs. The reason that I have never used it on my ASP-c cameras is that it is not a range that I need for them I already have that covered by other lenses. While my 70-21 and 150-450 lenses get used on both all the time the 28-105 simply is not needed for ASP-c with what already have.
Hi,

That is really helpful thanks. I have a variety of primes but for the last year or so I've been relying on my Sigma 18-250 superzoom for general photography and this lens is not weather proof of course. I have a Sigma 10-20 along with a Sigma 10mm fisheye and a Lensbaby 5.8mm circular fisheye (for really fun stuff) so I think the wide angle angle (!) is pretty well covered. At the long end I have a 100mm F2.8 Macro, a DA* F4 300mm and a 1.4 teleconverter and in the middle I have a 50mm F1.7 and a 40mm F2.8 XS, so with the 28-105 I think I should be sorted.

As for BREXIT, it has split the country down the middle and re-opened the Scots debate and we are only three days in. This is going to rumble on and on and on.

N

---------- Post added 06-28-16 at 02:08 PM ----------

I agree, But the winning side always claims an overwhelming mandate, Besides, you could have woken up to this this morning.
Yes that's cool but I've just tripped over some cobbles in Montgomery on my way to pick up my photo magazine and head-butted a huge metal bucket containing a tree. I don't think my nose is broken but there was blood and snot everywhere and I now look like a Syrian, and it's raining, again! :-)
06-28-2016, 06:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My day just got better as my new lens have arrived! :-D I ordered it from Ricoh's own on-line store on Sunday as they had sent me a birthday voucher for 10% off, so Germany to Mid Wales in 1.5 days.

Below is the first photo and I it is soooooooooo sharp, and this has been scaled down and saved as a jpg, the RAW image really is wonderful. I'm so looking forward to trying out but it is raining heavily at the moment and my face looks like I've head-butted a tree, which I have. :-)
Attached Images

06-28-2016, 07:50 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am glad it arrived. Outside it will work about like this. This is from my K1 at 28mm. I did crop a bit from the top and bottom. Enjoy this lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am glad it arrived. Outside it will work about like this. This is from my K1 at 28mm. I did crop a bit from the top and bottom. Enjoy this lens.
Wow, Can't wait to get outside to try my new lens out. I think my suspicion that on an APS-C camera this lens will really excel might be correct, my D-FA F2.8 100mm MACRO is really sharp from corner to corner, possibly because of the crop, and this new D-FA zoom looks as though it will be the same.
Attached Images

06-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I managed to get outside this evening at around sunset to play with my new lens on my K3. Very pleased!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo