Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2016, 05:59 PM   #61
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Mac PCs are better than Windows PCs because more pros use them.. so get a Mac if you want to use that microphone (novice musician/customer came in wanting to buy a basic microphone to connect to her PC --- the gist of what I heard while in line in a guitar center a few years ago).

If they hear someone badly picking the intro to 'Stairway to Heaven' in their shop, a salesman is morally obligated to upsell them big time.

06-06-2016, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Man, you car freaks need to get a room...
06-07-2016, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Man, you car freaks need to get a room...
Right. One with four wheels?
06-07-2016, 02:30 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mac PCs are better than Windows PCs because more pros use them
In my workplace there is a pretty even number of Mac Vs PC users. Personally I'm a PC user, but that is because I have a personal preference for the type and make of hardware I use. I build my own Pc's I carefully select the hardware I use, and I have several brands that I have remained loyal to. Switching to Mac would probably be OK for me,their hardware is pretty standardized: but it is far from my Ideal.

06-07-2016, 03:55 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
NEWSFLASH! Pentax Doesn't Make Lenses O.O
So this just happened in a FB photography group with the commonplace "what camera should I get" thread...

I'm at a loss for words. Is this legitimately a widely held belief? Because I've never come across this before...

-Heie
Because Pentax has released the K-1, and two of the lenses are made by Tamron, some might assume that Pentax doesn't make its own glass. Professional photographers will hold companies like Canikon with higher esteem because they believe that their lenses are made in-house. I believe that canikon will outsource the manufacture of some of their lenses to other makers.

Pentax and Sony seem to outsource or collaborate a fair bit, but this shouldn't disqualify a brand. Sony went with Zeiss, Panasonic outsources I think Leica lenses. I mean, its more of a prestige thing really.

What has disqualified a brand in the past was the lack of lenses. Then when the camera manufacturer produces new lenses, they get criticized for those lenses that are outsourced.

Its attitudes by the photography fraternity like this that turns me off of canikon.

---------- Post added 06-07-16 at 09:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The better analogy might be, "Does Ferrarri forge its own special alloy for its pistons?" If not, is Ferrarri really a car-maker, or merely a lowly assembler?
I think alloys are standardized, Mahl pistons usually use 4032 grade alloy, and I think Borgo in Italy have made Pistons for Ferrari from 2618 alloy. Mahl make pistons for Porsche and Carrillo of Italy make the connecting rods.
06-07-2016, 04:53 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
In my workplace there is a pretty even number of Mac Vs PC users. Personally I'm a PC user, but that is because I have a personal preference for the type and make of hardware I use. I build my own Pc's I carefully select the hardware I use, and I have several brands that I have remained loyal to. Switching to Mac would probably be OK for me,their hardware is pretty standardized: but it is far from my Ideal.
For some reason, I just wanted to give a shout out. I have a MacBook Pro from 2008 and the disappointing thing is that I may never need another computer - no new toy It still works beautifully and fast. I think the macs are well engineered but like you say, PCs give you customization, which is necessary sometimes.

Last edited by k5astro; 06-07-2016 at 04:54 AM. Reason: reformat
06-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
For some reason, I just wanted to give a shout out. I have a MacBook Pro from 2008 and the disappointing thing is that I may never need another computer - no new toy It still works beautifully and fast. I think the macs are well engineered but like you say, PCs give you customization, which is necessary sometimes.
Mine had many issues and died after 3 years. You can't really conclude from a single experience in a way or another.

I replaced the mac laptop by a desktop I made myself so it cost 1/3 of the price for the same spec -half because it is desktop, half because i don't pay the Mac assembler margin) simply because by then I had a mortage and could not afford the luxury that a mac is. Don't say it is bad, i love the design, but too expensive and I didn't experience the legendary reliability. I also needed at least a fast 4 core to get good performance for photo editing and that was crazy expensive on mac as a way of market segmentation.

06-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Mac PCs are better than Windows PCs because more pros use them.. so get a Mac if you want to use that microphone (novice musician/customer came in wanting to buy a basic microphone to connect to her PC --- the gist of what I heard while in line in a guitar center a few years ago).
I don't know for music, but for devs, all the guys that go to conference and present things have mac. It also provide a nice linux like environement with a window manager that actually work. At work I migrated to Linux recently and this is a pain half of the things I need (software) don't work or have more bugs. But I also get a much better dev env than on windows...

Theses things are tools, so use the one that work for you . would be stupid to be mac, windows or linux fanatic just because. Depend what you need and what the things are providing to you.
06-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I also needed at least a fast 4 core to get good performance for photo editing and that was crazy expensive on mac as a way of market segmentation.
This is one of the things I dislike most about proprietary hardware manufacturers - especially computers. With PC there is no market segregation, PC users can use and have whatever the hell they want in and connected to their systems. No-one is barred from putting a high performance mobo/cpu/ram/videocard in a cheap NZXT chassis. MACs are well designed devices, but you are financially penalized for the high performance offerings which have all the extra and often un-needed trimmings.
06-29-2016, 12:55 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back to the indisputable fact that Pentax doesn't make FF lenses!

Walked into the Camera shop in Darwin today and was delighted to see they had a K-1 on display, and looked but there were no FF lenses to go with it. I was secretly hoping they'd have a 15-30 or a 24-70 I could have a look at and take home, but was really there (ahem, cough cough) just to buy a couple of filters. On the K-1 I had the FA43 and in my bag I had the 28-105, both "in production" FF lenses.

Anyway...pulled out the lens and camera with lens attached and checked filter sizes needed, got filters and asked whether they had any of the Pentax FF lenses in stock.

....wait for it

.....She told me Pentax doesn't make any FF lenses for the K-1 yet!!!!!!!!!!

I pointed out the two I had with me that were both FF, and said that they make a host of others, and she still said Pentax doesn't make FF lenses....can't get the parts to make the lenses, none in Australia, earthquake in Japan. I said that they are in fact available from CRK and a host of other places and she came back with the no stock in Australia yet, will be ages before anyone can get them etc

This is while I was standing right there in front of her holding a K-1 and two FF lenses...

Uhmmmmm

I sort of commented that I had heard CRK were sometimes a bit of a challenge for shops to deal with trying to give her a way out, and she said they had no problems in getting stuff sent up overnight...so clearly not a CRK issue...

To me, it's fine that they didn't have the lenses...Darwin is a small place and the Pentax market would not be big and I was actually very surprised to find they had a K-1 on the shelf, but to be told FF lenses for the K-1 didn't exist when I had 2 on my person ...well....

No offer to check on whether they could get stock, no pretense of interest or knowledge.

I guess I should be grateful to her for saving me a bit over $2000 (for now).
06-29-2016, 02:18 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
I pointed out the two I had with me that were both FF, and said that they make a host of others, and she still said Pentax doesn't make FF lenses....can't get the parts to make the lenses, none in Australia, earthquake in Japan. I said that they are in fact available from CRK and a host of other places and she came back with the no stock in Australia yet, will be ages before anyone can get them etc
That sales rep has no purpose working there if she has no knowledge of current product lines. You should have spoken to the manager.

Japan has over the past 11 days experienced 8 earthquakes over magnitude 4.5* . California, which has been referred to as "gods etch-a-sketch" has experienced only 1 earthquake over the magnitude of 4.5** in the past 30 days.

Considering the strength and frequency of earthquakes, it is a wonder that anything gets produced in japan.

*Today's Earthquakes in Japan
**Latest Earthquakes USGS

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-29-2016 at 02:24 AM.
06-29-2016, 03:15 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
You should have spoken to the manager.
Yeah, I know. I have bought a lens (or perhaps two?) on previous trips and have found the manager and the other chap who works/worked there helpful - I spend quite a bit of time up here in the NT.

After getting back out to my daughter's place I had a quick look for an email contact or feedback form with that thought but was unsuccessful. If I am in town again this stay I might drop by and see if he's around...it's a good store and it even has a lovely old round PENTAX sign suspended from the awning out the front...always makes me smile to see that sign.

Saying "I don't know" or "our throughput of Pentax does warrant us carrying their their high end lenses" perhaps backed up by an offer to look see what's available would be preferable.

Snippy salesgirls providing blatantly wrong info don't impress me though.