Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2016, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New Generation of * lenses

Ok, I just got my DFA* 70-200 f/2.8

If this lens is what is to come, from Pentax star lenses, then I am beyond pleased!
This lens was delayed...and if the sharpness and color or whatever was tweaked in that time, then it says a few things about the folks over at Pentax.

Unbelievable how sharp this lens is.
I am speechless in how optically this lens is.

Well done.
Worth every penny.
I can't believe how tack sharp this lens is.

06-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Unbelievable how sharp this lens is. I am speechless in how optically this lens is.
Yup, optically the thing is pretty darn amazing. Completely blows the FA* lens out of the water.

If only that zoom ring were a little bit lighter to turn...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-01-2016, 04:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

So, you think primes have finally lost the battle?
06-01-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
So, you think primes have finally lost the battle?
Size and weight are still formidable opponents

06-01-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
k22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Size and weight are still formidable opponents
Max aperture too...
06-01-2016, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But compared to two to three primes? And how often do you need 1.4 on FF? I like primes myself, but its becoming a harder sell.
06-01-2016, 06:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Everything I've seen from this lens looks amazing. I just don't think I could handle the size/weight for any length of time.

06-01-2016, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Well I struggled with this problem and when I worked it all out, went for the primes. Here's the comparison (UK street prices):

£1849 DA* 70-200 f2.8 - 2030 grams
-----------------------

£779 DA* 200 f2.8 - 825 g
£459 DFA 100 f2.8 - 340g
£329 DFA 50 f2.8 - 265g
---------
£1567 - 1430 g.

Same apertures, wider range, cheaper, lighter. Less convenient in action of course but the individual lighter weights help a lot, and there may be questions about the DA* 200's edge quality on K-1. But ouch! That weight is what puts me off bigger wide aperture zooms. Even if adding a 55-300WR (£279, 466g) as backup still ends up with the 4 lenses weighing and costing the same as the zoom.

The decision was far from clear cut but I now have the 100 DFA, 200 DA*, 300 DA* and 1.4 converter to handle my telephoto needs, much as the zoom tempted me!
06-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I wonder how much sharper it is than the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 and how much heavier. Also, it can't be nearly as heavy as the K1 + DFA 150-450!
06-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I own the Tamron, and *if* the Tamron hits the correct focus, based on the what the K1/K3 tells it to stop at...as screw drive can only be *just-so-accurate*...then you get a great sharp image.
However, the DFA* 70-200 lens kills it every time and it's noticeably sharper, like crazy so.
Yes, the lens is big and heavy, but that is to be expected for a FF with f/2.8
I don't think primes have lost the battle, but something happened with this lens.
Either the engineers got better training, or they bought better equipment/calibration, or maybe they hired better lens designers?
Maybe after so many years, someone lit a fire under someone, and now we have a spectacular lens.
06-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I am in the unhappy position of having bought the D FA* 70-200 a week ago and had it shipped to my home address (there was a short-lived unusually good deal going at the time), ... but I'm travelling and won't be home for 3 weeks! So it's sitting on my desk at home but I've not laid eyes on it yet (apart from the iPhone pics my wife took to confirm all looks correct).

A bit frustrating! I'm looking forward to trying it out on my K3 when I get home, and on a K1 later in the year. It's comforting to hear all the good reports in this thread.
06-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I am in the unhappy position of having bought the D FA* 70-200 a week ago and had it shipped to my home address (there was a short-lived unusually good deal going at the time), ... but I'm travelling and won't be home for 3 weeks! So it's sitting on my desk at home but I've not laid eyes on it yet (apart from the iPhone pics my wife took to confirm all looks correct).

A bit frustrating! I'm looking forward to trying it out on my K3 when I get home, and on a K1 later in the year. It's comforting to hear all the good reports in this thread.
If you won't be home for 3 weeks...and you're some place that is photogenic...it sounds like your wife needs to FedEx/2 Day Air or whatnot to get you close to your lens!

It's what we do as wives!

06-01-2016, 09:54 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
If you won't be home for 3 weeks...and you're some place that is photogenic...it sounds like your wife needs to FedEx/2 Day Air or whatnot to get you close to your lens!

It's what we do as wives!

She's in Australia, I'm in Colorado. Not practical. A bit heavy to be dragging around the world anyway.
06-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I wonder how much sharper it is than the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 and how much heavier. Also, it can't be nearly as heavy as the K1 + DFA 150-450!
After a few weeks of wait on my uncless house, i finaly retrieve the K1 and the DFA70-200 a few hours ago, and is heavier, but (at least for me) not "that" heavy, compared to the Tamron, yes, the "barrel" is wider, but it feel more well constructed, the focus and FL rings are more stiffer than the tamron, but in size they are very similar maybe 1cm (about 1/3 inch) taller the Pentax.

I can say is, at first i feel very dissapointed about the focusing speed, i think it was very slow, then i try the tamron, WAY more faster, the i give it a try to my other lenses, 43/77/31/100WR/28-75Tamron, then the Tamron again, and finally got back to the DFA*, and i realized it was as fast as the Tamron, but i feel it slower because i cant hear it the same as the Tamron with the screwdriver, just a very subtle "hummmm".... the sound that the Pentax lens make is like hear the engine of a Electric Prius roar.... not too exciting
06-02-2016, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
the sound that the Pentax lens make is like hear the engine of a Electric Prius roar.... not too exciting
Sometimes boring is good