Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro

What do you all think of this lens. I am thinking about getting for macro shooting but also highschool indoor basketball.?

Thanks
Jim

07-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
What do you all think of this lens. I am thinking about getting for macro shooting but also highschool indoor basketball.?

Thanks
Jim
It does well enough for macro (though not a "true" macro), and is impressively sharp generally speaking, some say it rivals some primes. I can say that it is very satisfying for me, and is my everyday lens.

You can visit the Pentax Lenses database here and view other's opinion about it. You fill see that almost everyone who tried it loved it.

However, it might not be fast enough (fast as in wide aperture) for indoors basketball. Even though your eyes will tell you that lighting is good enough, in fact that is a low light environment. The Sigma is fast at the wide end of the zoom, but not so much at the tele end that you are likely to use. You could compensate by increasing the ISO value, but you can only increase so much... You would be better served by a faster lens (maybe a prime?) for that particular scene.

Another option would be the Tamson 24-75, also highly regarded and a constant f2,8 through the range. It,s not as wide as the Sigma, however, and I'm not sure about macro with this lens.
07-16-2008, 05:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think its a great walk around lens for Pentax bodies given are limited choices in zoom walkarounds, this is up thier with the best for the money. However its not a dedicated macro, and probably not the best choice for indoor basketball games. I am guessing you want to get 'close' to the players and will need moderate telephoto. At the 50-70mm range the Sigma is not the fastest lens in the world you are looking at least f5.6 to get good IQ, I suppose you can up the iso and be OK, and if you want wide angle shots of the court and audience it will do that very well. So it will be a lens of compromise for you, in those situations. I am thinking as the other poster and maybe a prime, maybe a fast high quality mid-range telephoto, maybe a lens like the 18-250mm. Tough because you want macro and cover a whole basketball game indoors! IMO it seems the new Pentax 55-300mm would cover games well, a disclaimer I own that lens and love it. Its usable wide open and you would rarely need the 300mm f5.8 end, and from 55- ~200mm you will be more at f4.5 with sharp results better than the Sigma, but no macro.
07-16-2008, 06:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi jamesm007 and bdery and thanks for your replies. Here is a little more info. I will also be using a 135 mm 2.8 lens for shooting down the court. All I'm looking for is a lense to shoot up close to maybe 1/2 court range. I will be using both my k10d and my k100d so one lens would be on each lens ready to go. As far as the macro function, I do like shooting macros and I do have a couple of macro lenses already. So this lens doesn't really need to be a macro lens at all. I hope this explains a little bit more of what equipment I am planning on using. So the 15 lens will be for shooting down the court and the 17-?? will be for shooting on the end of the court I will be standing at.

Thanks
Jim

07-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Jm, in that case it seems you have your bases well covered. The Sigma could be a very balanced choice in your kit. It's not a 1:1 macro (it's 1:2,5 I think) but you can still get excellent results with it, just not as big an enlargment as witha true macro. And as a walkaround lens it's an excellent choice.

My advice, based on your last post, would be to go to a store and test one. If it pleases you (ergonomy, etc) then go for it!
07-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks bdery, that is the one I will probably order by the end of the weekend.

Thanks
Jim
07-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #7

I have this lens for almost a month now. I went to San Francisco for the first time last weekend and it never left my K10D.

07-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks iamweasel I can't wait to get this lens. Oh and by the way I have already ordered it, so next week I should have it in my hands.

Jim
07-19-2008, 03:38 AM   #9

I love it very much
07-19-2008, 09:06 AM   #10

Hey, Jim. Mine arrives tomorrow.
07-19-2008, 11:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool I am feeling more and more positive about this purchase. Oh and Lawrence don't you be posting any pictures from that lens till I get mine!

Jim
07-20-2008, 03:28 AM   #12

I don't think you'll regret the purchase. It's a great general-purpose lens. Knocks spot off the kit lens, and while it's not a true macro it does get you pretty close.
07-20-2008, 03:36 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have this lens for four months now. I don't regret the purchase and I'm very satisfied with the results. It is the lens I put on, when I do not know, what the subjects will be.

07-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #14

great semi macro, landscape, and portrait in one lens.

What else can be said?
a: 17-70 at 58 f8.0 1/180s
b: 17-70 at 70mm wide open, 1/250s.. and you can make out the photographer's reflection in her twinkles
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by truonganh; 07-21-2008 at 08:54 PM.