Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rokinon 8mm Fisheye - Red Ring Shaped Flare?

SO I have a a new to me Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 fisheye. The lens is really fun and while I have only had it a short time I already really like it. I have read it is extremely flare resistant despite having the enormous front element bulging out there. So far as I can tell this is true however in a particular experiment trying to get nice starbursts from the sun I noticed that I could induce arcs of red ring shaped flare a the extreme edges. In addition there is a bright blue spot in 3 of these pictures. Both effects seem to only happen on one side of the frame but always "opposite", never on the same side - I haven't experimented enough to see if the source of illumination or the specific side of the lens is involved. The sun is behind thunderclouds now so further testing will have to wait...

Here are some SOOC jpgs just for the purpose of showing this.

I also included one without the flare despite being taken moments earlier in almost the same position/situation.

My concerns - is this possibly due to decentering? Is something else at work here. The flare is really distinct, but hard to induce, am I just obsessing over nothing? Can someone else duplicate my results?

EDIT: After uploading I see some of these are harder to see in this way than on my screen from raw. I may create some crops of the areas affected and brighten them slightly and upload.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-02-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're shooting straight into the sun. It's not unusual to see a flare in that situation.
06-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never had that problem with my 8mm, I am sure it is the angle you are shooting at.
06-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The red ring is odd, I have the lens and can find a couple of shots into the sun, no red ring. One does have a little blue flair, as you can see it is a little different, but kind of similar too. I agree with robgski

06-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Light as intense as midday sun on a clear day can bounce all over inside a lens with so many elements. For example off the edge of a big element then back across to the opposite side of the sensor, or even off the edge of the seam of a cemented pair of elements. Very difficult to know the path of the light leading to that reddish arc.
BTW: the backlit flower images are very nice.